JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Target buying Zellers leasehold interests  (Read 12263 times)

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
Re: Target buying Zellers leasehold interests
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »

Glad to hear it, but it sounds like it will be 2 years before anything opens.

As for Zellers, I think their time was up a while ago.  I never shop their anymore
except for toys, and even then it is hit or miss with what I call TRU syndrome fro
 A few years ago.  That is holding on to product for 3-4 years just to have stuff on the shelf.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I miss Towers, but I live in a area that has no Zellers around me.  I have 4 Walmarts, no Zellers.  

This is of the reasons why I miss living in Oshawa.  There are four Zellers within 15 driving minutes and another one in Whitby.  The closest one takes 15 minutes to get to from were we live (I think Warden and Finch is the closest one followed by the one at Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill).  

At least with Target moving to Canada, there has to be an area in Markham for them to set up shop.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:41:20 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »

Quote from: "canprime"
and even then it is hit or miss with what I call TRU syndrome fro A few years ago.  That is holding on to product for 3-4 years just to have stuff on the shelf.

At least you get a chance to find some older stuff you may have passed up on.  I am currently in that boat by passing up some McFarlane old timer Maple Leaf figures.  At least I have chance to go back and buy them.  With Wal-Mart, forget about it, with their wham, bam, thank you ma'am, your lucky if we re-stock it ever again attitude.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:14:52 PM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 11:56:14 AM »

I hope so...
Lurking

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »

Zellers was just crushed under WM and mismanagement.  Just another store that I have some fond memories of.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »

Hopefully we will be able to get the Target Exclusives at normal prices (not double $$)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »

Don't hold your breath for a deal or realistic price on the Target exclusives.... Black SNAKE anyone?

That wave was high to begin with, and hasn't gone on clearance. It's been over a year... or longer...

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"
Don't hold your breath for a deal or realistic price on the Target exclusives.... Black SNAKE anyone?

That wave was high to begin with, and hasn't gone on clearance. It's been over a year... or longer...

I really don't know what they're waiting for.. man, I saw a hundred of those in a single Zellers recently! 20 pegs of that stuff.. and a lot of black snakes were available!

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike™"

Agreed. We don't get the Walmart Exclusives (when we get them) as cheap as they do in the US, so I seriously doubt Target would be any better.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 02:55:17 PM »

If Target properly manages the stores they take over, I think it will ultimately be a good thing over the long term.

Zellers stores often look like a hurricane hit them, the toy departments are typically the worst of all. I have found Target stores to be well laid out, and almost always very clean and presentable.
In most of my visits to the Target chain, I have purchased something ( almost always toys) so their selection and stocks on hand have been just great for me.

But those are stateside, and the Canadian versions of these stores can well be a different animal.
In the short term ( first 5 years), I suspect this could benefit Cdn consumers because you can just bet Walmart will react to their presence here. I would expect competitive ....nay, aggressive pricing on a lot of goods.......toys being one category of them.

Here's the thing though.......if Target runs and stocks these stores just like Zellers did, with the same goods.......and not the way Target handles brands stateside--then these stores will be kaput by 2020, at the latest. If all they offer is more of the same, then Walmart will beat these guys clean.
If they give the , ahem..........for lack of a better phrase, "Target experience" to us up here, then they might just stand apart enough from places like Walmart to build their own brand and succeed. ( I have always found Target Stores to be very different to shop in, they are distinctly different from other chains, I find.)

As far as us toy collectors go......honestly, I don't see Target offering much beyond the major brands anyway--stuff that we can get in just about any store. Exclusives.........I think are a pipe dream, unless Target decides to handle products in both Canada and the USA under the same veil.
Obviously chains like TRU and Walmart still treat their stores in separate countries as if they are practically completely separate chains only sharing the same name. Its still hit-and-miss as to what we get.

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
If Target properly manages the stores they take over, I think it will ultimately be a good thing over the long term.

Zellers stores often look like a hurricane hit them, the toy departments are typically the worst of all. I have found Target stores to be well laid out, and almost always very clean and presentable.
In most of my visits to the Target chain, I have purchased something ( almost always toys) so their selection and stocks on hand have been just great for me.

But those are stateside, and the Canadian versions of these stores can well be a different animal.
In the short term ( first 5 years), I suspect this could benefit Cdn consumers because you can just bet Walmart will react to their presence here. I would expect competitive ....nay, aggressive pricing on a lot of goods.......toys being one category of them.

Here's the thing though.......if Target runs and stocks these stores just like Zellers did, with the same goods.......and not the way Target handles brands stateside--then these stores will be kaput by 2020, at the latest. If all they offer is more of the same, then Walmart will beat these guys clean.
If they give the , ahem..........for lack of a better phrase, "Target experience" to us up here, then they might just stand apart enough from places like Walmart to build their own brand and succeed. ( I have always found Target Stores to be very different to shop in, they are distinctly different from other chains, I find.)

As far as us toy collectors go......honestly, I don't see Target offering much beyond the major brands anyway--stuff that we can get in just about any store. Exclusives.........I think are a pipe dream, unless Target decides to handle products in both Canada and the USA under the same veil.
Obviously chains like TRU and Walmart still treat their stores in separate countries as if they are practically completely separate chains only sharing the same name. Its still hit-and-miss as to what we get.

well said, it will be intresting to see if they handle it in the same maner as the states.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

You never know.  As part of the aggressive competition that will definitely occur in the first few years, items such as exclusives will probably play a part, moreso than currently, as each store looks for any perceived advantage.