JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Non-Joe Review - Halo Reach Warthog  (Read 4308 times)

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Non-Joe Review - Halo Reach Warthog
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »

My first of hopefully many to come reviews! (for some action shots go here http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/inde ... pic=4949.0)

There has been many questions amongst Joe fans if the Halo Reach Warthog is compatible with GI Joe 3 3/4.  So I will be doing a review and hopefully you can judge for yourselves.

Scale (doing this first because I know this is mainly what Joe fans want to see)

The Scale of this Vehicle is officially the Halo Reach Scale who's figures are roughly 5-6 inches depending on character (Grunts are even smaller).  Halo 3 figures in comparison are shrunk about an 1 - 1/2 inch from Halo Reach.  GI joes of course, are 3 3/4 - 4 inches.  This pic shows the comparisons.  Keep in mind that as the figures get smaller so do the thickness/bulkiness of their body parts as well.  The figures from left to right are GI Joe Alley Viper, Halo Reach light Army Trooper, Halo 3 Master Chief, GI Joe Alley Viper, Halo Reach Noble 6 and Heavy Army Trooper.

Here are pics of each type of figure in the vehicle.

Halo Reach:

Halo 3:

GI Joe:

I want everyone to decide for themselves whether these are compatible with Halo Reach, Halo 3 and/or GI Joe.
But my personal opinion is that the proper Scale is somewhere in between Halo Reach and Halo 3.  

Halo Reach figures seem a tad too big for the seat and turret, for example Noble 6's head sticks out of the cockpit while sitting down instead of inline with the windshield, as well the Trooper can't even hold the Turret properly and just towers over it.  

Halo 3 Fits the best, they sit properly in the cockpit areas and can wield the turret properly with the shoulder stocks lining up properly with the figure.

GI Joe just seem way out of scale to me.  They do not fit the turret at all (note from the picture the shoulder stocks go to the figures face), and are tiny in the cockpit.  You might be able to customize it to fit better in the Joe universe, but removing the turret and modifying the back to be a troop carrier or put some other turret from another vehicle in.  And maybe put in smaller seats for the cockpits.  It can be made work but as is, I just think Joes look way too small in it.  

But again judge for yourselves!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:31:27 PM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Joe Review - Halo Reach Warthog
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

Sculpt and Features

The Sculpt is amazing, nicely detailed from the body of the vehicle to the hubcaps.  The Hog itself is huge, and dwarfs current GI Joe vehicles.  It is very faithful to the game and looks fantastic.  The body of the vehicle is clean and the decals are crisp and clear.  The wheels have a weathered look to them.
In terms of moving parts the wheels spin (no turning), the steering wheel turns, and the turret rotates and the angle of fire can be adjusted by a joint near the base of the turret, though having the figure adjust with it is very difficult and some angles make it impossible for the figure to properly hold the weapon.  The turret is also removable, probably because they plan on making the rail-gun and missile turrets available in the future.  There is a winch on the front of the hog, but it has no articulation which seems to be a sore spot for many collectors.  There is also a flexible antenna at the rear of the vehicle and can bend generously without breaking.  Inside the cockpit there are some nicely sculpted seats and medi-packs which is a nice touch from the games.  

Here are different angles of the Hog.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:26:36 PM by NeoDragonKnight »
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

Im don't like to give numbers to my reviews because I like to let the reader decide for themselves.  So I will just list the good and the bad.

The Good
-Fantastic sculpt
-Clear paint aps and detail
-Amazing size
-Removable Turret for future configurations
-accurate to the videogames
-generally fits both Halo Reach and Halo 3 figures

The not so good
-The scale while fits both Halo Reach and Halo 3 doesn't really fit either perfectly, the reach figures are slightly too big and the Halo 3 are slightly too small (though seems to fit the best)
-Wheels do not traverse side to side to turn
-A minor gripe to some (not me personally)  The Winch is merely a sculpted detail and doesn't work.

I personally love the Hog particularly because its in scale, its a great vehicle for your Halo figures and you can set up some amazing shots with it!  Its about time we had some Halo vehicles!

For some action pics go here!
http://www.joecanuck.com/joe/board/inde ... pic=4949.0
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:35:18 PM by NeoDragonKnight »

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »

Nice Review!  Hope to read more!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »

Very nice review Neo.. that would be cool to see a 3 3/4 Halo line  :'(

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »

Thanks guys, its actually pretty fun.

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »

I don't like the new VAMP we are getting, but that jeep looks good. It's just too big  :'(

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:09:44 PM »

how does the sigma 6 joes work in it?
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »

I saw it today for the first time and man that thing is huge.. but I think it's way too small for those S6 figures!

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »

Good review, just saw these in a TRU and thought it was too bad they're not 3 3/4" compatible.  A great looking design and well done toy it seems, even the insides and bottom are well sculpted!
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030