JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Loosing my interest in G.I. Joe  (Read 13658 times)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
Loosing my interest in G.I. Joe
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:14:17 PM »

Well I think it's finally happened. I'm loosing my interest in G.I. Joe. and toys in general for that matter.

Sure I'll go to the occasional toy show but in general I feel like I'm just going through the motions now and not really excited by much anymore in the way of toys.

Making customs has really lost it's appeal as well.

I've had the thought a few times now that if I broke down my collection and sold it all I could pay of my mortgage.

I have a few things already on Ebay. They have higher Buy It Now prices and my attitude has become if someone wants it I'll let it go but if not then the stuff can stay on display for a bit longer.

I suppose the last straw for me was the Zombie set. I was so unimpressed with it that it was an easy pass and think that broke me from the "gotta have 1 of everything" frame of mind.

That and the break from Hasbro. It's amazing how much more money I have now that I'm not throwing it at every new toy that comes out.

Anyone else ever feel like I'm feeling now?
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Loosing my interest in G.I. Joe
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:52:13 PM »

Already crossed this bridge.  It's called life and priorities (family and work).  GI JOE and toys are on the lowest end of the totem pole.   Plus it's hard to get excited about the brand when Hasbro has taken a break from it themselves.  And to be honest, Hasbro mailed it in with some of the crappiest figures they have ever made for the second movie line.  Giving up being a figure completiest will liberate you. 

Black major's customs are the only things I have a mild interest in.  He sucked me back in with those female Cobra troopers.   Hasbro's loss; they had plenty of time to cash in on this.  Otherwise, I haven't spent that much money on toys in the past little while.  I have passed on most of the US convention items this year; I can get them later on.     

My goal is to get a couple of more curio cases to display the figures I want.  But I have a 8 month year old that is taking up my time and I am loving it.   So no rush.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Zenith27

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »

I've spent the past 2 months prepping ARAH figs for a big show here in June and it's sucking my desire to ever look at a Joe again. I cannot believe how long it takes to disassemble, say 8, Airbornes, take them all apart (if you can), clean the dirty ones, sort the parts according to discolouration, sort for damage, sort for paint wear, sort the screws by quality, sort the weapons for discolouration, sort the weapons for damage, assemble wepaon sets and bag, assemble and bag each fig, check current prices and fill out labels.

I'd have to charge $50 per fig for all the work that goes into them. It's no longer a labor of love but a huge pain in the ass!

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »

Already crossed this bridge.  It's called life and priorities (family and work).  GI JOE and toys are on the lowest end of the totem pole.   Plus it's hard to get excited about the brand when Hasbro has taken a break from it themselves.  And to be honest, Hasbro mailed it in with some of the crappiest figures they have ever made for the second movie line.  Giving up being a figure completiest will liberate you. 

Black major's customs are the only things I have a mild interest in.  He sucked me back in with those female Cobra troopers.   Hasbro's loss; they had plenty of time to cash in on this.  Otherwise, I haven't spent that much money on toys in the past little while.  I have passed on most of the US convention items this year; I can get them later on.     

My goal is to get a couple of more curio cases to display the figures I want.  But I have a 8 month year old that is taking up my time and I am loving it.   So no rush.

If you ever decide to sell your Defiant, let me know! :)

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »

I suppose the last straw for me was the Zombie set. I was so unimpressed with it that it was an easy pass and think that broke me from the "gotta have 1 of everything" frame of mind.

Oh dude. Way to turn a hobby into a chore!

Completion-ism is terrible. Buy what you want! If you don't see anything you like, skip the wave!

As for your collection/mortagage. Keep what makes you happy. Get rid of the stuff you don't like.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »

You're not the only one, Morg.

My interest in GI joe greatly declined a few years ago.

But this year, a month ago to be exact now, I decided that Gi joe and I are done, going forward. I'll keep what I like (or want to display). The rest, I will be bringing with me at shows, and not look back with any regrets. And as opposed to my doubles, if someone wants the items in my collection, they'll have to expect to pay the asking price or I keep them. Anyway, the way I see it, EBay's international shipping and brokerage standard costs have changed dramatically over these last years, that it makes the collectibles that you find at local sellers/ conventions look cheaper, provided that the price is the actual going rate for the item, and not something blown out of proportion.

As a collector, my habits also changed. I always said that I would never walk into a Thrift shop, mainly out of pride. Well, screw pride. I saved tons more money than I ever could imagine by going there, and not on collectibles, but on clothing and children's books too. And even found toys that I enjoy collecting for a mere fraction of what I used to inject into the hobby. I used to be a completist, but in order to keep up with the ever increasing pricetags, I knew I was going to hit a wall financially someday If I kept this up, and I almost did several times, so I had to accept to come down from that pedestal for good, and I feel really GREAT now. To the point that an incomplete action figure for 50 cents but in great shape makes my day.
2 + 2 = 22

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 06:42:19 AM »

I'm happy I was never a completist. From the start, I always only collected what I like. That's why I still don't have Cover girl in my collection :-)

@ PETE: You said "He sucked me back in with those female Cobra troopers." Never heard about them? Do you have a picture?

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:23:37 AM »

I also picked up a few of his female troopers. I got the white and the blue with silver logo ones. I missed the blue with red logo. He should make a crimson set.

If he really wanted to mess with Hasbro he should slap a gold Cobra logo on the female troopers to mimic the 50th anniversary stuff. ;)

@ Martin, they are on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/the_black_major/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »

I can take a picture tonight of the female troops I ordered.  I got them in the mail the other day. 

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »

If you ever decide to sell your Defiant, let me know! :)

If I can't find a spot to display it, you will be the first to know.  I restored pretty much of all the missing pieces for it.  Still working on the stickers.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »

I also picked up a few of his female troopers. I got the white and the blue with silver logo ones. I missed the blue with red logo. He should make a crimson set.

If he really wanted to mess with Hasbro he should slap a gold Cobra logo on the female troopers to mimic the 50th anniversary stuff. ;)

@ Martin, they are on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/the_black_major/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

I'm browsing with Firefox and I don't see the female troopers... when I'm using IE I see them... Grrrr!!! Must be a regional setting or something...

Anyway, I ordered them :-) too bad I missed the Blue trooper with red logo.

I know from a good source that Crimson and red shadows female troopers will be out by X-mas

Now back on topic, since I'm an o-ring collector and my collection is about 99% complete, I also lost interest... too bad o-ring are no more available, even in Convention exclusive, club exclusive, etc. Since the average GI collector is probable aged from 30 to 45... I think a lot of people will sell their collection within the next 5 years or so...

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »

I've not lost the interest, but I have specific items and ways that I collect.  There just is no money at this time. I'm looking at the new 50th stuff and hope they will end up here in Canada. My wife would love to get rid of my stuff but I don't think that will happen. It's been with me for too long.
I wish there was more to discuss but I'm not the guy to do that. This has always been a casual hobby and always will, with spurts of real excitement and long lulls. Still for those who are thinking about hanging it up, I hope you guys will still be commenting here from time to time.