JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Gi joe availability near you!?  (Read 8317 times)

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Gi joe availability near you!?
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

Quote from: "Redmao"
Consumers distributing had a cool catalog, but every  time I went there to get Joes, the clerk would shrug and point at about 8 figures hanging from the edge of a shelf. "This is what we have left."

TRU and Toyville were awesome in the 80's. TRU would have every figures pictured on the back of the card and an impressive display of shelves filled with vehicles. Might explain why Joe was so big back then... or maybe was it like that BECAUSE he was big... :shifty:
Yeah - Consumers was nice - I got Duke there.  The bigger spreads in the Sears catalogues were great too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Thrashfennek72

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »

Quote from: "Redmao"
Consumers distributing had a cool catalog, but every  time I went there to get Joes, the clerk would shrug and point at about 8 figures hanging from the edge of a shelf. "This is what we have left."

TRU and Toyville were awesome in the 80's. TRU would have every figures pictured on the back of the card and an impressive display of shelves filled with vehicles. Might explain why Joe was so big back then... or maybe was it like that BECAUSE he was big... :shifty:

Well i'm a 90's kid so i never had vintage joes , but i remember being annoyed because me local shops never had more than 5 jurassic park toys.... and i spent hours looking at the packaging at the toys i never could find... thats why i kept them

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »

Quote from: "Thrashfennek72"
How about sears ? do they still make those cool exclusives?

No, sadly that glorious era is long gone. Zellers, Walmart and Toys R Us are really the big ones that carry exclusives, but even when they get here in my City and province of Montreal, Quebec, they disappear really really fast and restocking doesn't happen often. Per instance when we got the ROC wave 3 alpha vehicles (Polar Sharc, Lava pod, etc), credit goes to one scalper from what I heard from very reliable sources who singlehandly hunt them all down at every Montreal Walmart stores, leaving nothing for those who would've had a fair chance considering that they were a lot. Exclusives are a real bargain for scalpers, expecially when they show up at Walmart. Back in the olden days, parents, kids, and collectors wouldn't really buy the exclusives just for their exclusivity status, those were better days.
2 + 2 = 22

Thrashfennek72

• phpBB Canadian Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
How about sears ? do they still make those cool exclusives?

No, sadly that glorious era is long gone. Zellers, Walmart and Toys R Us are really the big ones that carry exclusives, but even when they get here in my City and province of Montreal, Quebec, they disappear really really fast and restocking doesn't happen often. Per instance when we got the ROC wave 3 alpha vehicles (Polar Sharc, Lava pod, etc), credit goes to one scalper from what I heard from very reliable sources who singlehandly hunt them all down at every Montreal Walmart stores, leaving nothing for those who would've had a fair chance considering that they were a lot. Exclusives are a real bargain for scalpers, expecially when they show up at Walmart. Back in the olden days, parents, kids, and collectors wouldn't really buy the exclusives just for their exclusivity status, those were better days.

Yeah and the new exclusives are never that cool... where the sears crison guard mobat and SMS more expensive back in the day?

bishop

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »

Yeah and the new exclusives are never that cool... where the sears crison guard mobat and SMS more expensive back in the day

For me, it was Consumers Distributing back in the days... I remember getting the black cobra Mobat in clearance for 9.99$. And it was awesome to be able to shop from home then. Did not know about the other Sears exclusive until recently.

Back on topic, nowadays, it's the trip to Walmart, Toys R us, Toys on fire and several toy conventions.

Inzane

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 11:43:33 PM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
credit goes to one scalper from what I heard from very reliable sources who singlehandly hunt them all down at every Montreal Walmart stores, leaving nothing for those who would've had a fair chance

I'd like to hang guys like that by their scrotum. 

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 12:18:20 AM »

Joes have been relatively easy for me to get over the past several years--mostly because I have lived in either rural areas or smaller centres.
Its just basic math that the larger the population is around you, the larger the collector population is going to be too.

I advocate hitting those smaller centres when you can, travelling a bit further out-of-field to look for stuff.
Understand that smaller chains often carry this stuff, as well as collectible stores off the beaten path.
Look at retailers like Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, London Drugs, Fields, True-Value Hardware, Pharmasave, Winners  and other similar local/regional  chains. They can often have some Joe items on their pegs, and many have somewhat decent ( albeit small) toy sections. You would be surprised where collectible toys can be found these days.

Let's face it, EVERYBODY hits the big chains because in their work-a-day lives they are the easiest, most convenient retailers to look at.

With so many mouths at the same feeding trough there is always going to be less to go around, and finding stuff is going to be a matter of luck and timing.
You'll have more luck scoping out a Walmart in Winnipeg or Kamloops than you will at a Wally in Toronto or Calgary.
If you are serious about increasing your odds, expand your search parameters just a bit more, and try some of the out-of-the-way places when you can.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 04:28:31 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
You'll have more luck scoping out a Walmart in Winnipeg or Kamloops than you will at a Wally in Toronto or Calgary.
If you are serious about increasing your odds, expand your search parameters just a bit more, and try some of the out-of-the-way places when you can.

This is so right!  I went to Cottage country for the weekend and you would never guess what was sitting in the only toy store in Haliburton was a PoC Alley-Viper and Cobra Commander waiting for me to buy them. 
Lurking

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Quote from: "ARROW"

This is so right!  I went to Cottage country for the weekend and you would never guess what was sitting in the only toy store in Haliburton was a PoC Alley-Viper and Cobra Commander waiting for me to buy them.   
How many CCs to you have? 
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »

I will have to double check... around 14 so far... I think I will stop at 15 :shifty:
Lurking

pdaat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
I will have to double check... around 14 so far... I think I will stop at 15 :shifty:
How many AVs?

Pretty sure I am stopping at 3.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 09:00:04 PM »

Only 2 the rest I will use for trading fodder... so the more I have, the more I can trade with...  :shifty:
Lurking