JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Hello from Iowa! (or Help Me Learn all the Canadian Gi Joe Names)  (Read 5985 times)

Signlangboy

• phpBB Junior Ranger
    • View Profile

Hello everyone!  David from Iowa here.  I am a recent convert to GI Joe.  I had some of the toys as a kid but never really followed them, the show or the comics.  However the GI Joe Club recently released the Oktober Guard set (well last year) and I happened to see it in a Google search.  As a foreign exchange student in high school to Russia (like a million years ago -- I am 41 now), I was sold on their concept.  I eBay-ed them and promptly joined the club.  Now I am into GI Joe whole hog!  Got all the TPBs for the Marvel run and have been trying to catch up on Devil's Due and IDW. 

I have been trying to buy all the female figures and have done pretty well.  I even went to GI JoeCon recently in Indianapolis; I had the best time!  Everyone was so friendly and polite.  I even got THREE more female figures so that made my day.  While there, I learned about What's on Joe Mind? podcast and went back to listen to them.  That's how I learned of you!  I heard about the Valkyrie figure and went out on eBay to get the set.  It arrived today and I was amazed at the workmanship.  Love it.  The comic confused me though -- I have NO idea to who all those people are.  Anyone want to tell me more about the GI Joes of Canada?  Is there a place for more history?  I am really new to this whole board thing and a bit overwhelmed already. 

Hope to hear from some of you soon! 

David Theobald
signlangboy@mac.com
“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
― L.M. Montgomery

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Iowa! (or Help Me Learn all the Canadian Gi Joe Names)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:01 PM »

Welcome to the Forum
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »

Welcome aboard!
2 + 2 = 22

Sundance

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 02:10:35 AM »

wotcha!

you're best bet for finding out who some of the character are, is to try to track down copies of the 2010 and 2011 CJC comics as they feature the comics from the newsletters which introduce the Canuckleheads and many of the Cobras.

you can also try reading the wiki on the site.
Paratroopers don't die, they go to Hell and regroup.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:27:11 PM »

Welcome!

You can grab two of the 4 comics here: www.bountyhuntertoys.com - and, the 2012 con set, cheap... but you may have that already. ;)

Signlangboy

• phpBB Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »

I bought the 2011 set with Valkyrie just last week on eBay after attending the JoeCon 2013 in Indianapolis.  I am trying to collect all the female Joes so she was a must have!  Love the set.  I am tempted to pick up some of the older sets too.  It was the comic included in the 2011 set that made me want to know who the heck all the Canadian Joes were.  Plus most of them were in white while the newer figures of TraceRoute, Valkyrie and Take Down here in some great red uniforms.  The intrigue to learn more is killing me -- I am such not a patient person!
“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
― L.M. Montgomery

grunt 4 mvp

• Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 05:30:07 PM »

Welcome aboard!
Glad to have such an enthusiastic new member!
If you've got complete 90's figures FTS, PM me!

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »

Always nice to see fresh meat....er um new blood.....
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.