JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Heads up for Canadian Ebay sellers  (Read 4129 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Heads up for Canadian Ebay sellers
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

Revenue Canada is cracking down on Ebay sellers.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/Feds+plan ... story.html

Long and the short of it is that if you have been a steady, extensive seller of goods via ebay, but have not been declaring the income, then Rev Can will probably be contacting you.
Their mandate is clearly stated, as are the tax laws on this, and if the income is not declared voluntarily, they've got ya.

But, there is a bright side to this:

If you have been selling on Ebay, and taken in income--even if you have NOT made a profit--your efforts still constitute a business.
Therefor you can write off expenses as business deductions, for income tax purposes.
That would mean that everything from your internet service fees, to your computer costs to the costs of your own toy collection and collecting can be construed as a needed business expense.
If you are audited under these circumstances, but have the receipts for these kinds of things handy anyway, you could stand to pay nothing, or perhaps even gain a refund.
If unsure of where you stand, contact an accountant, or Rev Can themselves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
Re: Heads up for Canadian Ebay sellers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:32:54 PM »

I think you'd have needed to make a lot, though, before you have to pay taxes.  (I think) Something like $10,000 a year.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
I think you'd have needed to make a lot, though, before you have to pay taxes.  (I think) Something like $10,000 a year.

If the seller is selling on ebay, alongside their regular job, the sales will count in addition to their regular income. If they breach the minimum personal exemption, which is about $8000 or so, then all their sale will count.
But the flip-side is that if they don't make as much as the exemption threshold, and declare anyways, they STILL get the deductions which will affect their entire income ( not just their hobby income), which can actually count for a refund of sorts, or a carryover for future years.

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:20 AM »

So, all I would have to do is sell one toy and I could write off all of my other expenses (i.e. purchases)?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:48:11 AM »

Quote from: "pdaat"
So, all I would have to do is sell one toy and I could write off all of my other expenses (i.e. purchases)?

Believe it or not...........YES!
Revenue Canada's own literature states......"that any endeavour with a reasonable expectation of profit can be considered to be a business.". Get a Rev Can business tax guide and read the opening pages. The info there is, for all intents and purposes, the law and tax code as they operate by.
Revenue Canada does NOT specifically define what "a reasonable expectation of profit" is though, so one can actually incur a loss.
If you show a pattern of conduct that shows you are at least TRYING to gain a profit, that satisfies the requirement, and entitles you to deduct business expenses.
Heck, they do not even define a business in an specific way, other than the general terms of someone creating a product for sale or providing a service.
Both parts of this have such wide interpretation and context that, yes......you can legally do just what you described above.

If you can show, within reason, that the items you buy apply in some way to your business, then those items become legit deductible expense--because they further your business.
For example: because I'm a cartoonist, I sometimes legitimately use my action figures as life-drawing models--to pose out actions for characters drawn on paper.
That simple use means they serve a function in my work, and I can then write the cost of them off as a business.
Since there is no official definition or interpretation of how I do my work, my reasons stand.

Someone selling items on Ebay could claim the toys they buy and write off are "sales samples" used to check the quality of good prior to offering them for auction. Since they might offer only a select kind of goods ( pose-able action figures), they have  need to describe those toys specifically and fully to their clients. That can only be done by purchasing them to see firsthand.
Revenue Canada says little about usage of business expense items--mostly because such usage covers a extremely wide definition. So, you might only "use" the item you buy one-time, or use it constantly......but you gain the deduction for it either way, subject to whatever limits MIGHT be imposed.

An accountant can supply you with more detailed info on this, and consulting same would probably be a smart idea, because doing so only once would gain you info that can apply for years down the road. I have personally written off tens of thousands of dollars worth of my collection over the past 20 years at least, and done so legally and without question.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:59:44 AM by ARROW »

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:32:16 AM »

But you'd have to register a business first though, right?  I mean, you'd need to, to be able to claim business expenses?

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:08 PM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
But you'd have to register a business first though, right?  I mean, you'd need to, to be able to claim business expenses?

Nope.
Sole proprietorships do not need to be registered or incorporated. The only thing you might need to do is register to collect GST if your sales exceed about $30,000 per year. You can register voluntarily before you reach that threshold, but there's really no need. You can still deduct the cost of GST/PST along with the purchase price even if you are not registered.

Here's some info on sole proprietorships:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/sm/sttng/sl-eng.html

Of note:
It is easy to set up a sole proprietorship. Simply operate as an individual or as a registered, unincorporated business. If you operate as an individual, just bill your customers or clients in your own name. If you operate under a registered business name, bill your clients and customers in the business's name. If your business has a name other than your own, you'll need a separate bank account to process cheques payable to your business.

So you do not have to register your business in any other way, but you CAN do so if you you a name other than your own.
For example: I call my company Ken Davis Cartoons, in which I provide cartooning services to animation studios. I do not have to register that company because it uses my name, though I am registered for the GST.

Here's the main page for the above link, and has the definitions above:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/sm/st ... u-eng.html

Note this:

For income tax purposes, a business is an activity that you intend to carry on for profit and there is evidence to support that intention.  A business includes:

* a profession;
    * a calling;
    * a trade;
    * a manufacture;
    * an undertaking of any kind; and
    * an adventure or concern in the nature of trade (for more details, see Adventure or Concern in the Nature of Trade).

haggis

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 08:45:23 PM »

Thanks for the info. guys.  I was a bit concerned about this even though I don't do much selling on ebay.  Thanks for the tips!

Hammer Viper

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »

Wow, I wish I knew this 10 years ago. 

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:13 PM »

Thanks for the insight, ARROW!

About write-offs:  I'm starting up some self-publishing work from home, but I never registered as a business...  do I need to in order to write-off software and stuff I'd need to do my work?  I probably won't be making money - at least, not much and not right away - but does that make a difference?

(Sorry to kind of stray the thread off-topic.  I'll be done, now  :P )

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:08 AM »

You've given me a TON of great info!  thanks!

Pretty huge help - I've been working on a business plan, but the only big thing stopping me from implementing it is the cost of the start-up.  So, it's good to know I'm a little bit covered, come tax-time.  A high school buddy of mine studied accounting in college, so I might ask him on a few finer points. 

Again, thank for all the info!  And sorry for hijacking the thread.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »

hmmm..... do you recommend to see a business lawyer as well? I'm sure there might be some provincial laws that may apply.