JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: New (old) board format and some items of note.  (Read 18258 times)

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
New (old) board format and some items of note.
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »

Before anyone says anything, the colour is temporary. ;)

We're back to using the old style board format. I personally prefer it, and I like the many add-on options available with it.
You'll have to change your password to log in. This shoud only be a one-time thing, but you may have to do it again later on. Also - I want to hear the cheers when you all see the MODIFY YOUR POST button. Why that other board style didn't have that option is beyond me. Lame.

Let's cover a few things.

First.
We gained nearly 100 users on the other board format, about 90 of them were all spambots. That didn't happen here.

Should it happen, safeguards are now in place with this current version. New members will have to enter a code, and answer a pre-set question that I've set up before they can register. Once they do register, they'll have to do it for a couple of their first postings and PMs. This way, should a spam-bot get in, it should make things harder for it and delay the crap that comes with them.

Second
The "Titles" for board users are messed up. Those will be changed as time goes on. Truthfully, it's a pain to change each one manually -but they will get done.

Third
I'll be shutting off the "non-server" avatars. You'll have to use one that is hosted here - and I'll welcome any suggestions for new avatar sections to be hosted here.

Fourth
Staff situations have changed at JoeCanuck.com. Currently, Stealth Viper and myself are Administrators, while Pete The Greek and Scramble are Global Moderators. Loop is still on staff for the CanJoeCon, and Moderator - once I fix that.

Fifth
The newsletter is officially retired. In the May issue I stated it would be going to a bi-monthly format - and here we are in August. No one (besides 1 board member) has submitted an article, no one has mentioned in on the site, and not one person has mentioned it to me directly since then. That doesn't mean you're not encouraged to post any articles, reviews, comics, or whatnot on the site - by all means, please do. Chances are we may even take some of them and put them in a special CJC 2012 magazine for the convention. I would like to see the newsletter return, personally, and maybe someday, it will.

Sixth
The site is going to start something new in a couple of weeks (if all goes well). We'll be offering up T-Shirts on the site and other items geared towards JoeCanuck and it's characters. They will be made to order only - so once they're gone - they'll be gone. I'm still working out the specifics of it. But in the meantime, if you have any suggestions of things you'd like - feel free to start up a thread and post your suggestions. My "Pac-Man Snake Eyes" shirt will be the 1st thing offered up. Some of you have seen this shirt at the CJC this year. Stealth's wife loved it so much, she bought my extra one!

That's all I have for now. Enjoy the new (old) format, and hang tight while I slowly get it looking like it once did.
Thanks!
Mike
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:03:23 PM by THE Mike™ »

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: New (old) board format and some items of note.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »

Thanks Mike. I think everyone appreciate all the effort you (and your team) put into JC.

I think you were the first one using the edit button!!  :D The spell check function is also a great add-on (even if it doesn't correct grammar...  :-[)

My avatar is still there, cool!

About the newsletter, I have to admit I didn't have a lot of time reading it since the CJC. So I have a bit of catch-up to do.

The store idea is great, would it involve any chrome object  ;D if you want suggestion, my brain is full of idea: Chrome FANG, Flight pod, Mobat, SNAKE (why not!), etc.

Take care and thanks for keeping JC alive!

Martin

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

THANK YOU FOR MODIFY!!!!! Thank You!  Thank You!  Thank You!

JC Store is a Great Idea!  Just to be first to ask, Will we have Hats available?
Lurking

martin-montreal

• Snowbank Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »

Bandonov, how did you bring back your avatar? Mine was there then disappeared...

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:05:54 PM »

Bandonov, how did you bring back your avatar? Mine was there then disappeared...

It is because I have a high post count.  I'm sure it will disappear soon.
Lurking

Redmao

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »

No custom avatars? Booooo! Just kidding ;)
I'm glad we're back to the old format. Thanks Mike.
Say no to AFA.

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:14:06 AM »

i must immediately request board avatars of Beaver!

i was wondering what had happened to the newsletter, but figured something was preventing it getting done and didn't ask.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »

Thanks for all the hard work to the JC site team....really enjoy this place...the level of commitment shows big time, keep up the great work!

YO JOE!
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »

i must immediately request board avatars of Beaver!

Then why don't you get together a group of Action Force avatars, and I'll add them to the site! ;)

JC Store is a Great Idea!  Just to be first to ask, Will we have Hats available?

That's the plan.

The store idea is great, would it involve any chrome object  ;D if you want suggestion, my brain is full of idea: Chrome FANG, Flight pod, Mobat, SNAKE (why not!), etc.

I think any future plans for anything being chromed with CJC is now dead. It's no longer special.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:03:00 PM by THE Mike™ »

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »

Thanks Mike. The temporary look is okay. My eyes are able to put up with this shade for some reason, so that's great just there. A little feedback:

Since the store will be up and running, do you have plans to make at least a figure available directly through the site, that will not be a convention exclusive, but let's say, rather a figure that can be the same throughout the years, kind of like an online JC mascot?

As for the newsletter, I won't say YES I WILL, but I'm up for writting/illustrating something that is not a comic book of course (will all due respect to Loop, I know that the comic book artist spot will remain as it is for it is in good hands as longs as he's at the helm). So if I write an article, I would provide my own illustrations, if not photos. Is a fan fic acceptable as a submission? I know that I can draw a still or two, but I need a writer  ::) ...someone preferably from the UK who I know has great writing skills but can't draw s**t (because he said so! LOL!).

2 + 2 = 22

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »

can we have our avatars made bigger than 65 pixels square?

and I have a set of 7 pix lined up for possible use as Beaver avs.

if someone wants me to write something, PM me.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

Since the store will be up and running, do you have plans to make at least a figure available directly through the site, that will not be a convention exclusive, but let's say, rather a figure that can be the same throughout the years, kind of like an online JC mascot?

That idea was bounced around last year. I'm not to keen on the idea because I feel it takes away from the con set for the following year. Any figure we can make and sell here on JoeCanuck should logically go into the con set for 2012 in my opinion.