JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Doom Reboot In Early Stages  (Read 2911 times)

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Doom Reboot In Early Stages
« on: March 11, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »

I found this while hunting for GI Joe news... It mentions GI Joe Rise of Cobra.

Doom Reboot In Early Stages Of Ripping You Off, And We Need To Make A Change

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Doom-Reboot-In-Early-Stages-Of-Ripping-You-Off-And-We-Need-To-Make-A-Change-23574.html

The 2005 adaptation of the video game Doom was a mess. From the acting to the effects to the massive failure of the experimental “first-person shooter” sequence, the movie fell on its face and it fell hard. On the plus side, though, while the story was decidedly horrible in the adaptation, it wasn’t the actual story of Doom the series. If the rumor that Universal is hunting for reboot scripts is true, as suggested by What's Playing, there’s potential for someone to come in and do it right.

But there’s an underlying story here that’s worth examining. Universal is entering into this production based on the success of G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. I repeat, success of G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra. That particular film made $300 million worldwide, $125 million of which was profit - hardly gangbusters for a film of that nature with that name, but, nonetheless, it made money. The shocking part of that statistic is that G.I. Joe was a really bad film and thrashed the very essence of what the real G.I. Joe series was and still is to the kid in all of us.

Based on that, you can plainly see a mindset change in the studio. Making a movie based on the success or rather non-success of G.I. Joe tells us that Universal no longer is looking to please an audience, they’re looking to trick an audience into giving them more money. They’re no longer thinking about how to deliver a great movie, they’re calculating just how bad a movie they can deliver and still make a profit.

One way they’re going to trick you is by making the film 3D, which for some reason holds some sort of appeal to the teeming masses of movie goers and will cost a minimum of $2 extra per admission. Next, they’ll probably try and save all the money they can by keeping the budget low rather than shoveling the $60 million they threw at the original Doom. And finally they’ll cut a flashy, incomprehensible trailer that will trick you into thinking the film looks awesome, when really they’re soaking a blanket it perfume and using it to hide a big pile of shit.

This is where we need to make a change as a collective. Movies like The Dark Knight and Inception have proven that big action tent poles can be both entertaining and smart. They’re not explosions for the sake of explosions; they’re cohesive engaging stories that both visually entertain and provoke thought... and then there are explosions. Even movies like The A-Team, a more mindless action piece, have found ways to entertain and at their core remain good, balanced films. We need to stop rushing to theaters for the crap, and wait for the movies that really are good. This involves a little trust from us, your go to critics, and spreading the word about a bad movie you may have been swindled into seeing. Tell your friends, tell the internet, make people steer clear of that movie.

One thing’s for sure, we can’t keep going on like we are. Spending $13 a ticket to see films like G.I. Joe has finally manifested tangible evidence of studio greed. Join me in what I’m going to call “Operation Steer Clear” and help bring cinema back to what it should be, an artistic outlet for viewers to escape to, rather than the beacon of rampant capitalism it will soon become.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Lurking

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Doom Reboot In Early Stages
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:09:30 PM »

I liked the first person shooter sequence of the first movie.  I thought it was great!  The story could have been better.
Lurking

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »

I hate 3D.
It's annoying.
If I want to see 3D I'll just walk in the street.
If they keep on insisting on bringing everything in 3D I'll wait for the DVDs and stop going to the theaters.
Enough is enough.
Say no to AFA.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »

With 3D they usually have a 2D version as well, I hope!
Lurking

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »

I had to find the trailer for the first one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjsSrD2uG4[/youtube]
Lurking

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »

I found the First Person Shooter scene

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpb13mDBP1I[/youtube]
Lurking

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »

personally, i liked DooM. it was a fairly decent Aliens rip-off with decent FX, decent acting and a not overly crap story. it wasn't BRILLIANT, but it was a sight better than 95% of the other video game movies, and considering the plot of the game amounts to 'run around shooting demonic cyborg critters', it did pretty well i thought.

the only other 2 decent video game adaps i've seen are Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider. MK:A is mediocre, SF, Double Dragon and Mario Bros all suck major amounts of ass.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

NeoDragonKnight

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »

If they make another Doom movie, lets hope they stick to the premise, a portal to hell opened up.
\"And I don\'t want the world to see me, cuz I don\'t think that they\'d understand... When everything\'s made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am...\"

SnowHawk

• phpBB Hailstorm Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 04:24:57 PM »

The only thing I really liked about Doom was it was supposed to be a Rock movie but Karl Urban was the real star.

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »

Quote from: "SnowHawk"
The only thing I really liked about Doom was it was supposed to be a Rock movie but Karl Urban was the real star.

+1 for that! I really Like what Karl has done with his career!
Lurking

Realboss

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 09:39:09 PM »

I liked the twist when the Rock actually turned out to be the bad guy!  The rest of the movie was basic.

As for GIJoe Rise of Cobra it did work on a certain level with the younger audience.  Hence the reason it did fairly well.  My nephew is a prime example, he and 3 of his friends all 10 yrs old at the time saw it and loved it they even bought the DVD and video game.  He was only semi aware of the GIJoe universe through what I had shown him and told him about it.  Before that he was really into Star Wars.  I found it happily ironic because that is how I started as a kid--collecting Star Wars.

Mind you I would like to see a Doom reboot because I was a bit disappointed that they moved away from the original Hell concept.
There can be only one.  One true GIJoe that is!