JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: 25th ann line... too many Destro and CC?  (Read 2475 times)

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
25th ann line... too many Destro and CC?
« on: July 12, 2008, 09:40:05 AM »

I'm already member of the group "We already got too many Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow", but now I'm subscribing to the group "Also too many Destro and Cobra Commander".

What's the point of so many version of these characters? Ok, they are important in the Cobra universe. But, how many time more important than no Airborne, no Mutt, no Recondo, etc.?

So here are again a new Destro and new CC:
http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/06/22.shtml

Are you collecting all these versions? By choice or because you want the other figs in the 2-pack (like Tripwire, IG soldier)?

Martin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:19:49 PM by martin-montreal »

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: 25th ann line... too much Destro and CC?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:38:49 AM »

I'm actually not buying anything that forces me to get an unwanted version of a character that I already have. I am pretty much going to wait on anything that comes with a vehicle or in a 2 pack to be released single carded, and if it isn't, I won't bother.

I am not interested enough in the product anymore to buy product I don't like in order to get product that I do.

:chicken:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:52:49 AM »

I agree, in a way.  It's excessive...  but for anyone that's having trouble finding another CC or Destro in stores, with the more that they release, it at least raises the chances that someone won't walk away totally unhappy.  It would be kind of nice if they were the versions they released at the start of the line, though.

And for me, I'm kind of collector crazy, that way - I'll be buying them when I see them.  And if I see two of the Iron Grenadier ones, I'll likely buy two for that "army builder" thing and sell or give away the extra Destro. 

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: 25th ann line... too many Destro and CC?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »

Based on YoJoe, we now have 9 versions of CC (V24 to V32) and still not counting the new ones coming.

And we have 5 versions of Destro, and again, not counting the new one for pre-order or Target exclusive.

Finally, we already have what, 3 Serpentor? And I'm not also talking about the 3 Stalker...

Is this a lack of imagination? An easy way to cut cost?

Martin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 09:20:21 PM by martin-montreal »

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 12:52:52 PM »

Probably a cash-grab.  They're taking advantage of people like myself who just has to have them all - easy solution, sell them something they already have.

But I still like it  ;D

Colonel Abernathy

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »

It's just the nature of the business.  At least the repaints come somewhat apart from each other..unlike Mattel's Batman (also happened in MOTU series) where Batman'll haev 15 versions of himself available at once.  Is there really a "Desert Assault Batman" or "Flying Icicle Batman" in The Dark Knight movie?  that kind of thing.

I actually like that CC that uses some of the CG tooling.  Reminds me of the Sonic Fighters version, where CC looked more regal.  I also thought I'd be throwing out my Destro that comes with Breaker in the comic pack...but I couldn't remove the chrome head and thus kept it...then realized it was kind of cool to have those "comic colours" (which I thought were way off at first ;) )

Having said all this, it would definitely be cooler to recieve a Recondo, Ripcord etc instead of yet another repaint of an existing character (especially one that's ALREADY been repainted) but...I can handle it when the product line is as cool as it is.  And you can always choose to "not buy it" as some have already done.  So, I can see both sides of the argument.
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 09:43:19 PM »

Quote from: "martin-montreal"
Is this a lack of imagination? An easy way to cut cost?

Repaints are the easiest way for a company like Hasbro to maximize it's return on the useage of the molds.  Hence, cut costs and have a higher profit margin since the mold doesn't have to be manufactured.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67