JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Target buying Zellers leasehold interests  (Read 12276 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: Target buying Zellers leasehold interests
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 03:23:21 PM »

Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
Centre Mall, Hamilton
South Hamilton Square, Hamilton

1. I don't know where South Hamilton Square is?.... And I've lived here all my life.
2. WTF!?! They're swapping the Zellers at Centre Mall into a Target?... They just spent close to year building that Zellers!? Lame.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »

Bridlewood Mall, Scarborough

This Zellers should be condmend and is half the size of the other Zellers and they are converting it to Target?
Lurking

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 05:07:05 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mikeā„¢"
Quote from: "Pete The Greek"
Centre Mall, Hamilton
South Hamilton Square, Hamilton

1. I don't know where South Hamilton Square is?.... And I've lived here all my life.

1576 Upper James Street, Hamilton
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 05:11:54 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Bridlewood Mall, Scarborough

This Zellers should be condmend and is half the size of the other Zellers and they are converting it to Target?

Agreed.  This is a shit hole.  But I assume Target wants a strong presence in the Toronto area.  I think Oshawa has more Zellers stores than Toronto.

I know that Target has asked the property management for one of the Quebec malls listed to take over at least three commercial retail stores for expansion purposes.   Maybe this is the case at Bridlewood.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:30 AM »

The news up in my neck of the woods says the Orillia Zellers is going to become a Target.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »

Well.........

I've been hearing snippets --from secondhand sources and TV/Radio here-that have me frowning.

The rumours being that these new Target stores will retain their management from the Zellers incarnations.

IMO, that will be a big mistake---at least for our local store--I don't know about other Zellers specifically enough to say if its good or bad for them.
My step-son worked for Zellers over Christmas..........and the management there treated him like utter shit.
He didn't quit there, and he wasn't actually even fired or "let go"..........they just stopped give him hours. They started him out working full-time, then down to three days, and  then ONE day...............and then one DAY every TWO weeks...........and then he wasn't on the schedule. No-one told him this. He waits, calls them up daily......and no-one has an answer, or will not return his call. Then they stopped taking his call.
The local labour board was quite intrigued by that.
His work status was in limbo for about 2 months and then finally with the Labour Board interceding on his behalf asking if they had him still on hire ( they did not answer), Zellers sent him an ROE.
That was his notice of dismissal. My step-son is a good kid, hard-worker and responsible, he did nothing to deserve that kind of treatment.
And the Labour Board rep said that was Zellers' standard practice--and it royally screws their workers. Since UI payments are often based on the last couple of weeks of income, having no hours in that key period puts the screws to a worker who applies for UI.

Well, we were just appalled. THAT is the kind of management that will eventually represent the Target store here in town. The store in question is......small. The Target style of layout will certainly not carry the amount of stock this store currently carries, and not without considerable renovating and rebuilding the store. The place is cluttered, not very well kept up, and the staff...............well, you've just read how some are treated. The store was not one we shopped at often before.....and we have no interest in patronizing them from now on.

I'm VERY leery of Target coming here now, because it seems to me that they are really just brining in a name swap, for the most part, and little else will change. I have to ask: what's the point?

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »

Talked to a few people I know who work for Zellers.

Zellers employees will have to re-apply for their jobs with Target. That means they will lose current seniority and benefits.

That is pretty crappy. Granted there are some bad people working at Zellers (or any other company for that matter) but there are also some really good ones. Ones who have put 20+ years into the company and will now be reset back to 0 if they want to keep their jobs.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
I'm VERY leery of Target coming here now, because it seems to me that they are really just brining in a name swap, for the most part, and little else will change. I have to ask: what's the point?

The point is the sales $$$ will go in their pocket instead of HBCs. It also gives them a presence in Canada, so they can open Super Targets (new stores) where ever they like.

See, the taking over of some Zellers stores is only their foot in the door into Canada and is a means to an end. That end is building their empire here, much like they've done in the US.

An out of country company can't just walk into Canada and set up shop. They have to go through very expensive processes applying for permits, etc,etc - much like someone wanting to immigrate to Canada (only for businesses it is far more difficult) - and there's far more red tape. Takes DECADES to happen, IF it even gets approved.

The loophole is that if they acquire all of (or controlling interest in) an existing Canadian company - that gives them an already established precense in the country and therefore are good to go. Much like how someone from out of country marrying a Canadian will quickly make them (and their children) into Canadian citizens.

This is also how we ended up with Walmart. They bought Woolco, which was their gateway in to Canada. Target is doing the exact same thing.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »

Quote from: "Stealth Viper"
That is pretty crappy. Granted there are some bad people working at Zellers (or any other company for that matter) but there are also some really good ones. Ones who have put 20+ years into the company and will now be reset back to 0 if they want to keep their jobs.

If that is the case, the only good news is that they will be seeing a severance check - inluding years of service.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.