JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Best free antivirus/malware software  (Read 1776 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Best free antivirus/malware software
« on: February 14, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »

Guys,

I've recently had a few problems with viruses and malware.  Someone on here recommended malwarebytes.org's software, but I can't get it to update now and it seems like their website is down.  So if you guys know some others that are good, I'd certainly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Best free antivirus/malware software
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:55:43 PM »

i use avast, i think it does malware also, and home edition is free.

www.avast.com
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Best free antivirus/malware software
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:10:41 PM »

Kaspersky has the smallest footprint with the most up to date virus and malware solutions on the market. Not sure if there is a free version but if you were going to buy on, Kaspersky is the best, period.

Malware bytes is still one of the best for free. I just check and I can run the updates from them fine on my laptop. If you can't get the updates to run then chances are you are already infected and the virus is preventing you from running the updates. The best thing to do in a situation like that is to remove your hard drive and slave it to a known clean system and run malware bytes from the other pc. This is called an external scan and will get rid of things like boot sector virus problems and viruses that prevent you from running updates.

If you are looking for a free solution then I highly recommend AVG and Malware bytes together. This will get of most problems, you just need to update them.

Sophos is also great.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.