JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI Joe 2 to be released on June 29, 2012  (Read 19841 times)

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe 2 to be released on August 10, 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
there's a report in today's Daily Mirror (UK paper) that Sienna Miller is said to be glad she's not coming back for 2, calling 1 'GI Joke' and said she was cast without Stephen Sommers meeting her, which she called 'a mistake' as she said the first thing he said to her was 'you're short'...

This was known a while back from what I have read. 

I wonder if "short" means your flat chested.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »

I had a good laugh at her thinking that GI Joe "compromised" her when all you have to do is look at her personal behaviour and realize there is nothing to compromise.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
I felt like the people in the movie had never watched the cartoon or read the comics.

But the cartoons were wretched and the comics even worse. Drawing inspiration from them would be the worst possible thing because they were both so horribly hokey.
Do people REALLY want someone on screen screeching like Chris Latta or doing an awful "female Bela Lugosi" like Morgan Lofting? That works in cartoons because its so broad, but in live-action, on the big screen..............oy vey.

I think the hokeyness was part of the charm. There are hundreds of serious military flicks out there and action flicks trying to be as badass as they can be.

Chris Latta's Cobra Commander voice is one of the most iconic American cartoon voices ever recorded. Up there with Yogi Bear, Fred Flintstone and Kevin Conroy's Batman. (though decidedly nowhere near Homer Simpson)

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 09:07:50 PM »

I felt like the people in the movie had never watched the cartoon or read the comics.

But the cartoons were wretched and the comics even worse. Drawing inspiration from them would be the worst possible thing because they were both so horribly hokey.
Do people REALLY want someone on screen screeching like Chris Latta or doing an awful "female Bela Lugosi" like Morgan Lofting? That works in cartoons because its so broad, but in live-action, on the big screen..............oy vey.

Trash to cartoon all you want but for the most part the comic wasn't hokey IMO. Larry did a lot of research on that stuff.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"

Trash to cartoon all you want but for the most part the comic wasn't hokey IMO. Larry did a lot of research on that stuff.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah, "lotta research".........giant walking machines coming out of the sea to threaten a launch a Cape Canaveral.... and its not hokey?

Actually my fav is this one: Stalker and Storm Shadow have just sent Snake-Eyes on a hard mission to keep him from becoming all maudlin over Scarlet who was shot in the head by the Baroness. They climb out of the belly of a B-2 and Storm Shadow comes up and says he detects a PASSIVE laser designator targeting him.

Yeaaaah, a passive device doesn't emit anything, so how can Storm Shadow detect it??

Yup, great research there.  ::)
That's one of the ones that stuck with me, I do know there's a LOT of others ( especially in the artwork, a LOT of sloppy mistakes there).

Look, I'm being flippant and sarcastic in the same breath, and I'm NOT looking to get under anyone's skin. I think the GIJOE comics and the cartoons are VERY over-rated and come across quite poorly. I think the writing is VERY over-praised and doesn't reflect the real talents of Larry Hama. He's done far better work on other titles--but GIJOE is remembered more for some strange reason.
I've tried to sit down and read them all in some kind of systematic order but they are really are badly done and do not hold up at all--and I honestly cannot stomach more than a handful of issues before I have to stop.
I know there's a lot of other folks that see these things through rose-coloured glasses, and that's fine--its their prerogative to do so.
But critically speaking.............ugh.
I'm not a fan of the comics or cartoons.

I think the hokeyness was part of the charm. There are hundreds of serious military flicks out there and action flicks trying to be as badass as they can be.

Back when ROC was in production, I wrote several times that I thought the idealized "GIJOE" movie has already been made: in the form of Megaforce. Starring Barry Bostwick and Persis Khambatta, its about a futuristic special mission force........and its the ultimate in suck. It'd be about the dumbest thing you'd ever watch.
BUT, in terms of how GIJOE has been portrayed in the comics and cartoons, Megaforce is, imo, GIJOE to a tee.
Its charming in its campiness, audacious in how cheezy it is, and unbelievably hokey........which is what GIJOE is.
GIJOE sure isn't Blackhawk Down, its superheroes and super-villains in a military context--I hate to break it to anyone who thinks otherwise.......its about as far from realistic as it can get, and in a way, I'm glad for that.

I'm a fan of the ROC movie.
I think it set out to translate what GIJOE is, and did so admirably.
But I'm not a fan of the cartoons and comics ( as I have stated), but I AM a fan of the toys. And the ROC movie translated much of how I saw the toys in my own head.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:46:51 PM by ARROW »

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »

Wow... That was serious and with examples too...

We need a comedy relief post now...

Lurking

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Wow... That was serious and with examples too...

We need a comedy relief post now...

Cancer???

Damn it anyway..........I was TRYING to give you strep throat!!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »

The cartoon was aimed for kids.  Hence, it should be hokey as it's a glorified commercial to sell toys.  You think if the cartoon in the 1980s was made like Resolute we would even be talking Joe today?  I highly doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:31:14 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 02:23:28 AM »

be fair, the giant walking machines attack cape canaveral shit wasn't written by Hama.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
The cartoon was aimed for kids.  Hence, it should be hokey as it's a glorified commercial to sell toys.  You think if the cartoon in the 1980s was made like Resolute we would even be talking Joe today?  I highly doubt it.

Even Resolute was cheesy with its melodrama. (refer to Storm Shadow's monologues, Scarlett and Duke's back 'n forth, Cobra Commander constantly berating and occasionally offing his followers) It was just a different kind of cheesy. (an asiago instead of a processed cheddar if I dare say)

I'm pretty sure Hama intended the comic to be absurdist (and it is). He just sprinkled in enough military knowledge and reality to keep the reader hooked.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »

Almost everyone here is chasing the dragon.  We remember with fondness things that were special from our childhood.  Companies cash in on this.  Is there any logical reason why we still buy their stuff?

Critically, whatever we enjoyed (comics, cartoons) may not stand up.  Many of us are willing to fight to our dying breath to defend them though.  To me - I loved the comics.  What did I love?  The learning.  Mr. Hama threw in points here and there based on actual fact.  He frequently threw in facts, words or terms that I had to look up (sub rosa was the latest in issue 162) and I still look forward to that.  I agree that Hama does try for the absurd, the eccentric.  The cartoon was not my cuppa, especially during the Shipwreck years (breakdancing in general made me wince, and to see Snake Eyes do it............).  But to some people, that was what brought them in.  They hold it near and dear.

As for ROC, much of it was only what they could have possibly done - as David Willis points out with Transformers, adult fans would never get a Ful Metal Jacket type film (they wouldn't like it if they did get it anyway).  The plot for ROC was just another typical Joe story.  I thought it was FINE.  Wayans did a great job portraying the character he was HIRED to portray.  I think there were several mis-casts, but again, this is my opinion.  I am just glad we got a movie.    Will the new director pull it off?  Who knows.  What concerns me is his lack of action film experience.  Hopefully the writers will come through.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 08:46:37 AM »

Quote from: "Sundance"
there's a report in today's Daily Mirror (UK paper) that Sienna Miller is said to be glad she's not coming back for 2, calling 1 'GI Joke' and said she was cast without Stephen Sommers meeting her, which she called 'a mistake' as she said the first thing he said to her was 'you're short'...

Oops... I quoted the wrong story that Sundance said... he is the UK article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2011/03/09/sienna-miller-calls-g-i-joe-a-g-i-joke-115875-22975947/

Sienna Miller calls G.I. Joe a "G.I. Joke"
by Ashleigh Rainbird, Daily Mirror 9/03/2011

SIENNA Miller has a sense of humour. Who’d have thought?

The actress, 29, branded her 2009 action flop G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra a “G.I. Joke” yesterday, and revealed she has “got out of” returning for a sequel.

“It compromised my values,” she said. “I didn’t feel too good about myself.”

Read On... AdsValues? Anyway, the main problem with the film, she explains, was that she hadn’t met director Stephen Sommers in casting sessions. Yes. That was the problem.

“I got cast without the director having met me. Which was a first, and probably an error on their part,” she said.

“The first thing he said to me was, ‘God, you’re really short.’ But in a Hollywood accent.”
Lurking