JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Why you like the Canadian Joe Con/meet exclusives and what they mean to you.  (Read 3726 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile

Was having some conversations with others on The HATE tank this year on other boards and was getting some good reviews by pretty much everyone.  Some people though claimed to "Not Get it" which is fine, I can understand its not everyones cup of tea.  It got me thinking of what makes me so enthusiatic about this, I mean I couldnt get the past exclusives and so I started to make my own 25th versions, and I cant tell you how happy I was to have got an official con set this year all for my own, I wanted it so badly I lined up at 1:30 am.  My response to other board members was was this (and Im not ripping on them for not liking it because it is perfectly fine to not like it, Im just saying it got me thinking of why I like JoeCanuck and the CJC exclusives)

"i'm convinced that i'm the only person on the planet that hates this thing.

and the driver looks like one of the stormtrooper rip off guys from the Black Hole..."

"Your not alone.

I too miss the point of it."

my response: I can understand some people not liking it, which is fine, but for many of us Canadians, its great to have exclusives that are purely Canadian and now even a mythos and back story that started with JoeCanuck with the Charaters in which even Larry Hama endorsed with his file card profiles.  Its more then just the looks sometimes, its also the ideal.

that in a nutshell are my reasons to go gagga over the exclusives and go as far to make customs of the past ones for my own pleasure. Im proud to have it as a Canadian thing as well as a Joe thing.  What are your reasons?  Im curious what if someone asked you "what is the point of getting the exclusive" what your response be? Financial? Canadian Pride? Complete Colection? Just like it?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:34:52 AM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious

I really enjoyed putting the Canadian stickers on. I haven't done that since 1985 - really brought back some nostalgia.

I like HISS tanks and have several - a silver one is a great addition.

I'm also very impressed that the con set design team was able to take what are probably the most common 25th/ME toys in Canada and make them the rarest, all with a believable story and good packaging.

Chacal Noir is an excellent figure and I like the Dead Eye much more than the Armadillo (the Canadian stickers and extra cannons push the Dead Eye over the top).

The only things I'm concerned about with the set are:

- how durable it is - most con toys seem pretty fragile due to their limited runs and "for collectors only" status. The JoeCon set is more durable than I expected but I still wonder how long it will last from me occasionally moving it around, posing the figures...playing with them  ;D How long do chrome finishes last? That kind of thing.

- my Frostback Trooper is super-floppy. Not a huge deal as he'll be driving the HATE most of the time but a bit more joint tightness would be nice. I'm no customizer but I imagine the figures needed to be disassembled and re-glued/screwed for the black dye to reach everywhere.

My reasons then are nostalgia and just enjoying the concept. I suppose I've ruined the financial aspect by stickering everything and psoing the figures  ;D

I've never bought a convention exclusive EVER but I picked this one up because it seemed really well done. I wasn't let down - great job by everyone involved.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

roshan

• phpBB CJC Volunteer
  • phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile

Why I like it:  It blinds my friends  ;D

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com

For anyone that has a floppy Frostback, tighten the screws and he should stand up on his own.

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
For anyone that has a floppy Frostback, tighten the screws and he should stand up on his own.

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work with mine. The hip joints and torso joint refuse to tighten up...but, it's OK as he'll be driving most of the time anyway.
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Bandalero

• View Profile

Quote from: "Colonel Abernathy"
Quote from: "THE Mike?"

Okay, what's missing here (at least on mine) was the little plastic nubs that are sometimes inside the outer-thigh sockets - not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly here.

My frostback was/is as equally floppy, must be because of the ryte dye disassembly I don't know.  Anyways, he was missing these two plastic nubs/cups which I lifted from a comic pack Storm Shadow and transferred over to him.  Fixed the floppy legs.

As for the torso, unfrotuantely I don't know what kind of fix this could use.  The torso would need to be cracked open and the peg dabbed with a layer of crazy glue to make it more thick.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:51:50 AM by Bandalero »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile

To me, I enjoy the Canadian recognition if gives the line for us.  It feels more official this year.  As well, last years Con was the first Con of any type ever I have been too and I enjoyed it very much.

I am by no means a completist and VERY rarely pay more than the $9.99 Shelf prices.  Snowbank at $30 last year and now this year's set are by far the most I have ever paid for anything.  Nor am I an army builder.  I have a figure or two from most of the MC sets - whenever I could find them for a reasonable price.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

master_stanley

• View Profile

I wish I had been able to get a set this year it was truly amazing to see in person. I would have bought it beacuse it is a Canadian piece and that means something to me. Not to mention it is awsome. People who may knock it on other msg boards are likely jealous that they could not get a set. Also the thought of all the hard work that goes into the set also makes me think it is a treasure to but on a shelf with the rest of your G I Joe toys.