JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe 2 to be released on June 29, 2012  (Read 19758 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
GI Joe 2 to be released on June 29, 2012
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »

The News is out, The Movie has a release date!  August 10, 2012!

http://www.filmshaft.com/g-i-joe-2-gets-a-summer-2012-release-date/

I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. You either like something or you don’t. Just because it might be a little bit naff but passable crash-bang-wallop-what-a-movie entertainment doesn’t mean you should hang your head in shame. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, released all the way back in that balmy August of 2009, was one of those films. And for the record, I’ve a soft spot for another Stephen Sommers movie – Van Helsing. Yeah, yeah yeah.

Paramount liked G.I. Joe, too. So much so they’ve gone and hired both a director and announced the sequel’s release date. So pencil in August 10th, 2012. Because that’s when the second instalment of the action toy franchise will be getting an outing (at least in the US and A).

Stephen Sommers is not returning to the director’s chair for this one, and more interestingly a good majority of the cast aren’t, either. Jon Chu has been chosen to direct and yesterday star Rachel Nichols told the world via Twitter that there’s only a few original characters/cast returning with Lee Byung-hun (Storm Shadow), Ray Park (Snake Eyes) and Channing Tatum (Duke). Given Rachel Nichols’ tweet, can we gather she’ll be back?

Chu recently caught the Bieber Fever and made that documentary about the Canadian pop moppet. Quite why Paramount saw him as perfect for directing G.I. Joe 2 is a mystery best left unsolved. Although one doesn’t have to use Holmes-like powers of deduction to suggest the sequel will have a much lesser budget than Sommers’ film, which was bankrolled to the tune of $175 million dollars.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt isn’t returning to the cast as the baddie. Nor Dennis Quad, nor Sienna Miller. Let’s face it, Gordon-Levitt was a big sell for the first one, so any new additions/replacements to the cast will be noted with interest.

Expect more news on this in the coming weeks, months, etc, etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:09:54 PM by Pete The Greek »
Lurking

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe 2 to be released on August 10, 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:47:04 AM »

I'll be looking forward to some previews before I make any further judgments.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »

I just hope that this time around both the regular and the movie line can coexist on the shelves.
With all the cool stuff coming for the PoC line it would be a shame to see it go away in favor of peg warmers...

Okay come on, let's be positive...
Say no to AFA.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:17:11 PM »

Just get Charlie Adler to play CC there by continuing the cycle of Starscream having the same voice as CC ;)
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Joseph Gordon-Levitt isn’t returning to the cast as the baddie. Nor Dennis Quad, nor Sienna Miller. Let’s face it, Gordon-Levitt was a big sell for the first one, so any new additions/replacements to the cast will be noted with interest.

The person who wrote this is out to lunch.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt considered a big sell for the movie?  Are you kidding me?  Not when the movie was coming out.  And surely not after.  

Miller not returning as the Baroness is fine by me.  Should have never been hired in the first place.  I hope they hire somebody who has a cup size and doesn't required to wear fake boobs.   :lol:  
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
Miller not returning as the Baroness is fine by me.  Should have never been hired in the first place.  I hope they hire somebody who has a cup size and doesn't required to wear fake boobs.   :lol:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:51:44 PM by latinjoe22 »
2 + 2 = 22

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »

there's a report in today's Daily Mirror (UK paper) that Sienna Miller is said to be glad she's not coming back for 2, calling 1 'GI Joke' and said she was cast without Stephen Sommers meeting her, which she called 'a mistake' as she said the first thing he said to her was 'you're short'...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
there's a report in today's Daily Mirror (UK paper) that Sienna Miller is said to be glad she's not coming back for 2, calling 1 'GI Joke' and said she was cast without Stephen Sommers meeting her, which she called 'a mistake' as she said the first thing he said to her was 'you're short'...

Ha Ha Ha! That made me laugh!  Thanks for that cheer up!
Lurking

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »

I had to find this story...

http://www.musicrooms.net/showbiz/28356-sienna-miller-my-movie-was-a-joke.html

Sienna Miller says her film G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra “compromised” her.
 The British actress is best known for starring in Layer Cake, Alfie and The Edge of Love. She starred in action adventure film G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra in 2009. The movie tells the story of an elite military unit comprised of special operatives known as G.I. Joe, who take on an evil organisation led by a notorious arms dealer.

Sienna – who starred alongside Channing Tatum and Dennis Quaid in the film - has revealed acting in the 2009 blockbuster was a “joke”.

“It compromised my values,” she is quoted as saying by British newspaper The Daily Mirror. “I didn’t feel too good about myself. It was a joke.”

Sienna, 29, also revealed that she didn’t meet director Stephen Sommers in casting sessions. The beauty says that because she hadn’t come face to face with Stephen before filming started she felt uncomfortable, and would never make the same mistake again.

“I got cast without the director having met me. Which was a first, and probably an error on their part,” she said. “The first thing he said to me was, ‘God, you’re really short.’ But in a Hollywood accent.”
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:46:34 AM »

So who wants to be next years MC Joe Con is in August?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »

The only thing more awful than Sienna Miller was Channing Tatum. Joseph Gordon Levitt wasn't anything special either and I actually really enjoy his other work.

I felt like the people in the movie had never watched the cartoon or read the comics.

Any change is good change. The Joe cast is big enough to bring in new characters without diminishing its relation to the product (Flint, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, Serpentor, Dr. Mindbender and the Crimson Twins have enough personality to supplant the departing characters)

If they instead decide to replace the actors - even better!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »

I felt like the people in the movie had never watched the cartoon or read the comics.

But the cartoons were wretched and the comics even worse. Drawing inspiration from them would be the worst possible thing because they were both so horribly hokey.
Do people REALLY want someone on screen screeching like Chris Latta or doing an awful "female Bela Lugosi" like Morgan Lofting? That works in cartoons because its so broad, but in live-action, on the big screen..............oy vey.