JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: How backpacks and various equipment can make a figure better  (Read 2023 times)

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
How backpacks and various equipment can make a figure better
« on: October 12, 2004, 12:44:21 PM »

From reading various reviews and such about modern Joes, it has become apparent that I'm not the only one who thinks the weapons/accessories included with the figures are pretty lacklustre overall.   I think it actually started in 93 with the Battle Corps uncut-sprue thing.  As for the newer stuff, I find it is possible to add some life to a figure with the proper equipment - for example, VvV Tunnel Rat was a really boring figure to me until I gave him Wide Scope's gun.  And, Alley Viper II was heading for complete obscurity until I gave him that big double-triggered Cobra assault rifle and Torch's backpack (the black one that came with w3 VvV BAT - yeah it doesn't make sense but it looks cool :thumbsup: ).  Now, it isn''t the greatest figure by any means, BUT it does look better to me and I feel now that I didn't completely waste $5 on the figure.  Basically I think a lot of the newer figures, especially "troop"-type figures, can benefit from a decent weapon/backpack look.  For the original ARAH figures, especially the earlier ones, their equipment was part of who they were, like 83 Gung Ho or Tripwire and the figure wasn't really complete without it.  Since the new stuff doesn't always come with specific accessories (a lot of it seems just tossed in) it becomes necessary to equip them ourselves and recreate the feeling of the (usually) uniquely-accessorized originals.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 07:00:45 PM »

Hasbro does get a failing grade with me in terms of accessories picked in the last few years.  They keep reusing the same gun molds over and over again.  Part of the problem is that they can't replicate real life guns any more without paying some for of fee.  Copyright issues.

But geeze they need to make better selections.  Like Scrap Iron
http://yojoe.com/action/04/scrapiron2.shtml

WTF was the guy at Hasbro smoking when he picked these accessories?  Liquid paper.  There are some good ones like the Agent Faces shotgun.

But for the most part gone are the days when you can identify a figure with his/her accessories.  [/list]
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 12:56:33 AM »

They could not even put the barrel clip in the old rock viper gun...what were they using...left overs....!

I would have traded all these for one good pistol !!!