JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Need some major help with ebay please  (Read 3636 times)

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Need some major help with ebay please
« on: September 22, 2005, 04:33:19 PM »

I'm selling some old toys on ebay, but the I have a major problem. Most of the bidders are from Europe (which is not the problem) and it's at well over 100US (problem) with a couple days remaining. Is there any way I can have the parcel shipped including something like insurance, delivery confirmation or some signature. I don't want to get screwed over and have the winner say they never received it then have paypal take the money back. Also, many of them are requesting it. However at the same time, I'm not sure the bidders want to pay like $50 for a parcel that measures 27x10x8 cm and is only 500g.

I checked at canadapost.ca and these are the options:

International Small Packet (Surface)
Base Price: $6.85
Delivery Confirmation : N/A
Signature : N/A
Insurance : $0.00 (Max Coverage of $100.00 is included)
        Total: $6.85

International Small Packet (Air)    
Base Price: $13.40
Delivery Confirmation : N/A
Signature : N/A
        Total: $13.40

PuroLetter (for documents only)  (2 to 3 business days)      
Base Price: $44.95
Fuel Surcharge: $3.03
Delivery Confirmation : Included
Signature : Included
Insurance : N/A
       Total: $47.98

The item will have to fit inside the convenience PuroLetter package

Xpresspost International Prepaid Envelopes (for documents only)  (4 business days, guaranteed)      
Base Price: $37.75
Fuel Surcharge: $2.55
Delivery Confirmation : Included
Signature : Included
Insurance : N/A
        Total: $40.30

The item will have to fit inside the prepaid envelope

Honestly, I have to say the Canadapost sucks. There is only a max coverage of 100CAN and I can't even insure or add any sort of confirmation that I know the winner will receive it. I was going to just ship it airmail, but I didn't expect the auction to get so high.

Any sort of help would be appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 05:47:16 PM »

The $100.00 CND insurance is the MINIMUM that comes with those packages - you can just walk in, say you want to ship this box to this addy, WITH insurance for X amount and they'll do it.

Last I checked, it's usually an extra $1.00 per 100.00
100.00 - free
200.00 - 1.00
300.00 - 2.00

etc
Mike

AlleyViper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:51:16 PM »

Don't ship it surface. I sent a package to Belgium via surface. It never reached Belgium, however 5 weeks later it returned to me and looked like some fat dude sat on it. Everything was fine inside but the box was junk. I had to repackage it and send it air and it arrived a few weeks later.
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

Madman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 08:15:27 PM »

Mike,
That's what I thought too. The site says coverage up to 1000. However, I just passed by the PO since it was on my way to fill up gas to make sure. Unfortunately, the MAX coverage for
and
is 100CAN.

The guy at the PO said that items shipped like that usually have little to no value, so they only cover up to 100 and I'd be **** out of luck with the rest if it got lost or if the winner claims to never have received the package. He said the only way to insure the package more than that is to ship the package in a larger parcel, which will be even more expensive (so stupid). With a larger box, these are the options:

The following shows the rate(s) for a parcel of 31.00cm x 26.00cm x 8.00cm weighing 0.6000Kg.

International Surface Parcel    
Base Price: $27.35
Fuel Surcharge: $1.85
Insurance: $2.40
Total: $31.60

Base Price: $11.50
Total: $11.50

Base Price: $26.25
Total: $26.25

Purolator International  (2 to 3 business days)      
Base Price: $86.00
Fuel Surcharge: $5.81
Insurance: $1.20
Total: $93.01

PuroPak  (2 to 3 business days)      
Base Price: $54.00
Fuel Surcharge: $3.65
Total: $58.85
The item will have to fit inside the convenience PuroPak package

Xpresspost International  (4 business days, guaranteed)      
Base Price: $48.72
Fuel Surcharge: $3.29
Total: $53.21

With a bigger box, all I get is 1 more option. So Surface shipping just sky rockets this way and it'll take even longer to arrive. I didn't ask how long it would take this way, but it seems long and more likely to get lost. So, I'm not sure if I have any other option.

So, basically, I can only insure an item over 100 if I ship it surface in a larger box or with Xpress or Purolator. Why no option for airmail? Honestly, USPS is way better than Canadapost. They should just let you insure items as high as you like so long that you pay for it. I didn't know Canadapost would make shipping worldwide such big problem.

Madman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 08:18:59 PM »

AV, it seems like surface is the only option with insurance. Unless I choose xpress or purolator and I don't think the winner wants to have to pay 50+ shipping. I was just going to keep it in the original box that was planned and ship it air for 13.40. However, now that the price has gone way up, more than i ever expected. I don't want this to come back and bite me in the ass. So, I'm not sure what to do.

AlleyViper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:57:20 AM »

Quote from: ""Madman""
AV, it seems like surface is the only option with insurance. Unless I choose xpress or purolator and I don't think the winner wants to have to pay 50+ shipping. I was just going to keep it in the original box that was planned and ship it air for 13.40. However, now that the price has gone way up, more than i ever expected. I don't want this to come back and bite me in the ass. So, I'm not sure what to do.

Hmm, how big is the box or item you want to ship? I was sending to MOC Marvel Legend figures so I had to use a big box, it may be different for what you're sending.

Could you use the International Small Pack Air? Looks like it has insurance and will go via air.
mmmm...... \":timbits:\"

Spillspleen

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 12:22:36 PM »

They pay for the postage and so on...so give them the choice...and ask them:

Do you want insurance...do you want tracking...??? And then get the right prices for them...also have a look at other international shippers...like FedEx!

After you send it is up to them...if they get it tracked then they can follow it where ever it goes...also if they want insurance it is up to them to make the claim.

I have sent alot of items to Europe and never had a problem...again make them pick and make them realize that?s its up to them...do not worry about the cost...just supply them with the info.

Madman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »

Thanks for the advice spill. That's what I did.