JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Movie Vehicle Toy Pics! NIGHT RAVEN!!  (Read 4800 times)

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Movie Vehicle Toy Pics! NIGHT RAVEN!!
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »

http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2009/02/e ... new-g.html

The Pics:

ICE DAGGER with Frostbite:

NIGHT RAVEN with Strato Viper

"HUMMER" with Unnamed Cobra Driver - Maybe MOTOR VIPER?

ROCK SLIDE with Frostbite

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:38:11 AM by Stealth Viper »
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Vehicle Toy Pics! NIGHT RAVEN!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »

The idea of a new Night Raven is intrigueing, but is it just me or do the vehicles look like Lanard quality.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

FastFord58

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 12:00:37 PM »

I just died a bit inside. That Raven...so small and hokey. The SUV thing is cool though. The driver's head is reminiscent of a night viper.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:13:02 PM »

I don't know. I kinda like them. I also like the fact they are small since toy space is all but gone. The Rock Slide is the worst of the bunch.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 12:18:15 PM »

That Night Raven is all kinds of sweet.  Just enough of the original look with updates.

The Scarab (Hummer) looks even better than the picture in Toyfare.  Also that is a great new Motor Viper mold.  So we probably will be seeing it in the future of the 25th line.

The 2 snow vehicles are easy passes.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »

This is what I was dreading.

Re-purposed , badly under-scaled, or just plain oddly assigned vehicles.

I have the "Ice Dagger"--I have a much better looking version of it in the Ice Saber. Zero incentive to get this re-hash.

Night Raven.  Design is okay, but its VERY small. Its clearly intended to be derivative of the original toy design, but its missing the mark is size. What it says to me is the toy line is going cheap because there's not a lot of faith in the brand--despite the movie.

The "Hummer".  This one is wrong on so many levels for me. The biggest one is that its "conventional". The movie might be setting different ground rules in design aesthetics, but throughout the toyline's history COBRA has embraced the unconventional in terms of design.
A "normal" looking 4 wheeler is prosaic for COBRA. If the thing has 7 wheels, with one in the center-line back, then it would look "COBRA-weird" enough. It would reflect the maverick weapon design philosophies of Destro and be visually distinct from vehicles that GIJOE uses.
This ain't that.

The Rockslide. The only "good" design in the bunch. This is an example of doing something with nothing. How do you make a snow mobile cool? You sleek it up on the nose, add weapon hard-points on the ski struts, and give it a camouflage  paint job.
But as a toy......it misses the mark. it looks cheap. Solid cast parts like the tread assembly always says " cut corners for cost"--especially when they are unpainted plastic.
Its more of the same, and not enough of what it could be.
I was hoping for something a bit more daring, a bit more involved and a bit different.
This isn't it.

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »

That Hummer will be a great vehicle for gangsters.
Say no to AFA.

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »

Looks like the Raven is a re-working of the Sigma 6 2.5" Cobra jet.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

thatcarlguy

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »

I dig the Hummer. I like the driver too. He does like the Motor Viper.

I also don't mind the small size. I don't have room for big vehicles. I'd pick up the Night Raven at this size. I'm actually finding myself liking some of this movie stuff. Not all of it but some. :)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:20:23 PM by thatcarlguy »

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"

I have the "Ice Dagger"--I have a much better looking version of it in the Ice Saber. Zero incentive to get this re-hash.

Night Raven.  Design is okay, but its VERY small. Its clearly intended to be derivative of the original toy design, but its missing the mark is size. What it says to me is the toy line is going cheap because there's not a lot of faith in the brand--despite the movie.

The "Hummer".  This one is wrong on so many levels for me. The biggest one is that its "conventional". The movie might be setting different ground rules in design aesthetics, but throughout the toyline's history COBRA has embraced the unconventional in terms of design.
A "normal" looking 4 wheeler is prosaic for COBRA. If the thing has 7 wheels, with one in the center-line back, then it would look "COBRA-weird" enough. It would reflect the maverick weapon design philosophies of Destro and be visually distinct from vehicles that GIJOE uses.
This ain't that.

The Rockslide. The only "good" design in the bunch. This is an example of doing something with nothing. How do you make a snow mobile cool? You sleek it up on the nose, add weapon hard-points on the ski struts, and give it a camouflage  paint job.
But as a toy......it misses the mark. it looks cheap. Solid cast parts like the tread assembly always says " cut corners for cost"--especially when they are unpainted plastic.
I was hoping for something a bit more daring, a bit more involved and a bit different.
This isn't it.

I usually agree with you on things arrow, but I think you are wrong here on many things.

1) Night Raven:  It's small because Hasbro doesn't have faith in large vehicles anymore.  As well, if the Night Raven isn't featured heavily in the movie, then parents/kids won't be willing to pay a lot for something that is barely remembered.  The best example is the AT-TE from Star Wars.  It probably did sell well, and was featured heavily, but it still had leftovers that went on sale for less than half.  The movie isn't going to be another Star Wars, especially with retailers, so they won't be as willing to bank on a large vehicle.  Especially since it is now known that there is a PIT coming (at $100).

2) Scarab.  This vehicle is in one of the big chase scenes, and while the rest of the vehicle line up looks futuristic, when trying to get around a city, you can't really draw too much attention to yourself.  A crazy design will do that, this doesn't.  Overall I get it that it is a personal choice for you, but I think this is one of the best designs so far.  I always preferred the more realistic/semi-realistic vehicles over the crazy designs.

3) The snow vehicles.  I agree with you on the Ice Dagger/Sabre.  However I find the Rockslide a design mess.  From the picture of the movie version to this toy one, I feel it comes off as someone just adding a long windshield and going "TA-DA!" future snowmobile.  It just doesn't work for me.  However, knowing my luck it will feature in the coolest part of the movie and I will love it afterwards.

So for me, the best things shown so far are the Night Raven and Motor Viper.  The Stratoviper looks like the 25th version, so I will use the original colours version.  The Motor Viper is begging to take over my old STUN.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »

I'll be able to wait till clearance on these. I bet we get palates and palates of Rockslides...

- R
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Quote from: "canprime"
Quote from: "ARROW"

This ain't that.

This isn't it.

I usually agree with you on things arrow, but I think you are wrong here on many things.

1) Night Raven:  It's small because Hasbro doesn't have faith in large vehicles anymore.  As well, if the Night Raven isn't featured heavily in the movie, then parents/kids won't be willing to pay a lot for something that is barely remembered.  The best example is the AT-TE from Star Wars.  It probably did sell well, and was featured heavily, but it still had leftovers that went on sale for less than half.  The movie isn't going to be another Star Wars, especially with retailers, so they won't be as willing to bank on a large vehicle.  Especially since it is now known that there is a PIT coming (at $100).

2) Scarab.  This vehicle is in one of the big chase scenes, and while the rest of the vehicle line up looks futuristic, when trying to get around a city, you can't really draw too much attention to yourself.  A crazy design will do that, this doesn't.  Overall I get it that it is a personal choice for you, but I think this is one of the best designs so far.  I always preferred the more realistic/semi-realistic vehicles over the crazy designs.

3) The snow vehicles.  I agree with you on the Ice Dagger/Sabre.  However I find the Rockslide a design mess.  From the picture of the movie version to this toy one, I feel it comes off as someone just adding a long windshield and going "TA-DA!" future snowmobile.  It just doesn't work for me.  However, knowing my luck it will feature in the coolest part of the movie and I will love it afterwards.

So for me, the best things shown so far are the Night Raven and Motor Viper.  The Stratoviper looks like the 25th version, so I will use the original colours version.  The Motor Viper is begging to take over my old STUN.

How can another person's opinion be wrong?

As toys, as what they are.........they are largely boring. There's no "balls" to these toys---they say nothing in terms of design to me.
I'm more intrigued by Playmates T4 Hunter Killer in this scale than any of the GIJOE vehicles I have seen thus far. It my perennial complaint about "movie" toys at work here , in that they are often limited by the practical effects and budgetary limits of what is possible in a movie. But that doesn't even really apply here because it appears that some of these designs are not even IN the movie, and are just re-purposed or recoloured stuff from other GIJOE lines.
I'm disappointed because here was an occasion to make the brand really shine and instead we got bland instead.
I understand the "whys" but it doesn't stop me from wishing for more.