JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: GI JOE AT DOLLORAMA  (Read 9775 times)

STARDUSTER

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
GI JOE AT DOLLORAMA
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:40:53 PM »

Just got some GI Joe at Dollorama in Vaudreuil !!! 3$ each !

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: GI JOE AT DOLLORAMA
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:07:38 PM »

Which ones??? Let us know please.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »

OMG! This is a big hit to Gi joe's dignity...  :-[
2 + 2 = 22

darth cujo

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »

Which ones??? Let us know please.
Seconded, please, let us know! Such a tease!

OMG! This is a big hit to Gi joe's dignity...  :-[
I'm surprised by this. When the Star Trek figures hit Dollarama I was not surprised since they were a disaster, but Joes? Man, that is sinking to a new low. Just in time for the 50th Anniversary! :( Here's hoping Toy Fair can resurrect our hope!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »

Here's hoping Toy Fair can resurrect our hope!

I wouldn't expect much or ANYTHING GIJOE at Toyfair. Or at the NYCC a month later.

There MIGHT be something solid announced at Joe con.

This is what the toy industry insiders I know have relayed to me:

No-one is interested in GIJOE.

That has to sink in for a minute.
Apparently, Hasbro has laid out all kinds of plans and exclusives for the 50th, and all the major retailers have sniffed at them.  Rejected them cold.
There might be ONE retailer interested in A exclusive......singular, in both respects.
You can blame Paramount, for delaying the movie.......which really screwed things up. Retailers were left with all kinds of stock leftover, and little of it was moving, and because of that, they are not interested in anything new beyond their last orders for Retaliation stuff. The sell-through period for merch attached to the movie and DVD is still in effect for most of 2014, so retailers are not interested in supporting a separate promotion that is not movie-related.

That it's the brand's 50th anniversary means NOTHING to them.
It sells so little, holds so little shelf space that if GIJOE went away, no-one would notice. Or care.

Except GIJOE collectors and fans, and we amount to the fly on the elephant's ass---to famously quote a former GIJOE brand manager.
Action figure brands in the industry are all in disarray. Marvel toys are NOT selling and Iron Man 2 toys were massively over-produced and ordered. Many retailers still have huge amounts in their systems when the third Iron Man movie came out......and Hasbro had promised them that all the IM, Captain America and Thor toys they were choking on would sell when Avengers came out.

That didn't happen.
And the retailers called Hasbro on it.

Consequently, anything else that ANYONE else is offering the stores gets a wary eyeball looking at it. It's affected the entire industry. Movie tie-ins mean nothing any more......the consumer-base just isn't interested in them, and retailers have been burned too many times. The days of old with a massive toy brand launch for a movie.......are dead and gone now.

Okay, so with all that in mind.......I am the lone voice, probably the only voice you have heard anything from yet on this matter.
Don't take my word for it.
I am not an insider, I am just a messenger.
My source is a long-time on-line acquaintance who is an insider, and his comments ( which I have relayed) cane be found on a Facebook group set up by fans to discuss Hasbro toys). I can direct the curious to the actual group if anyone wishes. You can then contact the fellow personally to verify or satisfy his bonafides.

Otherwise, what to do??

Wait a month for Toy Fair in February--it happens around Valentine's day.  Actually previews should slip the week just prior. If ANYTHING is coming, it'll appear then. Hasbro may be playing this very close to the vest......( we hope), and MAY have something to roll out then. There may be a retailer, or retailers interested in carrying stuff. Might still happen.

If it does NOT happen at Toy Fair, then don't expect anything at NYCC.  And Joe Con will be the last swing at bat for a while.

After that, GIJOE movies 3&4 WILL be made.....unless 3 tanks horribly. SOME toys will roll out in concert with the movies, but if there's no reveal at Toy Fair then GIJOE is done as a perennial line for the foreseeable future. It'll be an event line, coinciding with movies ( or TV shows) only.

The only other hope here is for the Collector club to continue with its semi-kitbashed product.
 That is all there is.

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »

There is also a chance they are the Dollar General Joes, in which case Dollarama is where they should be.

Also, props to ARROW for the most depressing post of 2014. Winona was right, reality does bite.

Zenith27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »

No-one is interested in GIJOE.
That has to sink in for a minute.

GI Joe / MLP:FiM cross over. It's the only option.

Let THAT sink in for a minute....

God help us all.

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:30 PM »

From what I hear it's Retaliation Wave 1 stock.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »

GI Joe / MLP:FiM cross over. It's the only option.

Let THAT sink in for a minute....

God help us all.

Alas, as insane as that idea sounds, it's not that insane. The Angry Birds would probably provide a bigger audience.

And I do apologize to everyone for the morbid post.
We can feed on false hopes, we can buy into delusions........we can throw up our hands and give up..........but at least knowing what the score MIGHT be gives everyone interested some perspective regardless of the outcome.

darth cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »

From what I hear it's Retaliation Wave 1 stock.
Hmm, sounds pretty weak. Can't remember whats in that. Red Ninjas, Joe troopers? Might be some nice custom fodder at $3 each.

There is also a chance they are the Dollar General Joes, in which case Dollarama is where they should be.

Except despite the Dollar General name, I think they're a little more "high end" (heh) than dollarama. And a big difference between carrying $6 Joes for $6 as a lower end line, vs dumping $11 figures for $3. Sad. It probably means even Winners and Marshalls passed on them!

Hey Arrow, interesting post. Whether it's all true or not I'm not surprised by what you're saying. Action figures in general seem to be a shrinking market these days. My hopes for GI Joe are minimal, and to be honest if it all stopped today, I'd be fine with that. More stuff has come out than I'll ever need. I just pick and choose now anyway, so I always just hope for some nice figures here and there. Sadly, the collectors club may be the best avenue for what I want. I just wish their prices were something even close to reasonable.

I would be surprised if absolutely nothing came out of Toy Fair though. I would think that maybe that one retailer you mentioned might step up for that one exclusive you mentioned because of the fact it would be a one-off that no-one else had. I hate exclusives but it would at least beat having to get whatever it is through the club.

Sureshot

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 06:55:21 PM »

I can verify the Retaliation Wave 1 reports. Saw them today in Calgary, looks like one case per store.
A reminder:
1x Duke
1x Cobra Commander
2x Roadblock
2x Snake Eyes
2x Storm Shadow
1x Red Ninja
1x Cobra Trooper
1x G.I. Joe Trooper
1x Zartan

I remember after Rise of Cobra, Toys R Us blew out a bunch of figures at 2.98 each, including City Strike Snake Eyes, Jungle warfare Ripcord, Desert Viper et al. That was a much better assortment than what Dollorama has up for offer. That limited articulation kills it for me.

Saying it is an insult to Joe to be sold at $3 each is less of an insult than wanting $10 or whatever it was for some of these hunks of crap full retail. I'm looking at you Duke and Roadblock.

crazylegs

• phpBB Dead Eye Mechanic
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio of Illustration & Design
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »

everytime I go to my dollarama here in my hometown in Newfoundland I always check out the toys ever since I've heard of this and no luck yet! I'll just keep looking...thanks for sharing...this is a new low...but it's joe product...and in a way funny...wild!
"YO JOESKI!" - Horrorshow

Collection:
http://s1075.photobucket.com/albums/w430/Crazzylegs/GI%20JOE%20Collection/

Want List:
http:/