JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Latest Acquisition  (Read 6618 times)

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Latest Acquisition
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »

Haven't got anything in months...until now.

Was able to work out a trade for a bunch of stuff I hadn't looked at in years.
Now I can really say I have the complete Marvel run.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Acquisition
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »

I only found out this existed a few years ago. It's a curious piece of GI Joe history. Nicely done.
Updated!

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »

Nice. :) This one still eludes me, though I must say I have not been actively searching in recent years. I'm not big on "collecting" comics anymore (was never really big into it anyway), as I'm mainly interested in the story. But the GI Joe Marvel run is the one run I would love to complete. That and maybe Marvel Star Wars. I'm about a dozen issues short on both, including that Special and Joe 155. With the TPBs nearing completion (and finally getting to the ones I'm missing) I have less incentive to try and complete the run but one day I hope to.

Anyway, nice score. Especially by trading stuff you don't really need/want. If I could find that deal, I'd be a happy camper!

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.
I had written it off as a grail that was too much for me to ever actually buy.
As fate would have it, it kind of fell into my lap. I wasn't actively looking for it either, but saw it on a shelf when I was wandering around killing time before a tattoo.
I didn't realize the inner art was different from issue #61 too - I thought it might be just the cover.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:12:46 PM »

Well Done....
Lurking

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »

What issue is that?

I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »

Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »

The story behind this issue is that it was drawn by Todd McFarlane, but rejected by Marvel editorial. The actual issue was re-drawn by Marshall Rogers in about two days, to be able to meet the printing deadlines.
There was some related press to this: Todd was on the local ( BC, Vancouver/ Lower Mainland) news regarding landing the GIJOE comic--the reason being that, at the time, it was one of the highest paying gigs in comics. The page rate for the book was good, but the royalty incentives are what put it over the top. The title outsold every other book at the time(1986), and the royalties were about $60,000 a year, over and above page rate.

This was Todd's only issue drawn, he dropped the book---or was dropped by Editorial--after being brought on to draw it regularly.
Of course, his career started blossoming shortly after with Batman: Year Two......

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »

Awesome E!

I've got all the covers of McFarlane with that pose, from Batman, Spider-man, Spawn etc.
That Issue I had years ago. Can't remember how I let it go right now.

Thanks for the back story man awesome. I've been a BIG Mcfarlane fan for years. His work inspired me as 12 year old to keep drawing and over time be a Graphic Designer/ Commercial Artist for the past 16 years. I have all the spidey issues, amazing and the title he started, all the spawn, some hulk.

Loved seeing my hero (at that time before all the bussiness stuff started to fall out with image) in my fave passion or Joe.

Cheers bros!

B
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

Check out Comic Book Legends Revealed #182 for more information on this issue.
Updated!

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 07:45:55 PM »

Hey great dialogue here guys!

If you haven't read the book, it was really interesting to compare the issues. I opened them (Special #1 and issue #61) side-by-side.
The writing/dialogue is identical though it is often split differently among the panels. Obviously the storyboarding is slightly differently but a lot of the scenes look identical, just shot from different camera angles.
Interesting read.
I was a big Spawn fan, but think I actually prefer issue #61 (though I prefer Todd's take on Billy).

Wow, Crazylegs - you must have an extensive comic collection! I've gone from over 1000 to about 700 over the past couple years (all the Marvel/Image/Devil's Due Joe is 300+, plus the Nam, most Transformers, tons of X-Titles and maybe 200+ miscellaneous). Still trying to sell some off, but there isn't much of a market...