JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Ministry of Transportation stories...  (Read 11584 times)

Collectorman

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
Ministry of Transportation stories...
« on: August 16, 2004, 11:10:54 AM »

Ever since I wrote my G1 test with the Ministry, I've had a a few battles with those lovable guys. I don't understand the need for all the crap that the government puts drivers through (especially new ones) just to drive a car. I'm gonna try not to get political, but it seems to me that the G system testing is a money grab created to annoy the living hell out of normal people.

Take for instance me: after taking a driving school, which I passed with flying colours, I've driven two G1 exit tests. The official reason I failed the first one was because the tester thought I was too nervous a driver because I was sweating during the test...on a 42-degree-Southern-Ontario summer day in a car with no air-conditioning.  :?

After I pass the second G1 exit test, I was supposed to receive my photo license in the mail within two weeks. Six weeks later, I get my new license with a note that basically said: "Your new license is late because we had a computer problem at the license factory. Don't complain because now you have it and complaining will do you no good. Make sure you follow all of our rules."  :?

Fast forward a few years later. The time to take my G2 exit test is running out and I manage to get a test date before I leave for Nova Scotia hoping to get my full G license. I start the driving test and within 5 minutes of the test, the tester tells me I'm wasting my time and I should return to the MoT.  :?

On my way back, I ask her repeatedly why I failed but she won't answer me. When we finally get back to the MoT, she gives me some lame excuse about dangerous driving and having a bad attitude while she fumbles with papers. When I ask for specifics, all she does is get out of my car, go into the MoT and begin her lunch break. :?

I try to complain to her superior, but it turns out everyone is on some kind of cult-like lunch break. When I DEMAND a retest, the supervisor, who I seen sitting inside his office firing paper clips into a trash can with an elastic band for five minutes before I drove my test, tells me the MoT is too busy for that and says he'll extend my license for four months.  :?

My first week in Nova Scotia, I drive a Class 5 license test and get a whole-brand-spanking-new license all on the same day for the low, low cost of $50. I finally have a FULL drivers license and I think my battle is over. I was wrong.

For my new job in Ontario, I need a driver's abstract. No worries there, but that means I have to switch over my Nova Scotian Class 5 license (which I remind you is a full license which I did a driving test for) to a Ontario G license. I go to the MoT and they tell me that my Class 5 means nothing. They re-issue me a G2, tell me to book another $75 road test for my full G license, and basically pat me on the ass while I walk out.  :x  :x

Anyone else have any good MoT stories???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
UCK!

Deadshot

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 05:16:12 PM »

I  don't  quite  have a  story   on  the  scale of yours.  I  was lucky  enough to beat the  G1 G2  crap  by  five  days.  

Just  beacause of  when my birthday  falls  and  immediatley  going for my beginners and  getting my (future) final  test  scheduled on the  same day .

Because of the   rush of people  in my area  trying to  beat the  new system  I ended up taking  my  final  Drivers  test  in  Listowel.... with its  one stop light.

I went through that  intersection   5  times ..heh .  Needless  to say  I passed,  though  I  apparently  didn't look in  my review mirror  enough   or  set  my  parking brake   on  the   slight  incline  during the parralel parking  segment
Zinthos.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:33:55 PM »

No weird stories for me with the MTO.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

AlleyViper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 02:51:08 AM »

G1?  G2??  What?

Is that some kind of Ontario drivers license thing?

:shifty:
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

Collectorman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 01:53:07 AM »

Quote from: ""AlleyViper""
G1?  G2??  What?

Is that some kind of Ontario drivers license thing? :shifty:
UCK!

Chinooked Canuck

• View Profile
G1.G2.G liscence
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 02:31:43 PM »

Well then let me rant.

it's all a money grab. the government has even said it is. where else in the world do you charge for a test three times. Purposfully fail 80% of the students. why 80% you ask, well it's more than 79% that fail or the maby 25% that actually should fail the test. oh by the way on your way out the door you need to rebook for another road test, that will be another 75 bucks......come on!!!!!! it's one of the governments greatest cash cows.

dont even get me started on liscence plate renewals. I have already got the plate paid for in full. why do you need to charge me for the plate every year.

I say to you MINISTRY OF TRANSPORTATION.....>BITE ME!!!!!!!! :evil:
y army\'s bigger than your army!
just kiddin!

Collectorman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 10:04:23 AM »

Driving is a very costly adventure anyway you put it. Hell, my car badly needs an oil change since the members of my family who used my car when I was in Nova Scotia were too lazy to bother.

The thing that boggles my mind is that it's going to cost me more money for a road test on September the 21st (which I've already completed once, BTW) than it is for an oil change.  :?

I had to get a driving abstract for my new job...this was quite head scratcher. I walk into the licensing part of the MoT and wait in line for about five minutes. I'm finally helped by a woman at the front and she asks me what kind of driving abstract I want. My reply, "The only one I can get with my shitty G2 license."

I pull out my debit card for the $12 charge and she tells me they don't take debit for driving abstracts...which to me is like walking into a corner store and the cashier won't let you use debit to buy cigarettes.  :?

I finally pay for it with my credit card and it literally takes a minute for the receipt to print on a desk jet printer. I sign both copies and she hits like two buttons. Some beat up, piece of shit dot matrix (yes, DOT MATRIX!) printer kicks in and prints out, in the lowest quality ink, a piece of paper that has all my information on it with one line at the bottom saying, "NO KNOWN OFFENSES."

That is what I paid $12 for.

So I had a stroke and left.

I'm not perfect by ANY means, but on Judgement Day, I hope to have reasons for everything I've done in life. I'd hate to be a MoT worker on that day though...
UCK!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 08:00:38 PM »

The guy who gave me my drivers test - I did mine in Cayuga Ontario the day the first Gulf War started.
anyway, after my test the office closed for lunch, and the guy who was in the car with me during my test back his ministry pick up truck into the front of my parked car ( a 1972 mint VW Bug)  that was parked in the Driver License office parking lot.

He paid for all of the damage and I didn't have to get multiple quotes or go through my insurance company - I am guessing he would of lost his job if I had got a police report etc.