JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Figure Review: Red Fang Ninja  (Read 3344 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Figure Review: Red Fang Ninja
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »

So far, we have been pretty blessed with Rise of Cobra figures.  Other than an overabundence of Neo-Vipers included with just about every multi-pack, even the figures we have gotten that were a mismash of repainted parts have still been at least pretty decent.

Until now, that is.

I can just see the Hasbro product planners sitting around the table on THIS one. 

"We need another figure to fill out wave 5."
"Well, what do we have plenty of stock of?"
"Lots of MARS trooper bodies and Resolute Cobra trooper heads."
"Ok, we can make that work.  But we don't want to spend a lot of money."
"Alright, minimal paint apps.  Black, and what color did we get the discount on?  Plum?  Go with black and plum."
"We need something so it's not so plain.  Lets throw in the goggles we have left over from that comic pack Firefly."
"Well, that's ok.  But I still don't know if we can make him sell."
"Let's make him a NINJA!"
"BRILLIANT!"

Yup, sorry if you're a fan of him, but the Red Fang Ninja is the Mole Pod of figures to me.  Just TERRIBLE.  To start with, he's hindered right from the get-go by the Neo-Viper/Mars Trooper body.  Kind of short and bow-legged to begin with, Hasbro has made some decent figures out of this body.  I was a big fan of the Aero-Viper included with the Crimson Hydra. 
But not here.  Plain black can be beautiful...but coupled with the awful plum, this figure is BLEH.  The Resolute trooper's head looks a little too big on the body, the webgear looks goofy, everything is just wrong, wrong, wrong.  Not that I expect great things from the BFL's (Big, Freaking Launchers) included with the RoC figures, but the giant Frisbee launcher really doesn't do much for me.  The only other included accessories are a double sheath and a long and short sword. 

Even MOC collectors probably won't get much out of this guy.  It doesn't help that Hasbro tried to put him in a dynamic action pose.  Red Fang Ninja is just supposed to be jump kicking his way out of the package at you.  Instead it looks like he's either doing the pee-pee dance with swords, or he's jumping and trying to push out a fart for extra lift.  I can almost hear the overly exaggerated HI-YA! this guy would scream out.

If I hate this guy so much, why did I buy him?  I'm sure many of you guys are asking that question.  Well, right when Wal-Mart dropped their prices here to $5 a figure, I was at a small town Wal-Mart and ended up picking up all of wave 5, including this guy.  I have been pleasantly surprised by RoC figures time and time again.  This is the first one to really let me down.  I mean, they might seriously pose a threat to Snake Eyes after all...because when the RFNs came pee-pee dancing into the room to confront him, Snakes would probably be laughing too hard to raise his swords.

Unless you have to have every RoC figure that comes out, you want an army of guys for Snake Eyes to slaughter, or you just want a bunch of pee-pee dancing wannabe ninjas on your shelf (or maybe you just like crappy figs) pass on this guy.  BLEH!

Pics...http://s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu71/olyeller01/Figure%20Reviews/?action=view¤t=IMG_0046.jpg
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Figure Review: Red Fang Ninja
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:51:27 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
or he's jumping and trying to push out a fart for extra lift.  I can almost hear the overly exaggerated HI-YA! this guy would scream out.

:lol:  Just pure gold.  

And I agree.  This figure and those accessories are garbage.  Even the name stinks.  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:56:27 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Inzane

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »

Well, right when Wal-Mart dropped their prices here to $5 a figure, I was at a small town Wal-Mart and ended up picking up all of wave 5, including this guy. 

Two questions for you.
1)  Where do you live in Canada where your local wal-mart has dropped prices to $5 CDN?
2)  Ditto above, finding all of wave 5 on the shelf??
 :o

I've had no such luck in Edmonton so far. 

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

Quote from: "Inzane"
Well, right when Wal-Mart dropped their prices here to $5 a figure, I was at a small town Wal-Mart and ended up picking up all of wave 5, including this guy. 

Two questions for you.
1)  Where do you live in Canada where your local wal-mart has dropped prices to $5 CDN?
2)  Ditto above, finding all of wave 5 on the shelf??
 :o

I've had no such luck in Edmonton so far. 

That's the thing, buddy.  There is a little bit of a flaw in the slaw, I live in Texas but I really like this board, and I'm involved with the newsletter.  But the price of figures has dropped to $5 US here at Wal-Mart, with Target following suit.  That & Christmas helped clear out the backlog of wave 1 stuff, but finding all of wave 5 at that small town Wal-Mart was just a stroke of luck.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 11:11:21 PM »

I found all of Wave 5 at a Zellers in Calgary today, and I can confirm that the Red Fang Ninja sucks in Alberta as well.

Also found a "stashed" Kamakura in with the Star Trek figures, moved him deeper into the display and put a Neo-Viper in his place. I should have put the Red Fang there instead.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 09:24:32 AM »

Quote from: "Sureshot"
I found all of Wave 5 at a Zellers in Calgary today, and I can confirm that the Red Fang Ninja sucks in Alberta as well.

Also found a "stashed" Kamakura in with the Star Trek figures, moved him deeper into the display and put a Neo-Viper in his place. I should have put the Red Fang there instead.

Now that is awesome. Good job sir!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 01:23:08 PM by morgardee »
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »

I would pick one up for the webgear. I need it, and wasn't willing to buy another comic pack just to get it.

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 12:08:35 PM »

I too agree.  I did Deadshot a service by buying the one in Stratford.  Craptacular - no real planning involved, just slap it together.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.