JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GIJCC Convention Set Revealed - Mission Brazil vs Python Patrol  (Read 21249 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GIJCC Convention Set Revealed - Mission Brazil vs Python Patrol
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »

I appreciate a dry land Wet-Suit, but what is that Dial-Tone supposed to be?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »

The troop builder is actually new, the single card was the officer and the con set has the trooper.  Weird how they flipped the molds for that in the 80's, someone said it was a mistake.  I try to reconcile it with the notion of added confusion for the enemy since they are supposed to be a stealth team.

I was just disappointed that the set isn't trying to be 80's accurate.  There seems to be two camps of fans, one wants accurate translations into the 25th style and others want completely new stuff (I've been following the discussion on these on 4 different sites).  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:10:44 PM by turner »

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »

As I said before, the PP figs are fine.  However when I see these Joe versions all I keep hearing in my head is Bob Uecker from "Major League" and him calling the wild pitch as "just a bit outside."

That's what this set is for me.  Not a wild pitch, but definitely misses the plate.  I get what they are going for with Mission Brazil 2, but it comes off as unnecessary when the fandom generally wants more unproduced ARAH figs in the 25th style and not interpretations.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »

I've never bought any of these exclusives because they're always way over priced. So part of me likes to see stuff I have no interest in. Then I'm not missing out. The other part thinks it's cool to see some nice figures. I have a problem with the whole semi official-ness of their releases as well. They use hasbro molds, but they're not mass produced. But they fit right in with the "official" line, so generally it's frustrating because they are so limited and therefore expensive. I have not really been tempted by club figures in the past, since they haven't really fit my scope. But there are some that do, so it is annoying. I just wish they would make these available in numbers and at a cost that was reasonable.

That wetsuit is a pretty nice figure. Especially since it looks inspired by his appearance in yearbook #4. That is very cool! And I'm a sucker for figures in green camo and boonie hats. :) I likely wont get him since he will not likely be available at a reasonable price.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 09:58:15 PM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
I've never bought any of these exclusives because they're always way over priced. So part of me likes to see stuff I have no interest in. Then I'm not missing out. The other part thinks it's cool to see some nice figures. I have a problem with the whole semi official-ness of their releases as well. They use hasbro molds, but they're not mass produced. But they fit right in with the "official" line, so generally it's frustrating because they are so limited and therefore expensive. I have not really been tempted by club figures in the past, since they haven't really fit my scope. But there are some that do, so it is annoying. I just wish they would make these available in numbers and at a cost that was reasonable.

That wetsuit is a pretty nice figure. Especially since it looks inspired by his appearance in yearbook #4. That is very cool! And I'm a sucker for figures in green camo and boonie hats. :) I likely wont get him since he will not likely be available at a reasonable price.

Never say never.  The Crimson Vipers and others from the 2009 set were going only for about $12-15 individually which is only just above regular retail in Canada.  So you may find that these figs won't be too expensive, especially 6 months after the con.

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 01:03:31 AM »

Quote from: "canprime"
Quote from: "darth cujo"

Never say never.  The Crimson Vipers and others from the 2009 set were going only for about $12-15 individually which is only just above regular retail in Canada.  So you may find that these figs won't be too expensive, especially 6 months after the con.

That's good to hear. I know patience has paid off on many occasions for me in collecting. Especially in recent years with the mass of product out there combined with most collectors' short attention spans. Most stuff I've gotten the past few years has been for retail or less, even when factoring in shipping etc.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 09:15:33 AM »

I like the exclusives but I'm a local joe shopper so I rarely go out of my city for my stuff. Having said that I'm glad I'm not a completist.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »

I'm going to wait to see all the figures before I decide to buy this set....
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »

Quote from: "bandonov"

Agree, and I'm suppose to be going this year to the con.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

turner

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »

I would have liked the set much better if it had not been billed as the special mission brazil theme.  That led to my hope that they were doing them accurately.  As just a new imaginitive set, it's not bad.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »

hmmm the previews have let me down a bit, not sure what I was expecting but I dont think Ill be getting the set.  All I want from the set would be the De Aco which Ill try and get seperately.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
Quote from: "bandonov"

Agree, and I'm suppose to be going this year to the con.

Same here.  I saw this set was Mission Brazil w/PP and I was already booking everything in my mind, but now I am waiting to see, and most likely won't go either way.