JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Montreal on the road  (Read 7897 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« on: December 12, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »

Just to give the Montreal members an all points bulletin: Tina and I will be staying in the Greater Toronto Area a few days to look for houses. We won't have any room for passengers. I will help organize a bus trip or van rental, if there's interest. And honestly, there should be.

This'll be my third trip down. The Ontario Joe fans are a blast. Heck, half of them have really unique jobs that are just fun to hear about if you need a break from all the GI Joe.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Updated!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:18:42 PM »

I wouldn't buy a house in the City of Toronto, unless you like paying over inflated prices.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 12:54:12 PM »

I'm using Toronto loosely. Specifically, we're thinking of Mississauga. Tina says they have a lot of opportunities for a scientist. And I can live pretty much anywhere, but close to TO is best.
Updated!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:40:18 PM »

Yup, most of the labs are in Mississauga.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 10:46:34 AM »

Actually, she just found a bunch in Scarbourogh, too. (how can a city with a name as awesome as SCAR-BURROW share a province with CORN-WALL? Honestly!) How do their labs compared to Mississauga's?
Updated!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:59:32 PM »

Quote from: ""Scramble""
Actually, she just found a bunch in Scarbourogh, too. (how can a city with a name as awesome as SCAR-BURROW share a province with CORN-WALL? Honestly!) How do their labs compared to Mississauga's?

It's really a crap shoot. Almost all the labs in ontario are in the 2 places you just mentioned. T will have no shortage of opportunities, but also no shortage of competition.

Rent a crappy little apartment there before you consider buying. You may completely hate the area and want to run away, as some sections of those two cities (especially Scarberia) are completely unlivable.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
Montreal on the road
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 03:27:23 PM »

Scarlem can be pretty unpleasant. Mississauga is just a wasteland. You're better off in the big city.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 03:21:30 AM »

Quote from: ""Scramble""

Couldn't tell you about a comparison as the labs I use for sample analysis are pretty much located in Mississauga.  

If your considering Scarbourough for work reasons, you might as well consider living in Markham (abuts north of Scarborough) or east in Durham Region (Pickering, Ajax, Whitby, Oshawa etc.).  There are parts of Scarborough I would never consider living it.

And I would never live in Mississauga to drive into Toronto.  The traffic is horrible and you have the sun blasting in your face in the morning heading east.  If you decide Mississauga for work, your better off living their.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 01:34:42 AM »

Tina lives in Lachine, the bad part, which is among the more questionable parts of Montreal so she's used to slum life (her words, or close enough). But you guys are bringing up some really useful info.

What's public transportation like from Mississauga to Toronto? Are there options other than the Go? Tina will be driving Tank Girl style, but I'll be communiting until we're settled in.
Updated!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 06:09:18 AM »

Is Lachine really that bad? I went to school at College Sainte-Anne there, and while it looked a bit on the poor side, it didn't really look all that "slummy"...
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 02:51:33 AM »

The transportation system in the Greater Toronto Area is a joke, which explains why the 401 in this area is considered the busiest highway in North America.   The TTC subway and GO train are designed for people that work downtown.  The TTC buses is only other viable option from Mississauga into Toronto.  http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/busfares But commuting will double or triple our time to get home.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Montreal on the road
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:59 AM »

Mississauga is a lot cheaper to rent in than downtown. You can pick up a 1 bedroom + den for under $1000  a month in an area that you are unlikely to get shot at walking to the parking lot (not that that's really that predictable anymore) there, where as the median rent in metro TO is about $1000-$1400.

Whatever you do, do *NOT* even go to the Jane/Finch area. Not to look, not to shop, not for any reason. I've already had one friend take a few stray bullets to his car, and very nearly his melon while he was returning a video to Blockbuster.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"