JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: September 16th: Second Annual Montreal Joe Meet!  (Read 13748 times)

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
September 16th: Second Annual Montreal Joe Meet!
« on: July 17, 2006, 06:20:32 PM »

Why should Hamilton have all the fun? Last year?s Montreal Joe Meet was a nice inauguration; I say it?s time to officially make the event annual.

The Second Annual Montreal Joe Meet
Saturday, September 16th, from noon until the lot of you want to leave, come join the most avid fans and casual collectors as we celebrate our shared joy for the 80s immortal toyline: GI Joe, A Real American Hero.

Last year saw a great deal of parts trades, some TCG tutorials, and a ton of friendly banter, but due to a technical error, was missing the premier of GI Joe Sigma Six, as planned. This year will feature all that (minus the technical errors or episodes of Sigma Six) and more! Like what?

How?s about:
-Dealer?s Tables!
-Speed Painting Contests!
-Something Else Really Cool!
-An Exclusive Figure!

That?s right, Montreal is stealing Hamilton?s thunder by offering our own exclusive figure! Registered attendees will receive a limited edition custom known (for copyright issues) as Canada Pride. Who this highly recognizable Montreal native is shouldn?t be any surprise to those that know their GI Joe filecards.

Because we?re a bunch of big kids, the Meet will take place in the Grande Salle (direct English translation: Big Room) at Notre Dame de Sion Elementary,  just five minutes from Cote Vertu metro, and four minutes from two different Tim Hortons!

Entry will be twenty dollars. This gets you admission to the con and as a free bonus, the Canada Pride exclusive figure, limited to only 20! It will also get you a baggy with a random head, chest, arms, waist, and legs to be used for the Speed Painting contests. Trading of these parts is allowed, but no painting or modification of these parts should happen until the official start of the painting contest. Fodder donations are accepted (all head and torsos should be ball joint friendly, thank you).

PM Scramble for more details, or to inquire about obtaining a dealer table.

When: Saturday, September 16th, 2006. Noon on.
Where: 1775 Boul. D?carie, St. Laurent, Qu?. H4L 3N5
Why: Because any Star Trek, Star Wars, and comic fan can walk into your local nerd shop and start up a conversation on the subject. When was the last time you said ?Hawk could lead circles around Duke? and weren?t met with blank stares? We need these meets. We need the Hamilton convention that Joe Canuck puts on, and the national conventions Master Collector gets us. We need to be able to say ?I don?t care how ludicrous my hobby is, I want to get together with like minded individuals and just talk?. And let me tell you something. Over the years I?ve met more and more of us and I?ve come to the conclusion that GI Joe people are my kind of people. We are cool, and funny, and many of us have strange and interesting jobs. And we are people that take care of our own.

Join me in Montreal September 16th. You?ll be taken care of.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:40:34 PM by Guest »
Updated!

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:29:41 PM »

Will paint and brushes be provided or do we have to bring our own?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 09:54:52 PM »

Oh yeah, I should add, I'll probably be a little late as my Japanese class ends at noon. But I'll go straight there (from Villa Maria metro) so I should be there before 1PM.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 12:09:41 AM »

The logistics of the Speed Painting Contest will be disclosed at a later date. Expect some paint and brushes to be provided, but you are encouraged to bring your own.
Updated!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:28:44 AM »

Using another man's brushes is like wearing another man's trousers. ;-)

It looks as though I will be there. I have some logistical issues to work out, but it looks like the family and I are hitting MO town for a long weekend, so barring any major complications, I will be attending.

-  :chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »

Quote from: ""Raptor""
Using another man's brushes is like wearing another man's trousers. ;-)

It looks as though I will be there. I have some logistical issues to work out, but it looks like the family and I are hitting MO town for a long weekend, so barring any major complications, I will be attending.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 09:59:37 PM »

Maybe Jay, but honestly I don't know.

I'm still working out plans for it, but I don't know if I'll get them decided or done in time for this, and more likely to affect the decision, I'm not sure if I want to bring it with me on the train.

As it was, there were only about 15 complete joes in the bin, with a lot of non-joe stuff, and a lot of parts and accessories. I'm working on that, but it'll take time.

I also have to figure out what I can and can't do with it because I'm not going to the meet as a vendor.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 10:41:17 PM »

Quite understandable.
I was half-joking anyway.

Madman

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:00:37 AM »

Thanks for the personal invite Scramble. I've been meaning to post here but just never got around to it. Everytime I was here, I kept thinking I'll do it next time since it's so far away. Then I realized it's a month away. You can count me in as well. It'll be cool to see some familiar faces.

Where are you guys? Redmao? Custo? Maple Viper? Kadarle? L'Ombrageux? Prince du Lu?

Scramble seems to be putting a lot of work into making the MTL joe con happen and to make it fun so let him know guys. It's only one day of the year.

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:03:19 PM »

I appreciate the plug Madman. Seeing only Raptor and Jin post, let's just say I know how Mike felt when he was worried no one was showing up for this past Joecanuck meet. In that case, it turned out to be the best ever.

A little news on the Montreal Joe Meet. A friend of mine by the name of Matt Stone (or just Stone, cause it's cooler, there are fewer Stones than there are Matts, and so he doesn't get confused with co-creator of South Park with the same name) works at a print shop and is in negotiations to set up a table. He's already printed some Cobra bumper stickers he'll be selling. Is there any particular logo you'd like printed? Post your requests here. I'm also going to talk to him about 1:18 sticker sheets for vehicles.
Updated!

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 08:44:11 PM »

I'll be there. I answered by pm to Scramble, but didn't post here yet, sorry 'bout that.

Even found some figures I'd like to give or trade  :thumbsup:
Say no to AFA.

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »

Quote from: ""Scramble""
I'm also going to talk to him about 1:18 sticker sheets for vehicles.

A whole lot of little cobra symbols would be a really nice product that would make me very poor.