JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe Video Game - just a thought...  (Read 1452 times)

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
GI Joe Video Game - just a thought...
« on: June 17, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »

I've been thinking of this for a long time and I think that you are the group of people that might appreciate it...

A few years ago I bought a Computer game called Joint Task Force.  It's a strategy game, but not the C&C-build-a-base type of strategy game.  The basic idea is that you're in command of an elite fighting force, give X amount of troops and funds then sent to effectively stop terrorists.  As your characters do more, they gain experience and level up - eventually gaining the option to be upgraded into an officer.  You get control of vehicles, special attacks (air strikes, etc) and the ability to call in reinforcements. 

If you're not familiar with the game, it'll be hard for you to envision it GI Joe'd - but I can wait while you go and play it (or give the demo a whirl)

So, you start off as some officer - this could easily be made into Duke
You are given army rangers - they can stay as is but when they get promoted to officers, you have the option of characters.  The promoted officers already have nicknames - it'd just be a matter of changing their corresponding picture and nickname to something like "Grunt" or "Rock N Roll" as your officers
You get medics - they stay as is to start but as they are promoted, you get Doc or Lifeline as your Officers
You get Commandos - they stay as is to start but as they are promoted, you get Snake Eyes, Stalker, etc.
You get engineers - they stay as is but as they are promoted...  I don't know...  maybe Tollbooth?  They basically repair vehicles...  I can't think of any fix-it Joes other than maybe Clutch, but he'd be a better driver
You get vehicle drivers - they stay as is but as they are promoted, you get Clutch, Cover Girl, Steeler, etc.
You get pilots - their upgraded officers can be Wild Bill, Ace, Lift Ticket, etc
And Snipers - I can't really think of any Joe Snipers, so I suggest Snake Eyes as a sniper instead of a commando...  but maybe I'm missing someone.

Then there's the vehicles - replace the Humvees with VAMPs, Copters with Dragonflys, Bugees with AWE Strikers, and all the artillery with suitable Joe equivalents.  And for bonus fan-service, the Black Hawk that drops off your troops can be replaced with a Tomahawk.

And the enemies you fight are "generic terrorists" - replace them all with "generic Cobra Troops and Vipers" and you're golden!  Just the missions would need to be revised to make them more canon.

If I knew anything about programming and thought I could get away with skirting the license, I'd edit the game to be a Joe game myself.  But I'm interested to know what you think of it.  Anyone here play the game and think it might sound realistic?  At the very least, I hope I've encouraged you to give the game a try and imagine your forces are Joes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »