JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Garage Sales  (Read 4804 times)

sniper

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
Garage Sales
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:50:58 PM »

Has anybody had much luck finding 80's joes at garage sales?  After at least 5 years of semi-regular "saling" my wife and son found 5 1987-1989 Joe vehicles.  The more shocking thing was most were complete (though I had to go back and look at his grab bags to find some accessories).

And of all places it happened in our humble little town here.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Tattoo Shane

• View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
Garage Sales
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 06:41:43 PM »

I think humble little towns are the only places to get garage sale finds anymore. The cities are rife with "professional" garage sailers who go so far as to camp outside people's houses.

The last big Joe score i had was 5 summers ago and i couldn't tell you the last time i found a SW piece at a G sale. Karlee had a nice MLP score last year but nothing so far this summer.
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Garage Sales
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 03:02:21 AM »

I don't go to many, but the ones I have been to have been a void for any 80's related toys - actually as far as that goes - they have been a void for anything that I would be interested in from any recent decade.
No Tranformers
No He-Man
No Marvel Legends
No Batman or DC stuff
No Joe stuff

I don't think people sell their kids toys the way they used to - or maybe people just hold onto them thinking they will make it rich some day?

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Garage Sales
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 03:13:38 AM »

Quote from: ""akpayne""
I don't think people sell their kids toys the way they used to - or maybe people just hold onto them thinking they will make it rich some day?

Or they have already gotten rid of the toys.  Once you get kid of your kid's childhood toys, that is it.  Most of the yard sales I have stopped by are for furniture, clothes and other household junk.  Toys from the 1980s are drying up.  And with ebay in the picture, this trend is only going to get worse.  The next generation of toys you will see at yard sales will be Power Rangers, Pokeman and a ton of other crappy 1990 toys.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
Garage Sales
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:31:29 AM »

Ditto with what Aaron and Pete said. I've passed by garage sales on my bike rides and never seen any sign of toys. I think one of the ways people get rid of them is by handing them down to a Salvation Army or Goodwill. It's what I have done with most of my childhood stuff, and I remember seeing boxes of toys from other folks at the drop-in lot, right beside the broken Commodore 64s and Ataris.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Garage Sales
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »

:shock:

I can here today specifically looking for this thread.

There is a Garage Sale about 4 blocks away from the store...... they have a BOXED Cobra TerrorDrome.

I asked how much it was and this is exactly how the conversation went.

M- me
G - Garage Sale Guy

M - How much is this?

G - Well, I was looking on ebay at prices and I would like to get about $300.00 for it.

M - ebay? Why don't you just list it there then instead of leaving it out in the hot sun and having the box discolor and stickers peel inside it.

G - Oh it won't do that much damage - besides, someone will pick it up before then.

I then looked inside it - the AVAC pilot was still sealed.

M - I'll give you $200.00 for it - but I have to tell you - that is the most I've paid for a toy at a Garage Sale!

G - No. I really can't. If it doesn't sell today, I have a place my brother in law said would most likely take it for what I'm asking.

M - You do? Where's that?

(Can you see it coming.... can you feel it.... I could.... I was starting to smirk!!)

G - It's called Bounty Hunter Toys. It's just up at Fennell next to the gas station. I know they'll pay the $300.00 no questions asked.

M - Yeah, I know the place pretty well..... I don't think he'll pay you the $300.00 mind you - but you never know. Good luck then.

G - Are you interested in figures at all?

M - You have some? Where?

G - RIght here - they're $5.00 each or 3 for $12.00

As I looked in the box, I saw two joes missing arms - dug through a little and said:

M - Nothing here I can use. Thanks. See you later.

The guy gave me a puzzled look.

:-)

Who knows.... maybe he'll bring me the Terror Drome today!
Mike

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Garage Sales
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »

Are you suggesting that I camp out in from of a drop off bin if I want a "new to me" Commodor 64?

Tattoo Shane

• View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
Garage Sales
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 11:56:12 AM »

Now that's comedy Mike. I would have busted a nut trying not to let the guy know that you were BHT. Here's hoping he brings it to you this week!
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Agent_Loop

• phpBB CanJoeCon Staff
  • Back-Stop Wannabe
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jasonloo.com/
Garage Sales
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 12:53:22 PM »

Mike, that's a funny story! I hope he does end up coming to your store with the Terror Drome.

Aaron, yes, second-hand shops are your best bet for Commodore 64s, Ataris, old school Nintendos and Segas! Mind you, my parents had the nerve to hand mine over to them even when it was internally kaputz!

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
Garage Sales
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:29:59 PM »

Just for the record - he didn't come by today.
I told a buddy of mine about it after I opened so he went to check out the 'sale'......... the Drome was gone - doesn't mean it sold - but it was gone.

Also, just so people know....

I'm in the market for a Commodore 64.
BROWN STYLE.

Keyboard, disc drive. New monitor would work as well (but I have two!).
;-)
mike

Colonel Abernathy

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/sabulicious
Garage Sales
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

I'd expect people to get stupid about prices on eBay, or at a second-hand store, or even a flea market...but a garage sale is supposed to be a chance for the original owners to get rid of all their crap in one day and make a little money off it.  Expecting to get market value for a collectible at a garage sale is just weird.
Sabu

Check out my music:

www.myspace.com/sabuthejungleboy

akpayne

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
Garage Sales
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 11:47:22 PM »

I have been casually looking for a brown Commodore 64 as well - and funny enough I also have atleast 1 extra monitor for it.
Sad thing is there is no way I could pay more than  $40 for it.  I have seen them go on ebay for over $150, but I just can't part with that much money for something I only want to play Jump Man on!