JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Joecanuck's "Expand the Universe" Contest!  (Read 20006 times)

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Joecanuck's "Expand the Universe" Contest!
« on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:41 AM »

Time to let your creativity show!

We here at Joecanuck love the "Joecanuck Universe" that we've created. Black Ice, the H.A.T.E tank, Snowbank and of course Joecanuck himself, as well as all the other figures and vehicles that are part of our universe are things we are very proud of.

However, we want to see what YOU would do to add to this universe!

As such, we're holding a contest to see how YOU would do it! We realize that not everyone is a customizer, so we're not making this a 'customs' only contest.  You can submit whatever you like. Art with a bio, blueprints of a vehicle, a short comic, dio, or of course a custom figure or vehicle! If you want to do something different than those, go ahead, but check with us first via a PM. This is about creativity, and different people have different creative gifts so we don't want to leave anyone out!

The Rules:

1) Each board member may submit one (1) entry to the contest.
2) Board Members must have a post count of above 5 and be a member for one (1) month to participate
3) Entries may be in the form of your choice, but note rule #1 above, so make sure you choose the format you're happiest with
4) Entries will be accepted until 10pm EST on Friday, May the 14th
5) Voting on the entries will begin Monday, May 17th and close Sunday, May 23rd.
6) Entries must be entirely new ideas, not existing Joecanuck or GIJOE universe characters/equipment.

Entries should be submitted to contests@joecanuck.com

Include your real name, your board name and your email address!

If you have any questions, ask them in this thread!

The fine folks at Hasbro and Hunter PR have graciously donated 4 Rise Of Cobra figures to be given away as a contest prize here on Joecanuck. To add to that, I am personally throwing in a Target Exclusive Python Patrol CONQUEST (MIB) to the kitty.

Also, your entry will be used in an upcoming Joecanuck universe comic by our artist and story writer, Jason Loo!

So, get those art supplies ready and let's see what you come up with!

Legalities:

*Rights to characters/items created for this contest will become property of Joecanuck.com and can be used by Joecanuck.com without further permission from the creator/member. Joecanuck.com will allow the creator/member to use their creations for their own personal non-profit uses (personal customs, fan-fiction, dios,) but creator/members are prohibited from the sale of said character/items in any way.

Creator/Member = the person(s) submitting the entry to the contest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:37:35 AM by Stealth Viper »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Radio Guy

• phpBB CJC Media Liason
  • phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Joecanuck's "Expand the Universe" Contest!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »

What an awesome idea!  Can't wait to see what the amazing characters get added to the Joecanuck Universe!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Wherever you go, there you are.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »

A question was asked:

Quick question, if I did a team of customs could that count as 1 entry?  Or would it only be one figure.

The answer would be:

You can do a team, however you could not submit individual bios for the team members, rather only a bio describing the whole team and its' purpose.
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »

I just have a few questions.  What is the criteria for this contest?  How will entries be judged?  And for those of us who are not familiar with the Joe Canuck universe, where can we find out about it (other than those awesome trading cards! ;D)?
Thanks for the help!
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
I just have a few questions.  What is the criteria for this contest?  How will entries be judged?  And for those of us who are not familiar with the Joe Canuck universe, where can we find out about it (other than those awesome trading cards! ;D)?
Thanks for the help!

1) Criteria is outlined in the original post. If you have more specific questions, please ask them!

2) Entries will be judged by your peers. It will be an open vote process. Each member being able to vote once per round. Depending on submissions numbers, they may be broken down into groups (customs, arts, bios, stories, dios) and then the top voted of each will be voted against eachother for the final prize. That depends on submission numbers though.

3) Dios, reviews and comics from the newsletters:

http://www.joecanuck.com/site/?q=node/9

Generals Joes Reviews;

http://generalsjoes.com/2008/08/29/excl ... n-joemeet/

the trading cards, and if you can find a copy of last years' con comic that helps too. Also, asking questions and having them answered by your fellow Joecanuckers works too!
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »

Cool!  Thanks for the links.  So basically, we're to be creative and expand on the Joe Canuck Universe in our own way, right?
Sounds groovy!  I'll start thinkin' something up!

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »

Quote from: "SnakeEyesOnAPlane"
Cool!  Thanks for the links.  So basically, we're to be creative and expand on the Joe Canuck Universe in our own way, right?
Sounds groovy!  I'll start thinkin' something up!

That's exactly the idea!
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »

two points of clairification, please?

ONE: If you're not creating a custom figure or vehicle, but doing a story, must it be solely new characters or are you allowed to use characters already created. IE If I did a prose story as my entry, could I use Snowbank and Black Ice et al as supporting characters, with new characters Jerry Canuck and Canuck-Viper as the 'starring' hero and villain? or should it solely feature Jerry Canuck fighting the Canuck-Vipers?

TWO: Rather obvious from one, can i do a straight prose text story? I have NO skills in artwork and the only way I could do a custom would be to unscrew the backs of my ARAH figures and switch their heads around... a text story howeever, would be entirely doable for me...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 03:30:46 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
two points of clairification, please?

ONE: If you're not creating a custom figure or vehicle, but doing a story, must it be solely new characters or are you allowed to use characters already created. IE If I did a prose story as my entry, could I use Snowbank and Black Ice et al as supporting characters, with new characters Jerry Canuck and Canuck-Viper as the 'starring' hero and villain? or should it solely feature Jerry Canuck fighting the Canuck-Vipers?

TWO: Rather obvious from one, can i do a straight prose text story? I have NO skills in artwork and the only way I could do a custom would be to unscrew the backs of my ARAH figures and switch their heads around... a text story howeever, would be entirely doable for me...

1) You can, however the main focus of the story must be your creation, and it must be a short story/article, not a full on novel (although that would still be cool)

2) Absolutely. The idea of this contest is to allow creativity in all its forms, however the content must be kept in perspective - this is about a toy line, therefore stories with offensive content (foul/abusive language, adult subject matter) cannot be accepted and will be disqualified.
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 03:36:56 PM »

PG-13 sorta thing? people get killed but no gory descriptions of the back of the head exploding into a fine red mist as the 9mm slug rips through their cerebellum style of thing?

right.

*puts thinking cap on*
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »

I hope nobody laughs at my attempt to make a custom figure and the back story I make for him or her? :-!
Lurking

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 09:06:48 PM »

Back again with some more questions!

You mentioned that the ideas have to be new; no pre-existing stuff.  I'm okay with this, but is it alright if we just happen to have pre-existing characters make a guest appearance?  I mean, I don't want to have to go make a bunch of civilian plainclothesman customs for a dio, you know what I mean?

Also, will the winner's idea become part of the Joe Canuck canon?