JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: A Question Of Loyalties...  (Read 2799 times)

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
A Question Of Loyalties...
« on: July 25, 2009, 09:45:57 AM »

So, this is a question that went through my head a few days ago, and I thought it might be fun to ask.  It's based off the following hypothetical scenario:

We know the GI Joe License changes hands, every now and again.  Not the toy licenses (In North America, anyway) but the Cartoon and Comic licenses.  And we know that with the current recession, we've seen a lot of different companies sell off assets in order to remain afloat (Chrysler comes to mind). 

In the unlikely event that Hasbro ever sold the GI Joe toy license to another manufacturer, would you still be as loyal to the Joe brand?  Or would you be of the mind;  "Not Hasbro, not really the same GI Joe"?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Canuklehead

• View Profile
Re: A Question Of Loyalties...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:48:12 AM »

For me, it would depend on the quality of the toys.  As much as I like GI Joe, I didn't like Sigma 6 or a lot of the smaller experiments along the way.

But if a competing manufacturer got the Joe license and put out the exact same toy using the exact same molds, I'd still be into them.

And lord knows the price of all the old Hasbro lines would skyrocket!

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »

i would have to base it on the quality also. on the same end i do not like the new stuff as much as the old, but i collect it becuse i can get it as its coming out and not miss much, and its less expencive to get it then trying to get vintage stuff 20 years later lol.

you just can beat the old joes for durability! i dont think the 25th ann. style of gijoe will last the test of time and kids playing with them like the vintabge ones did.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »

I bought those action figure keychains - they were originally Hasbro product, but another company got the license and sold them so.
I would have to see if they kept it the same I would still be a fan.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

the four single packs that are yellow, or the big 4 pack?
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 03:17:47 PM »

It was the 4 single packs that showed up at Toysrus about 10 years ago.

They looked like this
http://www.yojoe.com/archive/nottoys/keychain-pilot.shtml

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »

By no means am I loyal to Hasbro.  I'm loyal to the GIJoe Brand.  I loved Starwars when it was Kenner.  As long as it is a product that I find cool and fits with what I want, it doesn't matter who produces it.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »

Quote from: "Realboss"
By no means am I loyal to Hasbro.  I'm loyal to the GIJoe Brand.  I loved Starwars when it was Kenner.  As long as it is a product that I find cool and fits with what I want, it doesn't matter who produces it.

I totally agree. We also have some examples from the past... I mean Estrela (Brazil), Plastirama (Argentina), Funskool (India), Palitoy (UK), etc. Some of those figs are really great. So I guess I like the 3 3/4 scale, I like how the figs are made, their accessories, colors, etc. made by Hasbro or not.

Martin

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:10 PM »

I think a lot of the satellite companies that made the Joe brand in other countries were building them based on Hasbro guidelines.  I don't know for sure, but it would explain why they're all similar.

But if a company were to buy the Joe brand and make a bunch of "The Corps" knock offs, I don't think I'd be so into them.  It would be very easy to say "Man, I wish Hasbro were still making these"

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »

I think quality is probably the most important thing, but also for me there's a certain awesomeness that the toy has to have. I never really looked at Sigma 6 because I didn't like the scale, the new sculpt figures were meh! at best. I love the the 25th because they are awesome! its like getting the original, but not.

To me its awesome that I can get all my childhood toys that are familiar and I wanted as a kid, yet at the same time get something totally new. The new movie figures are cool but they don't have the same awesomeness as the 25th figs (although I really like the tons of  accessories they come with)

So if Hasbro sold them it would really depend on what the company did with the license. Keep it awesome, good quality and in the 80's for me and I'm loyal to whoever.