JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Parts Frustration  (Read 2182 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Parts Frustration
« on: September 24, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »

As I get further & further along in going through all the Joes I brought back I get more & more frustrated.  Almost all of my seem to have one or two parts missing & it annoys the heck out of me.

Hurricane - missing one yellow thruster & two missles
Thunderclap - missing one support for the big gun.  Naturally one of the main parts to the vehicle
Python Conquest - one of the small wings & the cap to 1 bomb
Mudfighter - 2 bombs
Ice Sabre - 4 missiles
Condor - two small bombs, 1 large bomb, 3 missiles & the ring the gun attaches to.
Devilfish - gun, 1 torpedo, 1 missile, 1 engine

The only complete vehicle so far is Fort America.

This is driving me batty!  Does anyone else feel my pain?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Parts Frustration
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »

This is one of the reasons why I have stopped buying vehicles that are not listed as being 100% complete.  I use to try and get all of the missing parts buy picking up other vehicles that were not complete but by the time I was done I had spent more money in total.

I think if I got back into collecting vehicles I would only buy them MIB.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »

Quote from: "akpayne"
I think if I got back into collecting vehicles I would only buy them MIB.

But what if you decide to open your MISB box one day only to realize that there's a factory defect or missing piece in the plastic tree... :lol:

Just kidding, usually when I get them MISB, I know that for the price tag I pay, they're definetely to keep in the box.

On another note, buying vehicles and figures that are complete only may seem expensive at first but they are on the long run a safer way to complete your collection, moneywise and timewise.
2 + 2 = 22

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »

I know it may cost more in the long run to buy/trade for parts you need, but i have fun doing it, and then putting it all together.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »

Quote from: "dodge822"
I know it may cost more in the long run to buy/trade for parts you need, but i have fun doing it, and then putting it all together.

That you do have a point Dodge and I stand corrected! What's the point of collecting anyways if you can't take your time to enjoy every aspect of it. GI joe toys are about the ingenius parts or accessories that came with them, so looking out for them makes us appreciate them even more.

I admit that I still have a good number of vehicles that are incomplete. I actually don't mind picking them up in that state as long as the vehicles' overall look and integrity doesn't suffer from the fact it's missing something. Per instance I'll pick up a vehicle with a missing missile or gun, rather then one missing a wheel or an entire turret.
2 + 2 = 22

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:42:53 PM »

I really appreciate all the parts offers I got within just a couple of hours of posting that.  You guys are freakin' GREAT!  That's why I love posting here.  The post was one more of annoyance than a request for help.

Here's why it's so frustrating: I finally get my Joes out after 15 years.  I was a very, very particular kid about keeping my toys complete.  If I lost a part it would annoy me to no end, so I'm about 99% certain I had all those parts.  When I got my Joes out, I searched ALMOST every possible place I could for parts.  There are three possibilities for more parts, and they make me shudder.

1.  There are more in my old big toy box which USED to be only reserved for Ninja Turtles.  Somehow some Joe parts got thrown in there as well...possible and even probable.
2.  I have a 35 gallon trashcan almost full of loose Hot Wheels cars in the attic, there may be some mixed in there.  I dread going through all those.
3.  Heaven forbid, there are some Joe parts mixed in with my approximately (exaggeration of course but you get the idea) 1.5 million Lego bricks in the Lego tub.  I dread going through those as well.

Plus, I'm very tempted to buy replacements for what I'm missing.  I'm pretty sure that, in typical fashion, if I do buy the parts I will find them on my next trip home.  That's the other problem: I have no idea when I'll get to go back to Shiner and I'll have time to go through the rest of the stuff.  In the meantime the incomplete vehicles will sit there and annoy me.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »

Quote from: "olyeller01"
I really appreciate all the parts offers I got within just a couple of hours of posting that.  You guys are freakin' GREAT!  That's why I love posting here.  The post was one more of annoyance than a request for help.

Here's why it's so frustrating: I finally get my Joes out after 15 years.  I was a very, very particular kid about keeping my toys complete.  If I lost a part it would annoy me to no end, so I'm about 99% certain I had all those parts.  When I got my Joes out, I searched ALMOST every possible place I could for parts.  There are three possibilities for more parts, and they make me shudder.

1.  There are more in my old big toy box which USED to be only reserved for Ninja Turtles.  Somehow some Joe parts got thrown in there as well...possible and even probable.
2.  I have a 35 gallon trashcan almost full of loose Hot Wheels cars in the attic, there may be some mixed in there.  I dread going through all those.
3.  Heaven forbid, there are some Joe parts mixed in with my approximately (exaggeration of course but you get the idea) 1.5 million Lego bricks in the Lego tub.  I dread going through those as well.

Plus, I'm very tempted to buy replacements for what I'm missing.  I'm pretty sure that, in typical fashion, if I do buy the parts I will find them on my next trip home.  That's the other problem: I have no idea when I'll get to go back to Shiner and I'll have time to go through the rest of the stuff.  In the meantime the incomplete vehicles will sit there and annoy me.

Its your lucky day! Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to let you send me all those toys listed above (at your expense) and I'll sort through them and search for those missing joe parts and send them back to you (at your expense). Finally I'm going to save you the cost of having everything else sent back and allow you to store them at my house for a really long time. :wink:

silentdusty

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • Crusty Ol' Master Warrant Officer
    • View Profile
    • Diowarriors
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:02:31 AM »

I actually have a shelf in my garage that has nothing but incomplete vehicles on it, my list is on here and I keep an eye on other sites, and when I can afford it, I buy a part here and there, and thanks to a some of guys on this site, I am close to, or have actually completed several sets/vehicles in my collection. There are still lots of vehicles on the shelf, but one by one, it is getting smaller. I enjoy it.
Silent Dusty