JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: How much should I pay?  (Read 3646 times)

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
How much should I pay?
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:29:42 PM »

Hey Joesters,

I'm going to go look at a local WHALE for sale in the next couple weeks (the guy is busy with pilot week) and I'm on the fence about how much I'll offer him.

Here's the deal. I can mostly complete a second WHALE but I need the main body with unbroken front hinges and I'd like an unbroken launch mechanism but it's not critical. I'm willing to pay more for one with that and some decent other parts to kinda complete a couple more busted ones to sell mostly complete. I cannot tell from the pics if it's busted or not but will check in person.

Here's a list of issues I see just form the pics:
No cannon tips
Only 2 missiles
Only 1 depth charge
No windshield
No windshield on sled
Busted front handlebars on motorbike
Fans and cowlings but no other vane parts
Missing engine cover

Stuff that seems OK:
Missile boxes are attached and look OK
Front sled door is attached so shouldn't be busted
Front panels look present and unbroken
Depth charge holder looks OK

Can't see:
Wheels
Bottom cover

IF the stuff is in the condition I mentioned I was thinking of offering $40 to essentially get the main body, 2 good missile boxes and a set of doors. This seems like a lot to me but shipping a main body would be extremely expensive from eBay or one of you good gentlemen.

Of course he's asking $120 for that and 4 incomplete figs, a FLAK, MMS with chassis and missile rack only, and about 10 random missiles. This is, of course, ridiculous.

I figured $50 for everything. Am I out of line even making the offer and should I just wait until a cheaper one comes along?

Any thoughts?

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: How much should I pay?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »

Any time you offer less than half of asking, you run the risk of offending the seller.
But it isn't worth much more than that, depending on the figures.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

Missing the items you listed, the seller is off his rocker thinking he can get $120 for it.

Things like missing the vanes and such knock the price down a lot.  I'd say the WHALE itself would be worth $25 alone, maybe $30 if you are feeling generous.

I rebuilt a considerable amount of my own WHALE, slowly over time, and it's not yet complete, but I wouldn't ask more than $50 were I to sell it.
 Mine is displayable, with all the things that offering is missing, save the vane assemblies. For about $30 you can find most of those missing parts anyways.

I think your offer of $50 for the lot is plenty generous, and if the seller declines or is offended by it.....don't sweat it. There will be other, better offerings out there.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:25:01 AM »

Zenith:

Considering that you've had plenty of luck in finding nice lots, I would say to feel confident of passing completely on this lot. If you pass on this, yes, somebody else might jump on it. But at least you won't have the regret of beeing stuck with so many broken and incomplete items from what you seem to describe.

As Arrow implied, they'll be better lots out there, as always.

2 + 2 = 22

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »

For reference, I sell complete Whales for $100-$120.

It's the parts that are in demand more than the WHALE itself. Even $50 seems like too much in this case.

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess I'll wait until a cheaper one comes along.