JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Osama Bin Laden DEAD!!!!!  (Read 6918 times)

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Osama Bin Laden DEAD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
While the death of any human being, good or evil, is not something that should be celebrated...

Agreed on the upper sentiment. I wish he could've been brought to justice and made to pay for his crimes. Seems like he got off easy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"
While the death of any human being, good or evil, is not something that should be celebrated...

Agreed on the upper sentiment. I wish he could've been brought to justice and made to pay for his crimes. Seems like he got off easy.

I'm torn between the desired result (which was achieved) and having him rot in a jail cell.  But if they had captured him alive & brought him back to stand trial it would have been an absolute media circus & a muck of appeals, questions if he could have gotten a fair trial, if his "rights" were violated etc etc etc.

In the end, I think there's a few monsters out there like Bin Laden that just deserve a bullet.  But even that was too good for him.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »

Quote from: "Sundance"

I love this Pic, I made it my wallpaper at work.
Lurking

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »

besides, if they had caught him and were to try putting him in a court, good luck finding 12 competent people to make up the jury without them being prejudiced already by it being the mastermind of the world's worst terror attack.

or would they give him a military trial and legitimise him as a combatant in a war?

he wouldn't have let them take him alive any way. the double-tap was the simplest thing.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »

As bad as it is to say, in this case (and this case only) I think taking him out on the spot was the right call. Keeping him alive would only have lead to more terrorist attacks and innocent people been taken captive and executed "until Bin Laden in released" or something like that.

At least this way we won't have to deal with that aspect of it and I feel confident that someone else would have said something along those lines when the raid on his place was being established. My feelings are they wanted him DOA.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:48 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"

I'm torn between the desired result (which was achieved) and having him rot in a jail cell.  But if they had captured him alive & brought him back to stand trial it would have been an absolute media circus & a muck of appeals, questions if he could have gotten a fair trial, if his "rights" were violated etc etc etc.

In the end, I think there's a few monsters out there like Bin Laden that just deserve a bullet.  But even that was too good for him.

Perhaps look at it this way:

He and his ilk are failures.
One of them grabbed a woman to use as a human shield, which says that bad guy didn't really hold to the Al Queda ideology of being prepared for martyrdom. Using a human shield is a sign of cowardice, a survival instinct. And if the bad guy wasn't Bin Laden himself, then HE'S a failure for having one so close to him show such behavior despite all the long-winded rants about how Al Queda is "better" than the West. In the end, all their talk was hollow, empty, and their remaining followers should pay heed to that fact.
Al Queda failed. They failed to protect him, their leader failed to defeat his sworn enemy when they came upon him. They failed to protect the followers--as the US now has a huge intel dump in their hands with captured documents.

So, now that he's dead, his last choices in life reflect on his leadership, and his failures. Killing him outright diminishes him as a figurehead, makes him less of a martyr because there's less substance to fight for now, less a tangible thing. Its said that recruits swore allegiance to Bin Laden, not to the cause of Al Queda--perhaps a big mistake, because now that rallying point is gone. A trial, would have been for show. It wouldn't have served America's interests, and would have created more problems. In terms of an overall strategy, killing Bin Laden was the only sensible choice that could be made.

And yes, there are monsters amongst us, and the noble thing to do is slay those monsters so that they can never enact their terrible deeds upon society again.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »

In the end, don't forget there were a whole whack of people out there who actually performed his evil deeds.

Does this mean there will be a resurgence in military themed toys??????
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 06:46:07 PM »

I love how the chickenshit hated the ideals of "West" and yet lived in a million dollar mansion.

One of them grabbed a woman to use as a human shield, which says that bad guy didn't really hold to the Al Queda ideology of being prepared for martyrdom. Using a human shield is a sign of cowardice, a survival instinct. And if the bad guy wasn't Bin Laden himself, then HE'S a failure for having one so close to him show such behavior despite all the long-winded rants about how Al Queda is "better" than the West.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... an-mansion

It's been reported that Bin Laden used one of his wives as a human shield.  If hiding behind a weaker person to save your skin isn't the most cowardly act that one can do, I don't know what is.  

And the burial at sea bugs me.  The problem is, he didn't deserve one.  He had no honour.  
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »

And the burial at sea bugs me.  The problem is, he didn't deserve one.  He had no honour. 
That wasn't for Bin Laden as much as it was a statement for the rest of the Muslim world.
That even in spite of being America's number one most hated enemy, they can still summon the dignity to treat the burial of a "Muslim" with respect ( we assume) according to Muslim traditions. Al Queda has never done this, not once.......and yet they claim they are the high road in this. I guess Al Queda still needs to work on it some.

Does this mean there will be a resurgence in military themed toys???

I'd like to assume, yes.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »

As cowardly as it is to grab a bystander to use as a human shield, it's even worse when it's a woman...and still worse, one of his own wives.  Just further proof of what a dishonorable coward the supposed greatest terrorist mastermind in the world was. 

As for a resurgence of military-themed toys, I'd love a special commemorative Joe set featuring the members of SEAL Team Six.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"

I hear you.. And the millions of dollars that would have been dedicated to his rights, care and trial....
Money that can be put to better use, I'm sure.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 12:01:54 AM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"

And the burial at sea bugs me.  The problem is, he didn't deserve one.  He had no honour.  

You are assuming that the burial at sea actually took place of course.......
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.