JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Retaliation wave 3.5 (aka Kwinn's wave) preorders  (Read 7798 times)

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Retaliation wave 3.5 (aka Kwinn's wave) preorders
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 03:05:32 PM »

Canada Customs allows a personal exemption of about approx. $40-$50 for imported item via mail.  There is NO duty on action figures/toys.
 If you have to pay a fee, its for GST/PST on the total value of the shipment including the shipping costs. The total amount shouldn't be more than about 15%, or $15 of $100 value.
 Customs does not always assign this fee, and they are less likely to if the import is, say, just 2 or 3 carded figures. You are more likely to see the added fee if the items are very expensive or if its a case of figures because the oft-assumption is that the items may be for re-sale.

If you use a courier, you'll very likely get assigned brokerage fees, for the intermediary at the border who "handles" and "guarantees" the package for Customs, to allow it into the country. Usually the brokers fee doesn't even appear itself until later, when you receive the separate bill for it, but it can be reflected on the parcel when it arrives and , I believe, is calculated into the value for declaration which can bump up the amount that much more.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:10:10 PM by ARROW »

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 07:56:16 PM »

Canada Customs allows a personal exemption of about approx. $40-$50 for imported item via mail.  There is NO duty on action figures/toys.
 If you have to pay a fee, its for GST/PST on the total value of the shipment including the shipping costs. The total amount shouldn't be more than about 15%, or $15 of $100 value.
 Customs does not always assign this fee, and they are less likely to if the import is, say, just 2 or 3 carded figures. You are more likely to see the added fee if the items are very expensive or if its a case of figures because the oft-assumption is that the items may be for re-sale.

If you use a courier, you'll very likely get assigned brokerage fees, for the intermediary at the border who "handles" and "guarantees" the package for Customs, to allow it into the country. Usually the brokers fee doesn't even appear itself until later, when you receive the separate bill for it, but it can be reflected on the parcel when it arrives and , I believe, is calculated into the value for declaration which can bump up the amount that much more.
Actually, in addition to the HST (or appropriate tax in your province), there is a handling fee (not duty). It used to be around $5 only a few years ago, and it was $8.50 until last August, and it is now $9.95!

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/news/announcements/customsfee.jsf

So in Ontario, for example, on $100 you can expect to pay $13 HST plus the $9.95 handling fee. Or if you're lucky it will pass through customs. Technically anything over $20 should be stopped and taxed at customs. But in my experience they will let things through up to about $50-$60, and occasionally you can get lucky and a more expensive parcel will sneak though and you pay absolutely nothing. 

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

So for a case of $120 you're looking at $120US, plus shipping (say $10), plus customs and tax, (about $26) for a total of about $160. Maybe a touch more depending on exchange and what the seller charges for shipping. Not cheap.

Gerjurdking

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »

I haven't ordered from BBTS since the 25th waves but I got dinged every time. I'm still debating whether or not to pre-order the Tomahawk. Right now the cheapest with shipping is looking like ~$130 for two. I pre-ordered two Skystrikers at $110 (including shipping) only to have them show up in stores so I'm obviously hesitant. Does anyone expect Toys R Us to carry the Tomahawk considering that they didn't carry the Skystriker?

Jon S.

• Administrator
  • phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://individual.utoronto.ca/gijoecanada
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »

It's part of the new movie line, so I'm optimistic.

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »

Well, I just made a pre-order for the wave at Legends Action Figures. They offer a discount of the tax for members of snowtroopers.ca, so my total with shipping comes to $129. Better than regular retail. At that price, I had to jump at it, even if there are a couple I don't care for. There are a few must haves and a few that don't represent my vision of classic characters, but are just solid figures with some great accessories, so this wave is worthwhile. And I won't have to try and track down the ones I REALLY want. :) Yay Kwinn! Kwinn for the winn! Yippee!

g.ijoecollecter3400

• where not worthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »

I so much want an " bird,bird chopper " sorry, i mean Eaglehawk. Anybody have one sealed and one loose to sell ?
I oppened the drawer and there it was "" GONE ""

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:45:15 AM »

Well, I just made a pre-order for the wave at Legends Action Figures. They offer a discount of the tax for members of snowtroopers.ca, so my total with shipping comes to $129. Better than regular retail. At that price, I had to jump at it, even if there are a couple I don't care for. There are a few must haves and a few that don't represent my vision of classic characters, but are just solid figures with some great accessories, so this wave is worthwhile. And I won't have to try and track down the ones I REALLY want. :) Yay Kwinn! Kwinn for the winn! Yippee!
Wonder if I can preorder and pick up in-person at the store...
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....