JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Vintage Review - VAMP(s)  (Read 7741 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Vintage Review - VAMP(s)
« on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:15 PM »

What do you think of when you think of GI Joe vehicles?  For planes, I think of the SkyStriker.  For choppers, I think of the Tomahawk.  For tanks, I think of the Mauler.  And for speedy, just-the-right-size, go-anywhere vehicles, I think of the VAMP (and its many variations).  I’m going to review the VAMP, its variants (the VAMP Mk II, Cobra Stinger, Tiger Sting, the later TRU exclusive VAMPs, and the 25th VAMP/Stinger) and point out the differences between them.  Unfortunately, I’m missing the 2001 TRU Desert Striker (it’s on my want list) so I won’t be reviewing it…but it is actually a heavily reworked VAMP, and shares its rollcage with the 2004 TRU VAMP.

VAMP’s acronym is perfectly fitting, and gives it a name that is easily recognizable.  There have been a few other utility vehicles whose Army names have become iconic…think the HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) better known as the Humvee, and the Ford Model GPW, also known as the Jeep.  Well the VAMP is a Vehicle, Attack, Multi-Purpose, and no acronym fits a vehicle better.  The VAMP is small enough to go just about anywhere, appears to have all the off-road prowess of a Jeep or Hummer, and can be set up as anything from a fast-attack vehicle armed with a laser gun on a turret to a fast, mobile SAM platform, as you shall see.

The original ’82 VAMP consisted of a green body and wheels with black chassis and interior.  The front of the vehicle features a winch on the front bumper and molded-into-the-hood machine gun, positioned directly in front of the driver.  This arrangement makes it easy for the driver to aim the weapon.  Moving rearward, the VAMP features an open, two-person cockpit.  The occupants are protected only by a rollcage, no doors or roof to see here.  Behind and above the occupants in the center of the vehicle’s rear deck is a turret.  This turret features a black, double-barreled laser blaster/machine gun.  The gun can traverse 360 degrees and elevate and depress.  The rear of the VAMP features a rack that holds two removable gas cans and the standard GI Joe hitch. 

The ’84 Mark II VAMP changed its colors from green to brown, with off-white wheels.  The main differences between it and the original VAMP are a small bumper guard with off-road lights on top in front of the winch, a molded-in shovel on the top of the passenger side fender, the deletion of the coax machine gun, the addition of a cargo pack in the machine gun’s place, “canvas” doors that opened like regular doors, and a “canvas” roof with a “folded back” opening so the driver could look at the sky.  For armament, the Mark II features a four-missile box turret instead of a double-barreled cannon.  The rear of the Mark II also features two gas cans, but they attach directly to the vehicle instead of being held in a rack, and they feature posts that allow them to be plugged into backpack holes on vintage ARAH figures.  The Mark II VAMP looks well suited to desert duty…besides the brown color scheme and scorpion logo on the side, those large rear canisters are labeled as “water” instead of fuel.

The ’84 Cobra Stinger 4WD makes the VAMP bad in black and gray.  Key differences here are a different front bumper, a large canister where the Mark II’s cargo pack is, a solid roof, doors that open “gullwing” style, a rear turret featuring four very large missiles, a slightly different rear deck design, and a troop-carrying platform with a grab bar on the back instead of gas cans.  The biggest difference, the troop platform, is kind of questionable…because any Cobras standing on back of the Stinger are going to get a face full of missile exhaust if the driver decides to fire his weapons!  This exact same mold was used to create the ’98 TRU exclusive Rattler 4WD, which featured a dark blue and white camo scheme.

The 1989 Tiger Sting features a parts combination.  It combines the original VAMP’s body (with machine gun on the hood and rear gas can rack) with the Mark II’s push bar with off road lights, roof, doors, and missile box turret.  This vehicle is of course painted in the Tiger Force scheme, featuring a white, tan, and yellow-with-black-stripes body with red missiles. 

The 2004 TRU-exclusive VAMP (which came packaged with a Whirlwind Battle Gun) is molded in dark green with silver wheels.  It’s another open-cockpit vehicle, returning the VAMP to its roots.  The main differences here are a new, raisable hood that extends over the old VAMP’s hood and partially covers the winch (the original hood can be seen when the new one is raised) and a different rollcage that sits much higher than the original.  The hood features a small hole that allows the passenger to mount a combat shotgun on a secure, rotating mount.  Also above the passenger, strapped to the front rollbar, is a missile launcher with a cannon attached to its left side.  This is all of this VAMP’s firepower, as it does NOT have a rear turret.  The section where the rear turret is normally placed is covered by a removable flat panel (though when removed, there’s nothing underneath except a hole where the regular turret attached).  The rear of this VAMP features no gas cans or racks, simply the hitch…though the slots where the gas can rack goes are clearly visible.   

The 25th Anniversary VAMP improves on the original design in several ways.  The tires have much larger treads, are slightly wider, and sit out further from the body, giving the VAMP a widened stance and aggressive look.  The head and taillights are now simulated with plastic instead of stickers.  A push bar with driving lights similar to the Mark II’s is added to the front.  The hood can now be raised, revealing an engine underneath.  Also, the cargo pack the Mark II’s hood featured has been added offset to the right of the coax gun, and can be removed.  Instead of a barren passenger fender, the 25th VAMP features a removable gray shovel on its fender.  The seats inside now have a tan paint app instead of boring black.  And the rear gun turret has been reworked, featuring a beefier looking gun with attached hoses.  Those hoses really make the 25th VAMP’s rear gun look like a true laser cannon.

The 25th Cobra Stinger features the same upgrades to the lights as the 25th VAMP, it has slightly different paint apps on the front (more silver), and instead of a molded-in shovel the Stinger has a spot where an AK-47 can be snapped on.  The face-roasting troop platform remains unchanged however. 

I have almost no complaints with the VAMP.  The only complaints I have are the aforementioned poorly placed platform on the Stinger, the easily lost gas cans on the Mark I, Mark II, and the Tiger Sting, and the bright red missile and lack of detail on the rear of the 2004 TRU VAMP.  Also, when storing VAMPs, you have to be very careful so that the turret doesn’t get broken off.  This is especially true on the Mark II and Tiger Sting. 

I love ALL of these VAMP variations.  My two favorites are the 25th VAMP because of its updated, extra-beefy looks and neat features, and the Tiger Sting.  I love the Tiger Sting not only because it is a great mix of the Mark I and II VAMPs, but because my grandmother bought it for me.  I spent many an hour rolling the Tiger Sting around on the floor in my grandmother’s den, so it holds a special place in my heart. The VAMP is a truly great vehicle.  It’s one of those “just the right size” vehicles that can be taken anywhere, and made to do almost anything.  And each and every one of its variations works in its own right, and makes a great vehicle on its own.  If you want a VAMP or variant, expect to pay $20-50 depending on model, seller, and condition (the exception is the rare 25th Cobra Stinger, which goes for ridiculous amounts).  If you don’t have one…well, what are you waiting for?  Go buy a version of one of the most iconic Joe vehicles out there!  I promise, you won’t be disappointed!

Pics:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:17:04 PM by olyeller01 »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

5h4rK

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Review - VAMP(s)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »

The Vamp was one of my first toys when I was young and it still one of my fave! My favorite is the Vamp Mark II! It was so cool to play with that toy in the sandbox!  :wink:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:43 AM »

I don't have the 25th Stinger.......

I do have a few of the orignial VAMPs.  Overall, it is my favourite land vehicle.  It's utility and prevalence in the early comic days are just two of the things that make it so.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:00:02 AM »

Another great review.  I wish I had this vehicle as well.
Lurking

Thrashfennek72

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »

I love how this looks looks like a lambo LM002

I dislike one with the new roof.. it spoils the lines IMO

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:17 AM »

you're missing one:

:P
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Thrashfennek72

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:31 AM »

These where made by kenner right? I can see a huge simalarity to the Jurassic park jeeps i had as a kid  :wink:

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »

I know I'm missing one there Sundance but unfortunately I don't have any Action Force stuff.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

i have to say, i do like the detachable shovel on the 25th one.

the TRU one is crap. the only good thing they did there was adding the dash-pintle mounted gun.

if you want a Panther, ol, i'll act as intermediary if you want to buy one from ebay UK and they won't ship worldwide...
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

Thrashfennek72

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:09:10 PM »

Danm i want an Vamp mk2 so bad...

formbx257

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:22:01 PM »

Awesome review and a great showcase of the different modifications made to the basic VAMP mold!  My favorite use of the mold is the Cobra Stinger, they never made a good ground vehicle for Cobra since (I pretend the STUN never happened).
Watch "The 1980's G.I. Joe Show" on Blip.TV: http://blip.tv/formbx257
Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/FormBX257/295471453806030

Thrashfennek72

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 01:18:04 AM »

Quote from: "formbx257"
Awesome review and a great showcase of the different modifications made to the basic VAMP mold!  My favorite use of the mold is the Cobra Stinger, they never made a good ground vehicle for Cobra since (I pretend the STUN never happened).

The STUN looks ridicilous!  although the stinger had its design flaws too ( the pegholes behind the missles)