JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Super7 GI Joe discussion  (Read 8283 times)

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Super7 GI Joe discussion
« on: July 13, 2021, 02:24:36 PM »

Might as well start a thread now.  No official word yet, but enough reveals to know that Super7 is doing Joe.  Early reveal seemed to point to Ultimates, ReAction and Cyborg offerings. 

Now we have Timber in what is obviously Ultimates scale.  While timing aside (who might skip this because of Hasbro's release?), It should be interesting.

Their Cyborg line will obviously start with a B.A.T.

ReAction will be interesting, but probably follow close to whatever they release in Ultimates.

Next post will be after this week's reveals.

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Super7 GI Joe discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »

https://super7.com/blogs/news/super7-and-hasbro-team-up-for-g-i-joe-ultimates-and-reaction-figures

So the reveals were last week.

Have to say I am both excited, and surprised. 

In regards to the ReAction line I am thrilled with what the went with, but WOW is that a lot of product.  I would personally buy the whole set if I could afford to, but funds are too limited nowadays to go in on a line I don't 100% want.  I love the variety of troopers, especially the deep dive of the "Y' & "H" backs for the Cobra Troopers.  Kwinn was an inspired early choice. 

If they were cheaper I would get them all, but at $20+ (Cdn) it just isn't worth it for 5 POA figures that only have a cursory ability to work with the original ARAH line.  Still, bravo Super7.

Now, as for Ultimates.......

WOW, talk about the cartoon jumping out of your TV and into toy form.  These look great!!!  I am a little surprised by the choice of figures.  Super7 has been pretty good at going at least a little out of left field for one figure in a wave.  This time it was all safe bets, but thankfully 1 Army builder. 

Duke is the weakest in my opinion.  Something about the head sculpts just seems off.  I don't know if it is the cartoon design, or not, but it just didn't translate as well as I would have thought.  Also I don't get why Snake Eyes gets a jet pack, but Duke doesn't.  He is arguably the one with the most memorable uses of a jet pack.  I mean he is wearing one in the opening credits of the first series, and the opening of the movie is iconic for his use of a Jet Pack to destroy the Cobra Aircraft, and then taking the Flag up to the Statue Of Liberty.

Cobra Commander.  I like the overall look, and the video game ad accessory (Snake wrapped around the globe) is a classic Super7 deep dive.  I love the cape as well.  I only wish they would have included the hooded head instead, but I guess it is a wait and see if the rumour of Hasbro not wanting to use the hooded version anymore holds true.

Snake Eyes.  Finally the "Ultimate" (get it) V1 Snake Eyes from the cartoon.  This is incredible and looks exactly like he popped out of my TV.  Timber is an awesome accessory and I love the cartoon accurate rifles.  AND YES he had exposed hands, not gloves!!

BAT.  Saved the best for last.  This is a thing of beauty!!!!!  I can't wait for this bad boy (I actually went in for 2, and might get 1 more, but $$$).  I love the red face plate, which finally gets the cartoon version in my hands that I always wanted.  All the accessories are perfect compliments to the figure.  I am so happy with this figure.  Maybe the only thing I would have wanted was a replaceable battle damaged chest plate, but no big whoop.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »

I have no interest in GI JOE figures that have the same shitty articulation as the original Star Wars figures. 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 06:24:02 AM »

I have no interest in GI JOE figures that have the same shitty articulation as the original Star Wars figures.

Tell us how you really feel Pete.  :)

Yeah the limited articulation (less than original ARAH) is a letdown, but that is what Super7 does.  Someone pointed out that they, as a company, come from the vinyl, static side of collecting.  So I get their decision to go the simplified ReAction route.  Of course it also would make sense that Hasbro doesn't want another company doing 3 3/4" figures that are their domain, especially for GI Joe.  So this is a good compromise for those who want them. 

At $20+ Cdn each I am taking a hard pass.  Hell I won't shell out for the new 3 3/4" figures either at $18.  I just don't see the value anymore when the 25th/ME figures started out less than $10. 

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 06:32:00 AM »

Also if anyone is interested, here is an interview with Brian Flynn from Super7 about their GI Joe line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIN6Ml6OAjA

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 12:48:52 AM »

Are these even in retail?  I haven't gone to a TRU in a while due to COVID. 

But I did step into a EB store today:  picked up my first 6" one (Zartan).   
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 08:45:04 AM »

Are these even in retail?  I haven't gone to a TRU in a while due to COVID. 

But I did step into a EB store today:  picked up my first 6" one (Zartan).   

I don't think regular retail carries them in Canada.  I have only ever seen them up here at comic/specialty stores.

Good choice on the Zartan, he is one of the best releases so far.  At least of what I have seen in person..

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 01:01:52 AM »

Think of them as G.I. Joe figures for Super7 collectors. They're not for us.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 01:13:04 PM »

I would consider getting these for my boy but he's not really interested in action figures...to much electronic entertainment I guess. :(

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2022, 07:36:07 AM »

Wave 3 of the Joe Ultimates:

https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/g-i-joe-ultimates-wave-3-figures

Now this is a great lineup.  Not that the previous 2 waves were not great as well, but this is wave hits a few sweet spots for me personally.

Storm Shadow:  Looks great!!!  Overall great design, and really evokes the cartoon.

Scarlett:  Another great choice and look.  I think the head sculpt doesn't quite capture the cartoon look, but still great overall.

Doc:  WOW!!  This a a homerun in my opinion.  Both the character selection and execution.  Doc is definitely under represented usually so it is great to see him here.  However this looks fantastic.  Not just the figure and accessories, but this is the first head sculpt (non masked) I think really captures the look of the cartoon character.  My favourite of the wave (closely followed by Storm Shadow)

Cobra Trooper:  Another army builder.  Overall great look, and it was a great choice by Super7 to include an alternate skin tone option rather than trying to milk us for another version down the line.  Really great look overall and will be a nice addition to the collection.

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2022, 02:23:47 PM »

Well well well. What do we have here.
is that articulation I see?! Perhaps this line is worth second look.

Doc looks real nice at first glance.

$55 US each!!! I'm out. New toys shouldn't cost the same as vintage. I'm out!!!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 02:26:13 PM by B »

canprime

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 08:17:44 AM »

Well well well. What do we have here.
is that articulation I see?! Perhaps this line is worth second look.

Doc looks real nice at first glance.

$55 US each!!! I'm out. New toys shouldn't cost the same as vintage. I'm out!!!

Yeah Super7 is not cheap, but the Ultimates line is a great way to get fairly cartoon accurate looks for a lot of different lines.  With good articulation, and a lot of accessories, especially deep dive type accesssories.   Not to mention some deep dive characters that wouldn't probably show up in a Hasbro line.

The big test will be whenever they go up in price again, and how many people will still be willing to buy at $60+US.