JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: "OPERATION: NURSERY"  (Read 4472 times)

beekerzz24

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
"OPERATION: NURSERY"
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »

Well, like most of you have already gone thru.  "Operation Nursery" has invaded and taken over my joe room.
My wife and I are expecting our first baby this December. Christmas day to be extract. Very exciting. Anyways
my joe room has been demoted to the basement. I look at it as being a bonus. Now I have the entire basement
to expand. As the now called nursery room was getting over filled with my expanding collection of Joes.  I was
thinking of those Ikea shelfs, but at a hundred bucks a pop, I'd be running close to a grand worth of shelves.
So I have decided to make my owe custom display shelves out of oak with UV plexi-glass, as I do custom
wood working as my other "cheaper" hobby. It will incorporate the USS Flagg bulit into the base. I'm guessing
I should have it finish around Jan/Feb 2007. I'll definitly be showing picture during the built process.
I'm sure my wife will be freaking out when i start firing up the table saw when our new young one arrives.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:47:23 PM »

Congrads on the baby news.

And I will await for your pictures of the displays.  But I think being a dad will slow down your project date.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »

Hey, good for you! I just went thru that whole process myself over the course of the last 6 months. Only down side for me is I don't have ever figure up and my army builders are limited to one plus pretty much all my vehicles are now in the attic.

I hang out in my rec room pretty much every night so I can't use the whole thing for Joes. I have them set up around my computer and in those Ikea Cabinets. You should give me a call Sunday after hit the Oktoberfest Toy Show and check out how much stuff can fit in them and it might give you ideas for when you build your own. PM for my phone number.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »

Congratulations on the new baby!

Yes another woodworker in the crowd!  Build fast kids have a way of taking up project time.  Will you be using oak plywood or solid stock?  What do you usually finish with?  My best project was with a Lee Valley antique cherry aniline stain + Minwax polyurethane.

I vote for a custom building and Joe meet.  Who wouldn't want a Mike Holmes custom figure?

beekerzz24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »

Thanks guys.

morgardee,

I think ill be heading over to the Toy show are 10:30 or 11:00am in the morning on sunday. If your around at that time maybe we can meet up there.

sniper,

Ill probably be using dense partical board with oak vinnear for the large panels and solid stock for the trimming and doors as we both know, oak is $$$. I usually work with pine as its cheaper and easier to work with. I'll check out the Lee Valley stain. Got to love Lee Valley.

beekerzz24

• View Profile
Re: "OPERATION: NURSERY"
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »

Well "operation: nursery" is now in full effect. I am now the proud dad of a baby girl. Grayce Elizabeth was born on Dec 28, 2006 at Stratford General Hospital.
Looks like i'll have to be checking out the barbie dolls now as well in the toy section. ha ha. Maybe there is a 12" Scarlett!!!

Beeker

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »

Good for you! The first 3 months were the toughest for me but after that things got much easier. Being a parent is very cool. Take lots of digital pictures. Put her on you lap as a newborn, then one month, 2 months, etc... It's neat to watch them grow like that.

BTW, Giant Tiger stores always seem to have lots of girl toys (more than boy toys).
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:10:57 AM »

Congrats!

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »

That is great news - all the best to you new larger family!

night force cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »

That's awesome, Beeker, BIG congratulations from one proud papa to a new one.  I'm a single parent of a 2 year old, I love my job. 

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31:55 AM »

Congrats my man!

MIke

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »

Hey Beek,

Just so you know - after 2 years, I finally started up my PS2 for the first time this christmas. So you do get little bits of your life back eventually.  ;D

Mind you, if you have a second, you're officially outnumbered, and never get your time back until retirement...

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"