JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Skystriker and the return of o-ring!!!  (Read 9532 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Skystriker and the return of o-ring!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2023, 06:24:01 AM »

anyone got their flagg setup and have the new skystriker and willing to take a risk? I'd like to test whether the flagg arrestor cable will actually pull the landing gear down once the arrestor hook snags it? I'm not sure if you want to risk that on old plastic or not. If no one has it setup or willing to test I guess I can try it out next Dec.

I also did add my last comments on the 2 missing figures in my previous message earlier in this thread for those who are interested.

Yeah it is such a shame that we are getting to that point in time where the original figures and vehicles are starting to degrade to the point of fragility.   It means there are some truly amazing figures, vehicles and playsets that are going to either be lost to time, or end up as noting more than display pieces under glass because the risk of damage is too high.

I'm hoping since they pushed the Joe livestream event back to March 8th that we might get a tease for the next Joe Haslab at that time.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »

anyone got their flagg setup and have the new skystriker and willing to take a risk? I'd like to test whether the flagg arrestor cable will actually pull the landing gear down once the arrestor hook snags it? I'm not sure if you want to risk that on old plastic or not. If no one has it setup or willing to test I guess I can try it out next Dec.

I also did add my last comments on the 2 missing figures in my previous message earlier in this thread for those who are interested.

Yeah it is such a shame that we are getting to that point in time where the original figures and vehicles are starting to degrade to the point of fragility.   It means there are some truly amazing figures, vehicles and playsets that are going to either be lost to time, or end up as noting more than display pieces under glass because the risk of damage is too high.

I'm hoping since they pushed the Joe livestream event back to March 8th that we might get a tease for the next Joe Haslab at that time.

Maybe. I don't think we'll forever lose it per say because of fragility.  With 3d printing and resin casting I could see hobbyists go for replacements for these old things. I just look at the work of Black Major or Red Laser customs on figures to know that someone somewhere will probably be willing to give it a shot for a large scale playset. Maybe it's not a business opportunity but a labour of love opportunity. I think we (those of us growing up with gijoe) only really will lose it  once we're gone. Will anyone care? I knowpersonally my kids have rarely played with very few toys once video games were allowed. I was much the same way as a kid.

Anyways. I hope to go over a more thorough review of my skystriker as I've been playing with it now for a couple of weeks. Wife wants it out of the bedroom. (BOO!)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2023, 07:03:44 PM »

Maybe. I don't think we'll forever lose it per say because of fragility.  With 3d printing and resin casting I could see hobbyists go for replacements for these old things. I just look at the work of Black Major or Red Laser customs on figures to know that someone somewhere will probably be willing to give it a shot for a large scale playset. Maybe it's not a business opportunity but a labour of love opportunity. I think we (those of us growing up with gijoe) only really will lose it  once we're gone. Will anyone care? I knowpersonally my kids have rarely played with very few toys once video games were allowed. I was much the same way as a kid.

Anyways. I hope to go over a more thorough review of my skystriker as I've been playing with it now for a couple of weeks. Wife wants it out of the bedroom. (BOO!)

I do agree that 3D printing is a godsend, and a passable alternative for small scale stuff.  However the really big stuff might be another issue.  The Flagg, Defiant, Terrordrome, Headquarters, General, etc. all have a lot of parts (big and small) and complexity that can't be easily replicated. 

Now of course that can change, and 3D printing, or resin printing, should only get cheaper and more accessible with time.  However it is still going to be a big task for the average collector.  I would imagine there are only ones & twos of collectors out there with the means and motivation to get that kind of project done.

The good thing for us is that since the 25th/ME era there has been a lot of vehicles reissued/redone so we have a long list of vehicles that are newer and should last through most of our lifetimes.  However there is also a long list of vehicles that have never been reissued/redone and probably won't ever be redone due to lack of interest.  I mean there are a lot of vehicles from 89-93 that I don't see anyone caring enough to maintain.

Hopefully Joe can get another boost in the next few years, much like TF and Star Wars, which would mean more product and all my speculation will be pointless.