JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: A semi-successful Joe hunting day  (Read 1464 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
A semi-successful Joe hunting day
« on: October 10, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »

I call it semi-successful because I did find one of the three figures I was looking for, and one I was pleasantly surprised to find. 

I was looking for (and found) Deep Six.  No big deal, I know, but I was happy to find one, even though I'm just using him for a custom.  I was also looking for but did NOT find a Shipwreck.  And the only reason I was looking for him is to try and steal his hat for my Joe Canuck.  So not a huge loss, but you know.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the TRU-Exclusive Bench Press figure.  I haven't even opened him yet, but when I do I'll post a review (probably tomorrow).  I knew he was coming out but I kind of didn't expect to see him.

In all my Joe hunting, if I had a dollar for every wave 1 figure I saw clogging the shelves, well, I'd have a crapload of dollars.  I'm kinda worried about the RoC line.  There's so many wave 1 figures out there (Destro seems to be the most numerous) at Target and Wally-World that I fear I'll never see the later waves at retail.  Kinda reminds me of the early DVD packs that clogged the shelves and left the "Best of 80's" packs off the shelves at retail.  The ONLY store that didn't have a ton of wave 1 product...or much RoC product at all for that matter...was Toys R Us.  Funny how they of all people seem to be smartest with their ordering.

I also saw and was pretty intrigued by the Devastator set from Transformers 2.  I was intrigued...but not enough to spend $98.98 American on him.  Geez.

I also walked through the Lego aisle at TRU to bring back some fond memories.  MAN they have some awesome Lego stuff out these days, and have brought back some of MY favorites, like the Space Police and the Pirates...but GOOD LORD Legos are expensive.  I know they weren't cheap back in the day but those prices are just ridiculous.  Medium sized sets were at least $50, with the bigger ones going from $80-100.  Whew!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Re: A semi-successful Joe hunting day
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 01:02:18 AM »

Oh yeah, I guess I'd have to call it a successful day after all.  I forgot...I got a nice amount of 25th product for cheap from BBTS's 25th clearance.  Can't beat $5 per figure shipping included.  Got some great custom fodder (my Joe Canuck gave me the custom bug) and a few more Cobra bazooka troopers (which I really liked) at $3.50 a piece. 

I also ordered some stuff from my Canadian friend at HJL, and found and ordered a Wolverine (missing Cover Girl and the tow rope, both of which I could care less about) for only $15 from SmallJoes.  So I guess it was a pretty successful day after all.

One thing I do wanna know, Hasbro...why wasn't there THIS much 25th product out there when that line was going?  Oh, wait, I know...it really ruled where RoC only kinda rules, so it sold like crazy.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: A semi-successful Joe hunting day
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
In all my Joe hunting, if I had a dollar for every wave 1 figure I saw clogging the shelves, well, I'd have a crapload of dollars.  I'm kinda worried about the RoC line.  There's so many wave 1 figures out there (Destro seems to be the most numerous) at Target and Wally-World that I fear I'll never see the later waves at retail.  Kinda reminds me of the early DVD packs that clogged the shelves and left the "Best of 80's" packs off the shelves at retail.  The ONLY store that didn't have a ton of wave 1 product...or much RoC product at all for that matter...was Toys R Us.  Funny how they of all people seem to be smartest with their ordering.

Same problem in stores around me in the Toronto area.   As a result, the later waves are taking forever to show up, if ever.   It seems retailers didn't want to be caught with their pants down after the first Transformer movie, in which they under ordered product.   Now ROTF and the ROC toys seem to be overflooding the aisles.

Benchpress = another figure that will not show up in Canada.   Firefly and BBQ have yet to show up.

Quote from: "olyeller01"
I also saw and was pretty intrigued by the Devastator set from Transformers 2.  I was intrigued...but not enough to spend $98.98 American on him.  Geez.

Funny, it costs 99.99 CAN at Canadian TRUs.  However, I have no interest in this version of Devastator.  It's a big pile of crap to me.   And the way it was used in the movie, it's a giant vacuum cleaner with a bad back.   

The only thing I have bought from the TF ROTF line is the Human Alliance set with Sideswipe.   I am a G.M. car of guy to begin.  The corvette is pretty much on scale with the Alternators made in the past.  However, it lacks the rubber tires and the nice plastic finish gloss that the Alternators had.   I am attempted to get Bumblebee but the set costs 50 bucks.  WTF.   

So does anybody know how to gloss up dull plastic?
Go Leafs Go - just end '67