JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: X-Men 3: The Last Straw  (Read 3601 times)

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
X-Men 3: The Last Straw
« on: May 29, 2006, 05:43:57 PM »

I've already trashed this movie on three other message boards, but my fury exceeds their capacity (much like the fury of the Phoenix exceeds the mortal body of Jean Grey) The biggest slap in the face to all X-Men fans is that after having the bulk of the first three films devoted to Wolverine, he's going to have his own spin-off movie. When I think of all the screen time that went to him instead of other X-Men, I wonder if maybe it's the X-Men who need a spin-off movie away from Wolverine. Call it "the forgotten" and include obscure characters such as Archangel, Gambit, Psylocke, Colossus, Jubilee, Bishop, Havok and other characters who weren't given a fair shake in the films. But then, such a straight-to-DVD fodder release would probably tarnish the characters even more than X3 did (I'm the Juggernaut, b@#$h!)

At least there's a Magneto film on the way...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 10:44:52 AM »

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS***

No kidding around, if they knew Wolverine was set to get his own movie, wouldn't X3 have been the perfect time to move another character to the front line? make it the Cyclops or Proffessor X movie. Make up for Xavier being out of commission for the first two films' climaxes and for Cyclops getting kidnapped early on in X2. Instead they got even smaller parts to the point of being disrespectful to anyone who might actually like these characters. And outside of Beast, no other new character played any significant role or had any purpose on screen. Colossus was just there to throw Wolverine, Shadow Cat had a bit of presense but where she started and where she ended could hardly be called a character arc, and Angel's role was so small it felt like an in-joke the audience wasn't privy to.

I loved Beast and hated virtually everything else. But one of my favourite characters got "killed" off in the first ten minutes without any storyline purpose other than getting them out of the movie, so I switched off early.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:11:26 PM by Guest »
Updated!

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 11:02:11 AM »

I haven't even read this thread yet - and won't until I see it - so Jon, I'm asking you to "PLEASE" if there is any spoilers in your post, to go back and edit your post to state so - I'd hate to find out something that I don't want to know about yet.

Thanks.
mike

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 06:45:25 PM »

that worst huh?
I'll probably see it with some friends this week. I'll post my impressions.

A Wolverine movie?! Oh boy...
Say no to AFA.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:26:42 PM »

So I guess the movie sucked there Jon.  My brother didn't like it either.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 12:23:41 AM »

No spoilers in my post, Mike. Though it still might serve you best to see the movie first, then read my post so you can form your own opinion of the film without being influenced.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:34:36 PM »

Saw the movie last week--I really enjoyed the last two flicks but this was garbage.  It ranks right up there with Judge Dredd.  Major disappointment.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 11:14:51 PM »

F-ing no spoilers tags...

I found (the thing that has the same name as an 80's progressive rock band)  and odd concept, and the (doing what sadam was accused of doing with fuel rods) of that said (thing that had the same name as the band) would be the end of mutants.

And the thing that the (guy who was also in the LOTR trilogy) did to (the guy who was in Full House's wife) in the (where Optomus Prime keeps his mini vehicle) was a little disconcerting. Add that to his disregard for the (round headed  figures on a chess board) in the fight, and I didn't really like where they went with that.

Plus, If I was Oakley, I'd ask for my sponsorship money back for not enough product placement screen time, even though the glasses got more screen time than the guy wearing them.

I hope that was enough to get across my point without spoiling.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »

Rap's post totally reminded me of an episode of Star Trek TNG "Darmok" where the other captain's language consists of examples.  Nice!!!

X3.  Lots of great characters, but no character development.  Felt like an awkward attempt of an X-factor storyline (original team reunion) of a few years ago.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""

I hope that was enough to get across my point without spoiling.

I've seen the movie and I can barely make out your point.
Updated!

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 04:10:09 PM »

From a marketing perspective, comic book movies are excellent for getting people interested in the franchises, boosting sales in comics, toys, video games, books and other spin-off stuff. Naturally, having a successful movie will get more people into the line.

For some reason, I stopped reading the comics etc etc before the first two movies, which were excellent and never really got back into them. So it strikes me as strange that I've been on an X-Men spree since "The Last Straw" was released. I suppose I've been binging on X-Men TPB's and the Warner cartoon in an effort to purge all thoughts of Ratner's horrible film.

Yes... binging and purging... "The Last Straw" has given me a true disorder!