JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: HI$$TANK.COM  (Read 34215 times)

Wild Weasel

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theterrordrome.com
Re: HI$$TANK.COM
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »

Honestly, can someone please tell me what is their problem? I just don't get it. I don't get why they feel to manipulate every single thing on their site? Jamar, I'm glad to see you stand up to them like that. What they did is complete BS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »

Quote from: "jamarmiller"
Please do not remove this link. I know you are fully aware of the linking police.

WTF is the linking police?

I would love to have a conversation with the owner of that site.
Seriously, I would. Unfortunately there's no email addy for him visible without becoming a member. And I'm not going to add to their member status just to view a picture, or just to contact someone.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2008, 10:53:58 PM »

There were two WTF for me:

1) Linking police?   :lol:
2) Who the heck signs off with their board name in a pm? 
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »

JR, I appreciate all your comics stuff updates. Since it's kind of irregular when you guys get new stuff up (art - go figure) I only head over there when you post here.

So, keep up the good work.

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2008, 11:22:43 PM »

I also wonder if this rule about posting PMs on other boards is a new rule?...  :mrt:

Wild Weasel

• phpBB Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theterrordrome.com
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »

Quote from: "THE Mike?"
I also wonder if this rule about posting PMs on other boards is a new rule?...  :mrt:

New or not, it's not like you sign some kind of "confidentiality agreement" saying you won't post PM's elsewhere. This just gets dumber and dumber.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »

Hmmmmmm. Princes Leia said it best:

The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Yep, that's the first time I think I've ever quoted Star Wars on a joe board but it seems to fit.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

jamarmiller

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bloodforthebaron.com
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »

Quote from: "Wild Weasel"
Honestly, can someone please tell me what is their problem? I just don't get it. I don't get why they feel to manipulate every single thing on their site? Jamar, I'm glad to see you stand up to them like that. What they did is complete BS.

thanks guys , we definately need to stand up and let it be known all about the crap hisstank does. This is not the first time they have done this either to me, I have several times posted breaking news on their site and they always change it to something else instead of crediting the proper JOE board, I have complained in the past and this time was just the last straw especially with what happened with the canuck news letter

basically there a business and not fans so other sites only take away revenue from them. I have said it before and Ill say it again we all need to contact the sponsors on the hisstank board and make our voices heard. take away thier revunue sources and theyll be gone
LONG LIVE THE RED SHADOWS

SnakeEyesOnAPlane

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://ages25andup.blogspot.com/
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »

I don't get it.  Do they not understand what Joe Canuck is?  Do they feel threatened by a site which caters to the Canadian Joe fans, and it's out to make money and/or steal away members from other boards?
Knowing is half the battle. Actually fighting is the other half.
Help Cobra take over the Cayman Islands!

ARROW

• phpBB HATE Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

take away thier revunue sources and theyll be gone

Um...........

Do you realize that you are threatening someone's livelihood because you do not like their website........something which you are neither beholden to use nor need to have any traffic in??

Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute, and think about what you are proposing.
Is it fair, in ANY respect, to ruin someone's business because you do not like how its run?
Might be time to invoke some common sense.

Why not just not patronize or acknowledge them at all, and let them carry on as they please?
If they badly manage their site and forums, people and advertisers will leave of their own accord.

Fomenting that, or seeking to "get rid of them" makes those that do not like them as BAD as they claim the managers of Hisstank to be.

After all, will it cost you anything if they continue to operate??
Somehow..........I think not.........

canprime

• phpBB Blue SNAKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2008, 07:34:25 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"
take away thier revunue sources and theyll be gone

Um...........

Do you realize that you are threatening someone's livelihood because you do not like their website........something which you are neither beholden to use nor need to have any traffic in??

Put the shoe on the other foot for a minute, and think about what you are proposing.
Is it fair, in ANY respect, to ruin someone's business because you do not like how its run?
Might be time to invoke some common sense.

Why not just not patronize or acknowledge them at all, and let them carry on as they please?
If they badly manage their site and forums, people and advertisers will leave of their own accord.

Fomenting that, or seeking to "get rid of them" makes those that do not like them as BAD as they claim the managers of Hisstank to be.

Actually, yes it is.  That is what most boycotts are about.  As well, most people/consumers have limited options when it comes to "media."

That is why the boycott of sponsors, and letter writing to them is generally the only recourse. 

Granted, like with most media, I feel the "don't like it, don't use it" ideal is better for all involved.

However, IF, and I do mean IF this is Destro/Kickback/Tony's only livelihood, then he should remember that he is running a business that needs customers.  So what do most businesses do?  They do as much as they possibly can to keep their customers happy.  He isn't the only game in town and if your business gets a reputation for shady practices, then you are in trouble.  His protectionism practices are what alienate people, and a member, or non-member, has the right to take umbrage with his practices any way they see fit, including boycotting his sites/sponsors/etc.  They are the ones paying the bills, so they are the ones you have to contact when you feel you aren't being heard.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:44:40 PM by canprime »

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »

Quote from: "ARROW"

When I had my toy store for 6 years, I didn't like all the other toy/comic store owners. BUT, I always referred people to them, and even had directions to their stores from my store, on my website.

Why did I do this? To BETTER THE HOBBY.
I also did it because I'm not stupid. I know people are aware of other stores out there, I was using the other stores to promote my store, and those stores (most times) returned the favour.  I enjoyed telling other people to check out this store of that store. 99.9% of the time they came back - even if it was just to say thanks for telling them about the other place.

You see, with a store, or a site - being friends, or at least cordial with the other stores / sites is always good business. You never know when you may need one of them at some point in time. As is proven with the recent backlash with HT.

Hi$$Tanks policy is such that if we want to promote the Canadian Joe Convention (The ONLY Joe Con in Canada by the way), we would have to become a sponsor.
Why?... Why does yojoe.com, joecustoms.com, joesightings, etc etc etc all promote the Canadian Joe Con every year (formally the Canadian Joe Meet), yet Hi$$Tank has NEVER posted it as front page news?  Hasbro is involved with it.... Larry Hama was at it last year... we have a great turnout and people are always happy.... so why don't they even mention it on the main page?...... I actually KNOW the reason for this now, it all became clear to me a week or so ago, courtesy of a mod at HT. (Mod, not Admin - the Admin is the problem apparently).

So, while it may not cost us anything if HT still operates how they are, I see NO reason why we should help them to make more money by allowing those links and referrals, thus allowing more people to sign up to their boards, and have the owner use those extra members as MORE reason to charge high amounts of money to their sponsors.

For the record, JoeCanuck.com is also a business - but we only strive to break even and enjoy giving back to the Joe community. Which is why we have a FREE newsletter each month and have given out thousands of free trading cards.

Each site has it's own reasons why they don't want anything to do with HT. The treatment one of our members got when he posted the news of a free newsletter is why we don't want anything to do with them now.

Should someone post that the newest Newsletter is available on that site, or post info about the Canadian GI Joe Convention - then great, we thank you for it, and I'd thank HT as well if they posted it on the main page. But we don't expect it, especially going forward from today.

Lets see if this makes more sense: (Inspired by something Jin Satome said)

Collecting is a hobby that should be shared for free. That includes sharing any sites, news, pictures, and any knowledge (old or new) that will help the next person enjoy the hobby more.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:10:42 PM by Anonymous »