JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Removing screws  (Read 2584 times)

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
Removing screws
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:23:37 AM »

The metal T-bar/hook on my 83 Gung Ho snapped  :o, so I took one out of a junker fig to replace it.  Unfortunately, his right leg screw will not budge and it's slightly stripped.  I seem to recall reading a long time ago that a drop of oil might loosen up something like that.  Does anyone have any tips on how to get that screw out of there?  It's not rusted, just very tight.  Any help is appreciated!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Blazinryan

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Removing screws
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 09:42:56 PM »

I am having the same problem with a rusted back screw. 

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 11:46:07 PM »

I spray a little of WD-40 on the worn screw and leave it for a day or so.  Then I take a small flat head screw driver and press hard on the worn out screw groove (with the figure on my bed to minimize paint wear).  Eventually, I get the screw out.   If it doesn't work, more WD-40 and leave it again for another time.  I have had very good success with my method.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Blazinryan

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 12:43:08 AM »

Thanks a Bunch I'll try it

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:57:12 AM »

I'd like to put in a good word for a better screwdriver here. I picked up a hardened steel screwdriver set for $12 at Home Depot about 4 years ago, and it was about the best investment I've ever made.

Often the stripping and lack of bite are due to using crappy dollarstore or soft metal screwdrivers. Get yourself a good hardened steel one, and you'll find that you get a lot more bite and a lot less stripping.

Then use Pete's wd40 method. I have had some success with it myself ever since he first let me in on it.

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Blazinryan

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:36:25 PM »

I'll try it, but the screw is stripped now pretty good.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 11:54:55 PM »

Pete's method sounds good - I've used it twice in the past - especially note the idea of putting the figure on a cloth or something to protect the face-down front part.

2 other methods I know of:

1) Use a very small drill bit and drill the screw. I tried it once, skeptically, but the screw head came off no problem, I slipped off the back piece and then I used pliers to take out the screw part.  Seemed risky at the time, but it worked out great for me. I only recommend it if you could stand to damage the one part. In my case only the screw was ruined, and it was obviously stripped to begin with.

2) Put super glue on a crappy screw driver and attach it to the screw. Let it dry and then give it a go again.  Never tried it personally, but someone on another board reported success.

Good luck - and I'd love to hear what works for you guys!   :)
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:03:44 PM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"

2 other methods I know of:

1) Use a very small drill bit and drill the screw. I tried it once, skeptically, but the screw head came off no problem, I slipped off the back piece and then I used pliers to take out the screw part.  Seemed risky at the time, but it worked out great for me. I only recommend it if you could stand to damage the one part. In my case only the screw was ruined, and it was obviously stripped to begin with.

2) Put super glue on a crappy screw driver and attach it to the screw. Let it dry and then give it a go again.  Never tried it personally, but someone on another board reported success.

Good luck - and I'd love to hear what works for you guys!   :)

1) I don't do the drilling out the screws incase I screw up.  The last thing I need is to find a replacement torse for a foreign figure.

2) I tried and failed with the second option.  The glue got all over the screw and the torse was crap after that.  And crazyglue and I don't get along to well.  I hate getting that crap off my skin.

I recommand before you try any method, get a beat up figure and test it out the method you want to do.

And Raps is right, getting a hardend screw driver works wonders. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

DPrime

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »

The drill bit method works. Go to Yojoe.com's forums for a sticky giving you all the info (I just flew in after Christmas break and don't really want to rewrite everything! ;) )

I've never ruined any parts, but I do have a pretty steady hand I guess, and I'm careful about it. Don't go to town on it - if you keep the drill going for too long it'll get hot and melt the part. You don't necessarily have to remove the screw head either - see the above mentioned sticky thread for more on that.