JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: What was the most stupid element in the original line?  (Read 13313 times)

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: What was the most stupid element in the original line?
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »

1) Cobra-La: well I didn't have a problem with Cobra-La it is an interesting idea (made even better by IDW now) but the fact that Cobra Commander was a scientist in the Cobra-La empire that was a bit of a stretch.  (When did he have time to become a used car salesman?)

2) Ice Cream Soldier - Stupid Name, I remade him as a custom and renamed him I.C.S.

3) Paintball guns in the Valor vs Venom movie.  I know it is a cartoon made for kids, but paintball guns?  How about gas pellets or darts or laser taser things????

These are just minor items. I just love everything G.I. Joe and accept pretty much anything that comes out in the toyline or storyline.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 08:58:59 AM »

Quote from: "SnowHawk"

3) Paintball guns in the Valor vs Venom movie.  I know it is a cartoon made for kids, but paintball guns?  How about gas pellets or darts or laser taser things????

I still wince when I think about this.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »

Quote from: "pdaat"
I still wince when I think about this.
Wow, I'm glad I do not remember this line of Joe's... that is crazy.
Lurking

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 12:20:47 PM »

Ninjas. Sure, storm Shadow was cool and making Snake Eyes a ninja was interesting, but after that it was just lame.

C'mon, a Samurai? Really? In fully Samurai gear? Don't get me wrong, I loved Samurai's as a kid, but even I knew that was stretching the credibility.

Then we have Quick Kick. A guy running into battle shirtless, bear foot with some ninja stars, sword and numb chucks? I don't recall to many Kung Fu guys throwing around Ninja Stars. Fast times at Ridgemont High had it right. "No shirt, no shoes, no Dice".

Speaking of Dice, Slice and Dice was another lame idea. The only way fo the names to be "cool" is if both guys are standing beside each other, and even that's a stretch. Do they pee together as well? Storm shadow had his little red army of ninjas, that should have been enough.

Soon everyone was a ninja, including Scarlet. WHY?

To top it all off, they helped kill the line with those stupid action features.

Yes, I believe ninjas are the reason the toy line died. The original kids got older and went, wait, sword vs M16? I know who I'm backing in this fight.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »

Quote from: "morgardee"
Ninjas. Sure, storm Shadow was cool and making Snake Eyes a ninja was interesting, but after that it was just lame.

C'mon, a Samurai? Really? In fully Samurai gear? Don't get me wrong, I loved Samurai's as a kid, but even I knew that was stretching the credibility.

Then we have Quick Kick. A guy running into battle shirtless, bear foot with some ninja stars, sword and numb chucks? I don't recall to many Kung Fu guys throwing around Ninja Stars. Fast times at Ridgemont High had it right. "No shirt, no shoes, no Dice".

Speaking of Dice, Slice and Dice was another lame idea. The only way fo the names to be "cool" is if both guys are standing beside each other, and even that's a stretch. Do they pee together as well? Storm shadow had his little red army of ninjas, that should have been enough.

Soon everyone was a ninja, including Scarlet. WHY?

To top it all off, they helped kill the line with those stupid action features.

Yes, I believe ninjas are the reason the toy line died. The original kids got older and went, wait, sword vs M16? I know who I'm backing in this fight.

That's a good point you made there Morg. When someone thinks GI Joe, the usual thing they're expected to respond is military theme. Unfortunetaly the Ninja Force subset was too noticeable not to project the wrong image of gi joe. I like the fact that every once and a while Hasbro would offer a new character that's a martial artist. That number would never exceed 1 or none per year. However with Ninja Force, the massive numbers of ninja characters tipped off that fragile balance.

BTW, I liked the Battleforce 2000 characters, but with the exception of the Vector Jet, their vehicles are a total waste of space, even If got them for free. They are probably the greatest vehicle design fail in my opinion. To me, even the Ninja vehicles seemed superior on other levels, however beeing a non Ninja Force fan you won't find me looking to get them either.
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »

Ice Cream Soldier - Stupid Name, I remade him as a custom and renamed him I.C.S.

BTW, Ice Cream Soldier name is a military deceptive Code name chosen expressively so that his enemies would not think for a minute that he's actually more of a "Incinerating Expert". Of course, his enemies would laugh at first "HAHA Ice Cream..." only to hear a "Wooosh" engulf them before they could finish their phrase with a "AAAAAHHHHHHHHRGGGGG!!!!! I'm burning!!!! ***..."

So it's kind of effective for someone to think he's got a stupid name, and not realize the extreme danger they're in if they're within torching range of: The Ice Cream Soldier!

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cream_Soldier
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
Ice Cream Soldier - Stupid Name, I remade him as a custom and renamed him I.C.S.
BTW, Ice Cream Soldier name is a military deceptive Code name chosen expressively so that his enemies would not think for a minute that he's actually more of a "Incinerating Expert". Of course, his enemies would laugh at first "HAHA Ice Cream..." only to hear a "Wooosh" engulf them before they could finish their phrase with a "AAAAAHHHHHHHHRGGGGG!!!!! I'm burning!!!! ***..."
So it's kind of effective for someone to think he's got a stupid name, and not realize the extreme danger they're in if they're within torching range of: The Ice Cream Soldier!
For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Cream_Soldier
if you go to the site it states:
Ice Cream Soldier was first released as an action figure in 1994, as part of the 'Battle Corps' line. The entire mold was re-used in 2002 for the 'Shock-Viper' figure.

I thought people like the Shock-Viper?
Lurking

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 02:19:31 PM »

As much as I love ninja, the whole Ninja Force thing wasn't very good.
Storm Shadow was special when he came out in 1984 because he was the only ninja in the line.
Snake Eyes became a ninja so the Joes would have someone to oppose him so that was still cool and I like their whole story together.
But Firefly, Zartan, Scarlet and the whole bunch of crazy NF characters? Oi!
- Firefly doesn't have to be a Koga ninja.
- Zartan can be an assassin without being a ninja.
- Scarlet dates a ninja and she comes from a whole family of martial artists and it's enough. She doesn't need to
  be a Kunoichi.
- Speaking of Kunoichi, I never was a fan of Jinx.
Say no to AFA.

5h4rK

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2010, 03:34:43 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"

Everyone loves the Shock Viper, v1 AND v2! Personnally, I think it's one of the best ARAH sculpts out there.. so why so much hate against ICS?? Don't know.. maybe the name? If someone doesn't buy that figure 'cause of it's name... well it's truly stupid! It's a great underestimated character in my book.. and a great replacement for Blowtorch or Charbroil!

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"
Quote from: "bandonov"

Everyone loves the Shock Viper, v1 AND v2! Personnally, I think it's one of the best ARAH sculpts out there.. so why so much hate against ICS?? Don't know.. maybe the name? If someone doesn't buy that figure 'cause of it's name... well it's truly stupid! It's a great underestimated character in my book.. and a great replacement for Blowtorch or Charbroil!

The name is horrible, but so were the colours. Shock Viper had a much better colour choice.

5h4rK

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 03:47:53 PM »

The name is horrible, but so were the colours. Shock Viper had a much better colour choice.

..the same colors as Blowtorch...

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

Quote from: "5h4rK"

..the same colors as Blowtorch...

Yeah but those colours just didn't work with that figure.