JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Renegades goes on hiatus in favor of the upcoming movie  (Read 5746 times)

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Renegades goes on hiatus in favor of the upcoming movie
« on: March 24, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=17051
Renegades goes on hiatus in favor of the second movie...
LAME!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Say no to AFA.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: Renegades goes on hiatus in favor of the upcoming movie
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »

As I said in the other thread, this is the cowardly way of saying it is canceled without saying it directly.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »

Quote from: "canprime"
As I said in the other thread, this is the cowardly way of saying it is canceled without saying it directly.

THIS^^^ 

The last hope to market the line to the masses and they blow out the candle before it is fully lit. 
Lurking

garling23

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
  • "If your not in it, your out of it" -Joey Ramone
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/chrismeadows
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »

that sucks!  I was really starting to change my mind about this show.  it just keeps getting better and better.  I have been waiting for ripcord to come back all this time!  maybe he is really dead!
Great Traders:

Pete the Greek
BHT
JIN

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »

Hmm, well, what this tells me is that when it comes to GI Joe, Hasbro can't get their poop together. Seriously, it's like they have A.D.D. or something. In the past couple years we've had Resolute, the movie, PoC, Renegades, and the 25th/30th anniversary stuff.

I think the problem is none of these has been a total home run. But at the same time, hasbro hasn't gotten 100% behind any of these. Well, maybe the movie they did, but it suffered from not being very good. Yes, it made enough money to warrant a sequel, but critically it was a flop.

If they really want to revive Joe in a serious and sustained way, they need to have learned something from each of these things and try and cobble something good and sustained together going forward. A really good well written and directed movie would go a long way in helping with that. This may be what they're thinking by cancelling.. ahem, putting renegades on hiatus. Joe doesn't seem to have the core audience transformers does, so perhaps they're regrouping for something more coordinated. Time will tell I guess.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »

It is NOT cancelled.

And I'll tell you why: Hasbro owns both the network the show is airing on, and the animation studio where the work is coming out of. They CAN place a property, in this case Renegades, on hiatus for a period of time and bring it back later because they call the shots in with production and distribution/broadcast.
If they were going to cancel it, they would just do it, and not blink twice about it either.

My SPECULATION now is that the movie ( re: Paramount) might have something up their sleeves with the sequel, and putting Renegades on hiatus can be a political/marketing move to better position the movie itself.

Now why to do that, what the specific reasons are, whether this is a GOOD or BAD thing.............I do not know. These kinds of things happens for a LOT of reasons the public is seldom privy to.
Best thing to do is to sit tight and not ring the doom-bell just yet.

As an aside; from my personal (currently professional) experience working on a unrelated HUB cartoon project-I can say that Hasbro has a tremendous amount of dollars and effort being invested into the HUB and all the shows therein. From the project I'm on, I can say that it certainly appears that Hasbro is NOT treating any of their shows trivially. They WILL be bringing GIJOE back.

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
It is NOT cancelled.
Not technically, but often "hiatus" is code for cancelled. But it does give them the option to bring it back if they so choose.
They WILL be bringing GIJOE back.
I would bet that GI Joe will be back on the HUB network, assuming it survives that long, but it may be in a different form. I would also bet that "REnegades" as we know it may never be back.

I'm not spewing doom and gloom, I'm just speculating.

Personally, I hope a new Joe cartoon comes back with better character designs and a few other improvements. But that's just me. :) I know a lot of folks are really liking renegades, and even if it is just a hiatus, it's a bummer for them.

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »

Darn. Really liked it.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 09:39:52 PM »

Quote from: "darth cujo"
It is NOT cancelled.
Not technically, but often "hiatus" is code for cancelled. But it does give them the option to bring it back if they so choose.

THIS^^^

CTV did not cancel Canadian Idol but it has been on "Hiatus" for 3 years+ and still has no plans for it.  If a show is not being produced, it is dead.  
Lurking

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »

This is somwhat similar to Resolute and Rise of Cobra.  With Rise of Cobra going into production, Resolute was rushed out and was shorter then intended...
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Editor

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.animeevolution.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:52 AM »

Hiatus... Canceled... Whatever

Renegades has really done better than I thought when I first saw art for it, and most of the episodes have been enjoyable. I think if the toys do well once they get released it should be fine, and even if Hasbro is hedging it's bets, the odds for seeing more of Renegades is higher than people still hoping Hasbro finds a way to go back to the canceled 4th season of TF Animated.
Convention Chairman: Anime Evolution 2010
August 13–15 2010, UBC-Vancouver, British Columbia

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:08 AM »

Going by what ARROW said...

I heard back long ago (sorry I do not rememeber the source) that they were going to change the name of Renegades after they were done with the A-Team story line.  They will not be renegades then... It is possible that Hasbro, instread of renaming the show they are just going with a new production name? 

Time Will Tell...
Lurking