JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: I'm done hunting foe 25th, here is why...  (Read 4245 times)

FastFord58

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
I'm done hunting foe 25th, here is why...
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:40:02 PM »

I'll use wave 2/08 as an example since I just received it.

Store bought (If I could find them).

7.99 + 1.11 tax X 8 figs in the wave = 72.80 CAD

From BBTS.com

48 + 16 shipping + 11 customs fees = 75 US = 73.56 CAD (current exchange)

A difference of a whopping  +.76.

I have to be honest, between my family and work I just don't have time for the hunt anymore. I still check stores for army builders but that is about it. I'm sick of one wave of 8 figs showing up once a month in the stores and then having to try to beat scalpers to the figs.

Now these number are indicative of shipping to Southern Ontario, so your mileage may vary with shipping and brokerage. If you are in the right place, I think it is a decent alternative to the hunt.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Re: I'm done hunting foe 25th, here is why...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »

I don't. What's the fun in just buying a toy. Half the enjoyment of these figures is walking into a store and seeing them on a shelf again. When I came across wave5 this week, I seriously felt like running to my mom to ask her to by one for me!

Assuming "Scalpers" are buying them is just lame by the way. I've gone to nearly EVERY toy show in Southern Ontario in the last year. If these people are buying the figures and selling them at the toy shows or ebay - I'm missing it. Because here in Canada, there's not many listed on ebay, and at the shows - no one has them, and if they do, the prices are comparable to TRU prices. Hardly "Scalping" in my opinion. ;-)

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »

I agree about the scalpers thing.  I am just not seeing it, I think the real problem is the stores didn't order enough - maybe they were just testing the water.
It really is a no win situation for toy retailers (WalMart/TRU/Zellers)  The buyers of these large stores are not in touch with what toys will sell and what won't - probably because they have to place their order many many months in advance.  I also have a problem with the logic of large toy retailers for example:

Hulk movie figures - they sucked, stores bought them in huge quantities (they are still on some shelves),  they don't sell, stores don't order more.  Hulk Classic line comes out - amazing figures comic accurate figures, I try to find them but can only get 1 or 2 at specialty retailers, but can't.  Wave 2 barely gets released in the states, and ToyBiz doesn't even bother sending them to Canada because we never had enough interest in Wave 1, and the damn movie figures are still sitting on shelves 2 years later at full price.

Same thing happens with the Fantastic Four Movie Figures/Fantastic Four Classics/Marvel Legends Fantastic Four, and the X-Men Toy Biz Movie and Classics line.

What really drove me bonkers was the Hulk Smashing/Noise making large green fists - they didn't sell well, and most of the stores had them ripped out of the packaging - the same stores wait 1 year, then make the same stupid ass mistake... only this time they are the THING smashing fists - WTF?  Same problem, only this time they also order Slip-on Large Foam Feet as well.   This is where it gets stupid - I saw the same large Hulk fists in the New York 2008 toy fair photos...Here is my PREDICTION - Canadian retail will order these and they will get damaged and not sell.

To bring this back on topic - I think they only ordered 1 case of Joes per store, and they sold out!  Bad for the collector as they were impossible to find, even with the crappy cards - Bad for the stores, for the same reason you mentioned, collectors will simply find it easier to order from the States.  The next go around - will stores order to many?  Will they clog the pegs so that wave after wave will be skpped and Canadian collectors will miss out on them? Causing Canadian collectors to buy from the states only perpetuating the problem?

Anyway - I collect I think partially for the nostalgia, but mostly I love the hunt!  I could buy the figures I am missing from the states via eBay, but it is not nearly as much fun.  What I really enjoy is finding a small Toy Retailer and giving them my business - the money and my hobby stay in Canada.  Not to long ago, there was this store that offered exactly what I am talking about, and the guy that ran it, was a really great guy who also loved Toys and the Hobby as much as me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:55:18 PM by akpayne »

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »

You forgot about factoring in the cost of gas  :shifty:

And on my end...thrill of the hunt my ass.  It took me at least 40 trips to various Wal-Marts and Zellers to get one complete set of the last wave.  I wouldn't have done it provided if the packaging wasn't different.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 10:05:57 AM by Pete The Greek »
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:06:53 AM »

Smalljoes.com is the easiest way to keep on top of things. if you don't mind buying the full case (and I don't) then it's the best deal going. It's cheaper then buying them locally and takes about 1 1/2 weeks to show up. This is my last order from them:

Code             Name                                              Quan  Price    Total
----------------  ------------------------------------------------  ----  -------  -------
GI25A-WV208C      GI JOE 25th Anniv. wave 2 2008 case / set of eig  1     $47.99   $47.99

Merchandise total:  $47.99
Shipping and handling:  $12.14
Grand total:   $60.13

Keep in mind the dollar is pretty much par. The difference is only pennies right now and I don't get hit with crazzy duty taxes. That's about $7.50 a figure.

Mind you, I'm with Pete on the Canadian cards. I still want a set of the Canadian cards and now with there being possibly being 3 different card styles for the next few waves things are going to be expensive.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »

The problem is also how the toys are put into computers.

For example, 3.75" 25th Joes have one SKU. Regardless of the wave. So if there are some "clunker" figures in a wave, and that's the wave the store gets a few cases of - they'll sit on the pegs, and the store won't order more because according to their system, the SKU still has lots of stock.
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

If I gotta have a figure, I order it online. I don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

Not that I don't mind walking into a toy store. When I was working above a TRU I was in there every day to look around. I got everything I wanted and more. Now that I'm working elsewhere (across the street from the Silver Snail ;) ) I don't hit up the stores very much.

But I imagine life is much more difficult when you're a completist.

I dunno... I have more money than time these days and can't be bothered to run around looking for toys I can just order online.

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 03:49:26 PM »

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt too, but at least in Western Canada if you do not live in a major centre it feels more like getting skunked.  My local store either didn't get a case or the whole case sold in 8 hours or less.  I have a small commando squad supporting my habit.  Of the single cards I have only found 1 for my son and 1 for me in Walmart Edmonton.  Personally found a couple of comic packs in Edmonton and a friend tracked another single card item in another town on a family hockey road trip.  There is definitely more demand than supply.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »

I love trying to get the new stuff and I look forward to hunting down the 25th anniversary figs. I just wish there were a few more out there or at least the stores should restock the shelves on a consistent basis, instead of once a month or something like that. Also less corps more joes. Having said that I'm off next week to Grand Forks for a basketball tournament/ joe hunting. Wish me luck.

Beamer3131

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:04 AM »

Lucky for me, I live near Buffalo and have made a few treks across the river lately and have been very lucky.

I went over on Saturday and again on Monday.  Went to Hamburg (TRU, Target, Walmart and KB Toys all within 5 min) and snagged up a whack of 25th ann. figures.  Even managed to grab the elusive Cobra 5 pack (first one). 

Monday headed north to Niag. Balls Blvd to Target and Walmart.  Managed to snag a new battle armor CC among others.

I'll probably plan another trip over sometime soon...too bad it's so tough to get them here.  I did find a few at the St Catharines TRU, but not big on the packaging anyways.

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »

Border shopping does seem popular.  I would have about 7 hours to drive to the nearest American city therefore Canada post gets more action from me.  I don't think our nearest American cities have quite the store density that you are describing.

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 07:49:03 AM »

For anyone in Toronto, Silver Snail and 401 Games consistently get this stuff in. They're more expensive, but the shipping is free. ;)