JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Bubble wrap vs vehicles...  (Read 1951 times)

Propergrounds

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Bubble wrap vs vehicles...
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:11:50 AM »

I recently decided to store most of my joe vehicles as I am having space issues... I have none.
they are all going into rubbermaid bins, into my storage closet.
I bubble wrapped everything neatly so nothing gets broken.
Anybody know if the bubble wrap will yellow or fade the vehicles?
I did not wrap any white vehicles just in case.
Thanks for any tips!
Jay

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Bubble wrap vs vehicles...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:08:17 AM »

I use Ziploc bags for my vehicles and just pray they do not break.
Lurking

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »

mine are either in plastic store boxes or (in the case of the jets, Dragonfly, HAVOC and Persuader) in bin bags on top of my dad's wardrobe.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »

Maybe you already thought about this, but it's always good advice for anyone who decides to store away:

The first worst enemy anyone should worry about when storing is the dead load or even live load the container could receive, particularly when you stack one bin on top of eachother. My best advice to avoid damage resulting from bin stacking is not to fill up your bin all the way to the top, because the lid can deform under the weight of another bin or box sitting on it. I make sure nothing touches the underside of the cover when I close it. I recommend leaving 1 inch iminimum clearance. I know a friend who took just as much care to bubblewrap everything and he filled up his bins to the max. He got bad surprises once he moved into his new place. Many parts gave way under too much pressure.

Bubble wrap may protect your vehicles from getting surface contact. All my vehicles are stored in bin bags and that has done the job to this day. For vehicles that have a clear canopy, I use bubblewrap only around the cockpit.

I've never heard of yellowing due to yellowing...but your concerns seem to be genuine since acidity from certain plastics are linked to causing plastic yellowing.
2 + 2 = 22

Propergrounds

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:56:52 PM »

Thanks guys...
all my small vehicles and playsets are in bags.
all my big stuff is bubble wrapped.
and i did not fill the bin to the max...only about 3/4 full. As i have about a dozen bins stacked high in a small closet storage area.
Just my favorite vehicles are on display, along with all my figs which now number over 1200!