JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: DVD movie thread  (Read 6684 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« on: December 18, 2005, 08:55:43 PM »

Just wondering what movies people have rented or watched lately?  Considering I don't care for the whole movie going experience, I rather rent them and watch at home for various reasons.

I watched Cinderella Man and Stealth on Friday, which is movie night with the friends.

My thoughts on Cinderalla Man.  Overall, a good movie.  If you like boxing, you will love this movie.  I liked the movie as it wasn't predictable (I really didn't know who was going to win the last fight).  Thumbs up.

My thoughts on Stealth.  One word: Lame. I love the fact they referred to the Stealth plane as new technology when GI JOE released a version some 17 years ago.  This means the technology is even older than that. I couldn't get past the American propaganda in this movie.  i.e. one American can get past North Korean enemy lines and saves the girl.  Whatever.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 09:01:26 AM »

Recently viewed:

Batman Begins - FANTASTIC

The Machinist - Quite good. Kept me guessing.

The Frighteners - Earlier Peter Jackson film. Good fun!

Godzilla: Final Wars - The big green guy has 1 more run. This time he's taking on a lot of his monster foes, including the American Godzilla!!. Lots of fun to be had here.

Serenity - Got an advance copy of this (comes out Tues) and all I can say is - AWESOME Sci-Fi film, even if you're not familiar with the TV show (firefly) that it is based off of.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
DVD movie thread
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 11:50:49 AM »

As Ed said, Batman Begins is fantastic. The 2nd best comic book movie ever made (and I'm a Marvel guy!)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
DVD movie thread
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 07:37:18 PM »

Batman Begins - Purely amazing!

Herbie Fully Loaded - Denises pick - but it was actually alright! I watched the old Herbie flicks, so I enjoyed it.

40 year Old Virgin - waste of time. It had it's moments, but I honestly didn't care for the flick.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 11:32:28 PM »

The last DVD's I watched were the Clone Wars cartoons Vol 1 and 2.  Not bad and they tie into Episode III nicely.

Batman Begins-great flick
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 08:33:37 AM »

Last night I watched Nine deaths of the ninja with a friend. Its an 80's ninja classic lol. Kind of movie I used to remake with my joes as a kid lol

The Island which was cool though it kinda like a Logan's run ripoff...
The Street Fighter trilogy with Sonny Chiba, wacky martial arts fun.
The detective with Frank Sinatra, an okay film.
Ninja Terminator (not as fun as it sounds)
Say no to AFA.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
DVD movie thread
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 09:10:58 AM »

40 year Old Virgin - waste of time. It had it's moments, but I honestly didn't care for the flick.

I thought it was really funny, but I wasn't too keen on the message that he had to choose between his toys and being an adult. Adults can be mature and still own toys!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 09:21:04 AM »

Quote from: ""Jon S.""

I thought it was really funny, but I wasn't too keen on the message that he had to choose between his toys and being an adult. Adults can be mature and still own toys!

I don't think he really loved the toys, he kept them MIP. In fact, he was collecting MIP when he was a kid.  Who the hell does that? It was a metaphor for how he was repressing his urges and waiting to enjoy life.

Interesting that MIP collecting makes a decent metaphor for sexual repression. I think I am going to go open my wall of spytroops figures now.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 09:41:25 AM »

Personally I loved the 40 year old virgin. I had a really good laugh at that one. I think Sheryl enjoyed watching me squirm while watching that film.

Also, I liked the Island. I was really into that film.

Dukes of Hazard - meh. Not the worst remake I've seen but not a great film.

War of the Worlds - not bad. Not much on a story but fun to watch.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 01:34:36 PM »

Sin City special edition - I liked Sin City, but I didn't think enough to buy it. Then this special edition came out. It includes a miniature TPB of the stories the film is based on, has three commentary tracks (I love listening to commentary while I paint, it's entertaining without needing visual focus, plus gives me tips about the industry), and breaks the three stories into individual shorts. Why is this last feature cool? Because the stories had to be paced with one another. So Clive's Owen fast paced story was slowed and Bruce Willis' slow story was quickened. On their own, they are allowed the time and speed they need.

Terminator 3 - This movie decided everything should be funnier. We end up with a weak plot that explains how the robots could have come to power despite the end of T2. The villain wasn't taken seriously, Arnold was looking his age, and the action wasn't up to T2 par. Continuity-wise it works, although I'm willing to admit a bigger fan of Terminator could point some problems out. Basically, rent if you need to see the next instalment of the series, not because you want a good action movie.

In theatres, I've seen a bunch with mixed feelings.

Rent: For a movie called Rent, you'd think the plot would involve having to pay the rent. Instead, this seems like the one problem these characters had solved by outside means repeatedly. Plus it's hard to take seriously after seeing Team America.

Proof: I liked. Between this and Good Will Hunting, I think I enjoy math-heavy movies that don't make me feel dumb or pandered to. Serious with some spots of humour, this is a well-balanced social drama.

Two for the Money: The trailors intrigued me enough to want to see it. Didn't catch it in theatres the first run, but thanks be to the Dollar Cinema. Of course, this movie ended up being a shrugger. There were some nice moments and it did create a vivid world of gambling helplines and raising stakes. But, the character arc didn't amount to much. He gets lazy and succeeds marvelously. He stays lazy and fails. He pulls up his socks and fails some more. Was there a point I missed?

Aeon Flux: Heh. It's okay. There's a story. It's not bad. There's a lot of action. It's kinda cool. But there isn't anything really original about this film. It's just out there. If it was the only action movie out there, it'd do fine, I figure. But it's got stiff competition.

Narnia: This might be the best movie I've seen this year. It's up there with Batman Begins. Strong character moments, very close to the source, amazing effects (nice to see prosthetics mixed in with CGI), and impressive acting. This does star four kids, it could have failed if even one of them couldn't keep up. See Narnia.

King Kong: I posted some of my problems on Joecustoms and the general opinion was that I was nitpicking. I'll just say that there's a lot of dumb action and really long scenes that drag this movie down. It's good enough to see, but the sentimental stuff is the high point, and the action is the low.

I think that's all I watched in the last two weeks. Will be checking out Walk the Line sometime this week. My friend tells me it's out of theatres this week.
Updated!

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
DVD movie thread
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 10:19:09 PM »

Ocean's Twelve- Not as great as Ocean's Eleven. I felt they had too much candid scenes with the characters that were intended to be funny, but left the audience out of the joke. Though things came together in the end, I felt it didn't compensate for the first hour of the movie I spent watching it.

The Terminal- I'm a Tom Hanks fan. Great story, and enjoyable, well-developed supporting characters.

Aliens Special Edition- Found it at Best Buy for $9.99. This movie is gold, it's worth twice than what I paid for it.  Maybe triple. Extra footages were sweet.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
DVD movie thread
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 12:33:34 AM »

Quote from: ""Redmao""
Ninja Terminator (not as fun as it sounds)

:lol: This sounds like a B movie.

Sounds like Batman got bumped up to #1 on the list.  Star Wars III can wait.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67