JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Transformers classic  (Read 3128 times)

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Transformers classic
« on: December 12, 2006, 08:26:17 PM »

I recently got Optimus Prime and Starscream from the new Classic line and they are really cool. Great vehicule mode and in robot mode they are well articulated. Now those are neat action figures. We're far from the stiff robots from our youth but those will always hold a special place.... The size makes them compatible with the recent Prime and Megatron two pack.They are standing on my coffee table and I often surprise myself playing with them while I watch tv :)

Any TF fans should check em out.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Say no to AFA.

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers classic
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:06:40 AM »

I picked up StarScream and BumbleBee and now I am trying to find the other figs from the line.  They really are amazing - a little expensive but really make for great transformers.
I am hoping to pick up Rodimus soon.

The Target exclusive ThunderCrakcer and UltraMagnus look great - but it sucks as soon as I really start getting into a line, they make a set of figures I will not be able to pick up easily.  Stupid Hasbro!

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 09:17:25 AM »

Bumblebee and Astrotrain (Woo! Astrotrain!) are both on my list. Rodimus too, but not immediately.
Updated!

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 08:07:57 PM »

Bumblebee, Rodimus and Astrotrain are on the list too. I didn't know what to ask for the holidays, almost got my arm twisted because of that so I asked for those three.
Say no to AFA.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 10:58:18 PM »

Here's what I have to say.  (I'm an avid TF fan/collector and member of Seibertron.com) When I say 'Looks/Feels very much like [Character name]', I'm referring to their likeliness to their G1 alter-egos.  Before buying a figure, check out his gallery at Seibertron.com to get a better idea of what the toy is all about:

Wave I:
Optimus Prime - Excellent figure, terrific articulation.  Looks/Feels very G1 Prime, and two guns are cool.  No trailer, though.

Megatron - they basically gave the Nerf Maverick a crappy robot form and removed its firing power.  Doesn't even look like Megs, and the colours don't help.

Bumblebee - Great figure, really looks and feels like Bumblebee.  Too bad he doesn't have a gun.

Astrotrain - Neither vehicle mode is pulled off very well, and the robot suffers from bad articulation.  He should have been in the American colours.  Hasbro should have just made a Blitzwing figure instead.

Starscream - Jet mode really looks good, but the transformation is hard due to weak plastic and overly tight joints.  Null-rays are too big and hinder arm articulation.

Hot Rod (they call him 'Rodimus,' Hot Rod's upgraded form [Rodimus Prime], since they lost the trademark to 'Hot Rod') - Hands down the worst Classic so far.  Car mode isn't too bad, but the robot is terrible.  Weak plastic, very bad articulation and a weapon that they essentially just carried over from Energon don't help.

Ultimate Battle 2-Pack with DVD - Includes two figures, Optimus Prime and Megatron, different than the ones mentioned earlier, and a bonus DVD.  Prime looks awful.  Truck is a combination of G1, War Within, and a buttload of FAIL.  Plus his head is just nasty-looking.  At least his Tommy gun is remotely cool.  Megatron looks like G2 Megs on crack, but not in a good way.  Lame weapons, bad colours, and only having one had doesn't help.  The DVD is just a recap of the last few horrible Generations.  Yaaay.

Wave II:
Jetfire - Looks and feels very Jetfire in both modes, and accessories can be added/removed.  Very nice.

Mirage - Amazing articulation, very stable thanks to large feet, feels very much like Mirage.

Grimlock - Modeled after Pretender Grimlock.  I frankly don't like the design, nor his weapons.  Dino-head as feet fail.  He looks more like a fat raptor or a T-Rex with a shrunken head than G1 Grimlock.

Wave III:
Cliffjumper - Bumblebee repaint.  'Nuff said.  No notable remoulding/different accessories.

Ramjet - Severely remoulded Starscream.  Tough I'm sure he suffers from the same problems (weak plastic, tight joints).

Battle for Autobot City 2-Pack (Target Exclusive) - Includes Ultra Magnus (repaint of Optimus Prime) and Skywarp (repaint of Starscream).  I really don't like the whole 'Paint Optimus white and call him Magnus!' game.  Give him is armour, damn it!  But Skywarp looks great.  A lot of Transfans will get this pack just for Skywarp.  If Legends carries it, I'll grab it for sure!

There are other figures in the Classics line.  They aren't redesigned oldschool characters, they're just more toys to buy.
DVD-Not-Included Optimus Prime - They took the 20th Anniversary Prime, removed the silver and replaced it with flat gray, made his eyes flat, changed the amount of die-cast, put yellow on his head, coloured his gun blue, and gave him a crappy baseplate with sounds that are lines from The Movie, but are not taken from The Movie.  They not spoken by ANY of the 3 Optimus Prime actors (Cullen, Caplan, Chalk), nor by someone who can do a Prime impression.  Yeesh.

Mini-Cons - Much like the characters from Michael Bay's upcoming "Screw you Transformers fans!!11" movie, these Mini-Cons have nice alternate modes but their robot forms are just plain ugly.  Few of them even have hands.

Micro Series (aka Legends of Cybertron) - Bad repaints of sized-down figures from the Cybertron run.  They just slapped G1-esque (for the most part) colours onto them, gave them the name of a G1 (for the most part) character, and called them Classics.  FAIL.

This is only my opinion.  Buy what you want, make your own opinions, and make the Transfan within you happy!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 11:03:15 PM by SnakeEyesOnAPlane »
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »

They look ok but I can't bring myself to collect another TF line. Plus the Alternators line is the best line they have done so far.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 11:10:09 AM »

You're right Pete, Alternator is the best.
Say no to AFA.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »

I haven't been a fan of the Alternators since then changed from metal to all plastic.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »

Quote from: "Stealth Viper"
I haven't been a fan of the Alternators since then changed from metal to all plastic.
You're confusing two lines, the Japanese Binaltech and Hasbro's Alternators.  The Binaltechs had diecast, but the Alts never did.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 02:14:23 PM »

Strange. I have alternator hound

http://cyberstore.decepticon-matrix.com ... ib2_sm.jpg

And I swear he looks metal. I'll admit I haven't opened the box, however.

It just seems these new ones look more "plasticy"
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »

Quote from: "Stealth Viper"
Strange. I have alternator hound

http://cyberstore.decepticon-matrix.com ... ib2_sm.jpg

And I swear he looks metal. I'll admit I haven't opened the box, however.

It just seems these new ones look more "plasticy"
Yeah, they sure do look plasticy, no doubt about that.  I really like the kind of plastic they used for Hound, he looks like metal, but he really isn't.  Sorry if my TF-geekness burst your bubble... :-[