JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: The Larry Hama Experience...  (Read 3189 times)

Canuklehead

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ekcomics.com
The Larry Hama Experience...
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:28:37 PM »

I'm going to do a bit of boasting because I'm still on Cloud #9 over this...

So this weekend past I went to Montreal Comic Con.  Larry Hama and Herb Trimpe were in attendance and signing stuff.  I was able to get both their signatures on some early GI Joes including #1, #2 and Special Missions #1.  Plus Hama's on a handful of other GI Joes, Nth Man, Wolverine, Sabertooth #1 and Star Wars (one that he wrote and one that he did the cover art for - which, by the way, he was totally pleased at seeing again)

But the real highlights were the sketches Hama did for me.  I went on day 1 and got a sketch of Storm Shadow with plans to go back and get one of Snake Eyes.  My friend noticed that all of Hamas sketches were either facing straight or right-profile, so he suggested I ask for Snake Eyes on the left-profile...  So, I did.  Hama handed it to me and told me that it was the first time he had ever drawn a left-profile of Snake Eyes.  I'm super stoked because on my wall is the first-ever left-profile of Snake Eyes as drawn by Hama...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... =559101004
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Canuklehead

• View Profile
Re: The Larry Hama Experience...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »

Actually...  maybe this is more of a The Showroom topic...  sorry. 

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »

Larry is a great man. Very easy to speak with. Always a joy to see him.

Good for you for getting him to do that.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:12:44 PM »

Thats pretty damn cool congrats.  The highlight of the Canadian Joe Con was when he sketched for me as well, and if hes coming next year Ill definatly ask him to sketch a few more things.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:26 PM »

The sketches are great, you are very lucky!
Lurking

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »

People were unaware that he would sketch anything all you needed to do was ask him.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »

and slip him a 20 :)  But ya he will sketch whatever character you want (as long as hes drawn it before)
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »

Yeah, they were a bargain at $20 each.  I was really stoked when he talked to me about the Snake Eyes.  He was really cool to meet

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 12:18:51 PM »

Funny, I have a cool story to share with you guys. A Montreal aquaintance of mine who showed up at the Canadian Gi joe Convention this year, told me a behind the scenes story with Larry Hama.

Getting his autograph at Toronto's Canjoecon, he asked Mr. Hama if he would be coming to the 2010 Comicon because Mr. Trimpe would be there and it would be awesome if the two could show up together. Mr. Hama approved the idea and asked for the Comicon's organizer contact info which he got. Next thing I know, Mr. Hama was later added to the guest list of the Mtl Comicon.

Who knows if Mr. Hama already knew about the Mr. Trimpe at the Montreal convention or had already been approached by the organizers, but the way I see it, why ask for their contact information and then shortly appear as a new guest on the Comicon's website? Doesn't seem like coincidence to me  :wink:.
2 + 2 = 22

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »

Quote from: "Canuklehead"
But the real highlights were the sketches Hama did for me.  I went on day 1 and got a sketch of Storm Shadow with plans to go back and get one of Snake Eyes.  My friend noticed that all of Hamas sketches were either facing straight or right-profile, so he suggested I ask for Snake Eyes on the left-profile...  So, I did.  Hama handed it to me and told me that it was the first time he had ever drawn a left-profile of Snake Eyes.  I'm super stoked because on my wall is the first-ever left-profile of Snake Eyes as drawn by Hama...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=7 ... =559101004

Awesome pics.
My suggestion would be to switch the order of the pictures on the wall, so they're facing each other. Your wall, your call!!!
I think it would look balanced. Very nice.
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

K.B.

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

I'd love it if Trimpe would show up at the next Joe Con.

Canuklehead

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »

Quote from: "grunt 4 mvp"
Awesome pics.
My suggestion would be to switch the order of the pictures on the wall, so they're facing each other. Your wall, your call!!!
I think it would look balanced. Very nice.

I thought about that, but I like the way Storm Shadow is kind of looking behind him at Snake Eyes.  I plan to put the Joe comic I got signed up between them, so that they're looking to either side of the comics.  But I'll see how it looks  ;D

One cool thing about both Hama and Trimpe being there:  the were placed next to each other, so I showed up to Hama's table on day 2, handed him Special Missions 1...  he signed it, handed it to Trimpe and said "here, Herb, sign this..."  Trimpe did, then checked the credits...  Hama kind of laughed and said, "No, it's yours... you drew it." and they joked for a bit.  It was very cool.