JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Looking for GI Joe fans for new TV show  (Read 13230 times)

Jennifer1005

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Looking for GI Joe fans for new TV show
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:36:18 AM »

My name is Jennifer and I?m working on a brand new television series about fans of TV shows.  I?m researching an episode on the GI Joe and I thought I?d post a message here in the hopes of getting in touch with some big fans.  Here?s a little about our show:

It?s a 26 part documentary series which explores popular TV shows through the eyes of the fans.  Each episode will focus on a different program - everything from Buffy the Vampire Slayer to The Simpsons, and of course GI Joe - and will feature 2-3 fans of the program from Canada and the US.  The series will unearth: why the fans love the show, how watching the show and collecting memorabilia makes them feel, what their friends and family think of their love for the show, and the culture of their particular fandom (individual shows express their fandom differently ? look at Sex & the City fans compared to Star Trek fans).  

The show will air in Canada on TVtropolis, a new Canadian Network devoted to airing re-runs of classic TV shows.  More information about our series can be found at our company?s website at http://www.peacepoint.tv/pr/ABOUTFANatical.pdf

If you?re interested in participating or may be able to offer assistance please drop me a line at jennifer@peacepoint.tv

I look forward to your reply,
Jennifer
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Jay

• HATE Mechanic
  • Won a record for "longest time as Shatner's hair".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:42:16 PM »

Oh, bummer. I'm mainly a fan of the GIJoe toyline and comic book. The cartoon's appeal wasn't much of an impact on me, mainly because Duke is such a DORK in it.
You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

Stealth Viper

• Administrator
  • Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 09:05:10 PM »

Sounds like fun. You've got an email
Quote from: \"Pete The Greek\"
My review of the Rat:

A little piece of crap.

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 03:51:57 PM »

I am still pondering over it.  The cartoon is the only reason why I got hooked onto GI JOE as a kid.  

However, I don't represent the typical sterotype you would assume.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

SID

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://neoengel.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 01:36:11 AM »

I've heard about these people, and I'm going to avoid them.

I'm also wary of the term fanatical, regardless of how it's capitalized.  I hear that word and automatically think of psycho celeb stalkers and suicide bombers.

This is part of what their original email said>Peace Point Entertainment Group
><!-- w -->www.peacepoint.tv<!-- w --> / <!-- e --><a href="mailto:info@peacepoint.tv">info@peacepoint.tv</a><!-- e -->
>FANatical
>
>FANatical is a new television series, produced in association with
>Canada's Global Television Network, about the world's most obsessive
>television fans. They go gaga over actors, characters, story plots,
>conspiracy theories, locations, props, sets, wardrobe and makeup.
>They even go nuttier over dialogue, dissecting every word and phrase
>used by a particular character.
>
>Take for instance the growing obsession over LOST. With the show's
>numerous plot twists, character backstories, and frustrating amount
>of mystery it's no wonder there are hundreds of websites devoted to
>the series by obsessed fans the world over. FANatical tracks down
>the most ardent of those enthusiasts and brings them into the
>spotlight, shedding light on what makes a TV fan tic.
>The series FANatical acknowledges that there exists all level of
>fandom out there, so it chooses to profile those most passionate ?
>those who are the most serious and also have the most fun with it.
>We're not judging?we're there to laugh with them and join in their
>extreme enthusiasm.
>
>Each episode profiles 2-3 obsessed fans and one show-based event. We
>see the fans' `themed' homes, their memorabilia collections, their
>fan correspondence?in essence, their celebrity shrines. We tag along
>with them to fan club meetings, celebrity-spotting missions and even
>conventions. Wherever they go to fulfill their FANatical obsessions
>we go. In an episode we may track three Trekkies; one who's in love
>with Leonard Nimoy (Dr. Spock) and wears Spock ears to work; another
>who lives, eats and breathes as a Trekkie to the point of having the
>entire Captain's Log memorized by entry number and a third psycho
>fan who speaks Klingon and has a veritable shrine to Warf. Yes
>friends, there is a school devoted to the language ? The Klingon
>Language Institute.
>
>The episode topics and fanaticism range from the obvious shows like
>Star Trek to the more obscure cult classics like Beauty and the
>Beast. Plus we explore the ways these eccentric fans successfully
>influence publicity decisions, casting choices and the production of
>stars by lobbying the studios, complaining to the press and forming
>fan clubs. They even keep the studios on their toes with their
>incessant scrutiny of script authenticity and plot line integrity.
>Beyond the unique look into television FANatical provides, through
>the eyes of the `psycho-fan', we add a touch of reality when we
>delve into these obsessed individuals' lives?their day jobs, their
>families and their friends and how their manias affect their
>relationships and daily routines. Dig deep enough and what we likely
>will find is that their fanaticism has taken its toll ?dissolved
>relationships, lost jobs and broken dreams.
>FANatical is a visually captivating and sensory stimulating series
>that delves into the world of television from a whole new
>perspective ?through the eyes and minds of the psycho TV celebrity
>fan. Viewers get the fly-on-the-wall perspective as we show a true
>picture of our subjects' lives and their bizarre, obsessive
>behaviors.
>
>Peace Point Entertainment Group is a Toronto-based independent
>producer of cutting-edge television content for the worldwide
>market. To date, the company has produced over 200 hours of
>television content with distribution in over 25 international
>markets.
>? 2006 All Rights Reserved Peace Point Entertainment Group[/i][/quote]

Someone was sent that one apparently by mistake ... really, you think? 

Perhaps they misjudged the bizarre, obsessive behaviours of FANatics who are actually just decent normal people who enjoy having fun and often particiapte in charity events in the process of celebrating their fandom?

There was some back tracking on Peace Point TV's part and they issued the following statement:

"I'd like to apologize for the distress caused by information sent
out in error from our office on the focus and intent of our series
FANatical. The information circulated was from a write up generated
during the development phase of or production. Since then, the
focus and aim of the series have changed completely as is often the
case with the development of television concepts. Our full intent
with this project is to celebrate television fans. Please be
assured that our portrayal of all fans and their varying expressions
of fandom will be fun, insightful and respectful. We are working
hard to produce a documentary-style series that explores larger
social themes such as the impact television has on all of us. I
realize some television fans have had negative experiences with
production companies in the past. Please be assured that fans
taking part in our series will be portrayed fairly and with
integrity. For more information, please visit our website at
peacepoint.tv. We will be posting more information on Monday June
"

So, when they were being creative they came up with this:

Beyond the unique look into television FANatical provides, through
>the eyes of the `psycho-fan', we add a touch of reality when we
>delve into these obsessed individuals' lives?their day jobs, their
>families and their friends and how their manias affect their
>relationships and daily routines. Dig deep enough and what we likely
>will find is that their fanaticism has taken its toll ?dissolved
>relationships, lost jobs and broken dreams.

Charming.

I was a bit dubious of their intentions beforehand, but now I'm even less inclined to continue any further communication with them.

Sorry for the lack of posting lately, it's been busy around here ;)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:43:46 PM by SID »
Sid, host of the Snake-Eyes Tribute site
www.neoengel.com/snakeeyes

Sid\'s Snake-Eyes Costumes

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 02:40:23 PM »

Interesting. The show sounds even more "psycho" than the people they'd like to showcase. And coming from a television background, i can assure you, they'll probably stop at nothing to make these people seem as obsessed and out of touch with reality than is really the case.

It really cheeses me off when mainstream media attempts to discuss, analyze and expose various subcultures that they honestly have no clue about or even business discussing only to end up singling people out for "everyone else" to gawk at for 23 mins. On the outside, any subculture might seem "psycho" to those uneducated or who don't belong but in the end, most of the people who participate in these types of things are just normal average folks who have taken an interest in something and "fandom" simply gives them an outlet for which to share it with other like-minded people.

I'm good friends with SW collectors who have visited shooting locations, who have homes and warehouses dedicated to it and yes, you guessed it, even those who have tattooed themselves in related imagery (ME). And you know, they're all normal people - or at the very least, no less normal than obsessive sports fans who wear foam puck hats and jersies to work during the playoffs or paint their faces at games. Everybody has something that they're into.

That's not to say that there aren't psycho fans like they're looking for but the bottom line is those people need help, seriously, and shouldn't be given any undue attention for what may well be a serious mental disorder.

I'm sure these producers would look at a person like myself, whose basement is covered in toys, whose skin is tattooed with images from SW and GI Joe and whose vacations generally surround the hobby in some way; and think that i'd be the perfect candidate for this kind of crap TV. Sorry to disappoint, but i'm just not that interesting. ;) And believe it or not, but i have a lot more in my life than just *this*. Whatever happened to the good ol'days when they used to make docs and TV series' that tastefully showcased people's collections (The Incurable Collector anyone?) instead of trying to get dirt and turn everything into a "reality" nightmare?

TV sucks.
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

Pete The Greek

• Administrator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »

Thanks SID.  I suspected as much.  Hence, the reason why I pondered over it.  Upon the additional info, I don't fit the criteria for shock and awe TV.  And all the guys I have meet in the hobby wouldn't fit the criteria either.  They are more normal than one would associate with the typical geek sterotype.  (i.e look here http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/09/20/white-and-nerdy/ )  

For myself, there is a clear divide between the hobby and my regular day to day life.  I don't have anything GI JOE related at the office nor do I pretend to be character like Serpentor and scream "where are my Vipers".  The only time I even talk about GI JOEs is with other guys in the hobby (online or in person).  The same applies when I watch sports.  I don't face paint or dress up like a clown to prove I am bigger sports fan.  

And Shane, well stated.
Go Leafs Go - just end '67

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2006, 11:24:53 PM »

First, Pete- that was funny as hell.

Unfortunately, I had a few customers like that.... one even showed up to the store in his Klingon outfit. Yes.... I'm serious.

To date, the ONLY show I've seen that has done collectors any 'justice' to speak has been The Incurable Collector, and 'It Came From The Basement" on Space.... I've had a total of 7 customers featured on it. One even got me a plug. (It was a custom I made for him).

The typical fan is like any 'normal' person.... what's normal anyway?
Am I the abnormal because I don't have any tattoos?..... Or am I normal because I know all the ghosts names on Pac-Man.

Anyway, this lady has never posted or been back to the site since her initial posting here.... I think Ed said she was going to contact her.... I'd suggest changing it Ed. They'd find 'something' odd with you being a father, husband, and 'normal' guy I'm sure. ;-)
Mike

Jennifer1005

• phpBB Newbie
    • View Profile
Wow, all I can say is Wow
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 10:39:58 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Wow, all I can say is Wow.  It?s a shame that our series is subject to an online smear campaign.  Luckily, I have a rather strong rebuttal to all the posts here ?
Watch our Show!  That?s right, it?s already on air.  Please feel free to tune into TVtropolis this Tuesday at 7pm and again at 11:30pm ET/PT.  Take a look and you?ll see that there is not a wicked bone in the body of our program.  

It?s been difficult to convince people that our intentions are not malicious with this series due to the fact that other programs in the past have exploited individuals for cheap laughs.  Peace Point Entertainment Group Inc. and TVtropolis do not subscribe to this sort of humor.  TVtropolis is a new network devoted to airing reruns of classic TV shows.  If our series poked fun at TV fans, we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by essentially alienating our target viewing audience.  In addition, on a personal level, my best friend is a Xena fan and collector, and I would never betray the trust of someone so dear to me ? yes there are people in this industry with scruples, and I?m one of them.

We are not looking for "crazed fans", but rather human interest stories that portray the importance of television and various forms of fandom out there.  Certain fans enjoy dressing in costumes and keeping tabs on actors, and if that?s how they enjoy expressing their fandom, all the power to them.  If you judge them for doing this it?s far more telling of your character than their?s.  

I hope that after watching the series you?ll be kind enough to retract the statements made on this board.  

Sorry about the show confusion,
Jennifer.

Tattoo Shane

• phpBB Frostback Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tattoosandtoys.com
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »

Jennifer, it's great to see that you came back to the thread to help clear up any confusion surrounding your show.

Judging then from your reply, and history in the television industry, i certainly hope you can understand why people might be leary to trust televison producers, notably because of their less than glorious track record with stories like these.

I don't have TVTropolis so i'm afraid i won't be able to check out the show but if it truly is what you're making it out to be, then i certainly wish you the best of luck with it. Just don't get too discouraged if you meet resistance along the way, especially from those of us who also work in television. ;)
our Toys....Our Tattoos
www.tattoosandtoys.com

SID

• phpBB Joe Canuck Trooper
    • View Profile
    • http://neoengel.com
Rectal-Cranial Inversion?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »

Quote from: ""Jennifer1005""
Hi Everyone,

Wow, all I can say is Wow. It?s a shame that our series is subject to an online smear campaign. Luckily, I have a rather strong rebuttal to all the posts here ?
Watch our Show! That?s right, it?s already on air. Please feel free to tune into TVtropolis this Tuesday at 7pm and again at 11:30pm ET/PT. Take a look and you?ll see that there is not a wicked bone in the body of our program.

It?s been difficult to convince people that our intentions are not malicious with this series due to the fact that other programs in the past have exploited individuals for cheap laughs. Peace Point Entertainment Group Inc. and TVtropolis do not subscribe to this sort of humor. TVtropolis is a new network devoted to airing reruns of classic TV shows. If our series poked fun at TV fans, we would be shooting ourselves in the foot by essentially alienating our target viewing audience. In addition, on a personal level, my best friend is a Xena fan and collector, and I would never betray the trust of someone so dear to me ? yes there are people in this industry with scruples, and I?m one of them.

We are not looking for "crazed fans", but rather human interest stories that portray the importance of television and various forms of fandom out there. Certain fans enjoy dressing in costumes and keeping tabs on actors, and if that?s how they enjoy expressing their fandom, all the power to them. If you judge them for doing this it?s far more telling of your character than their?s.

I hope that after watching the series you?ll be kind enough to retract the statements made on this board.

Sorry about the show confusion,
Jennifer.

I'll consider watching the show, but it disturbs me that you would resort to calling comments based on your company's own previous release (showing some of the original intent) as a smear campaign.

I'd just call it some savvy media smarts to konw what was said originally and that intent had originally existed.  CTRL+C and Print Screen are very powerful commodities on the intarwebs.

I got your email Jen, and I'm still not impressed, neither are some of my friends in other fandoms that provided me with some additional information.  People have a right to be aware that your company may not have had the best of intentions when they began - that was shameful and I find the cover-up, er, cough, appology too little, too late.

The concept that your company would ever print out or even discuss as a possibility the content within the original release is disgusting and disrespectful.  

Smear campaign - no.  
Knowing more of the background and making a decision based on available intel - yes.  

After all, knowing is half the battle.

I would suggest you mind your choice of words in the future... then again, had your company done so originally...
Sid, host of the Snake-Eyes Tribute site
www.neoengel.com/snakeeyes

Sid\'s Snake-Eyes Costumes

Scramble

• phpBB Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 02:51:29 PM »

I mentioned Joecanuck in an e-mail with Jennifer so there's a good chance I'm responsible for her posting here. And while I'm disapointed in the contents of the Press Release SID posted, I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to hear from anyone that's caught the show. Even if it's borderline Trekkies, I thought that documentary was a nice enough balance of fans that knew a healthy limit from those that took their obsession too far.
Updated!