JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Review of Dr. Rex & Charbroil  (Read 3450 times)

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Review of Dr. Rex & Charbroil
« on: September 16, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »

Ah yes, it's time again for another one of olyeller01's figure reviews.  If you guys ever get annoyed and want me to stop, just tell me  ;D  Until then you're pretty much stuck with hearing what I think about any new figs I pick up.

First up is Dr. Rex.  I ordered him from HasbroToyShop when I ordered my Charbroil figure, and much to my surprise and delight, I got the white coat variant, which was the one I really wanted anyway.  According to some of the guys over at YoJoe, all the Dr. Rexes shipped with Wave 4 are going to be the white-coat ones.  Rexie comes with his coat, bullpup-style assault rifle that the ROC line seems to favor, a "nano-injector" pistol, large claw hands, a briefcase, and three canisters of "nanites" to go in the case. 

Of course it fits with both his treatment in the movie and with the coat, but Rexie is a stick figure under that coat.  Very thin and skinny looking.  Remove the coat, and you get a very plain-looking figure (who also looks odd because his arms are white but the rest of his suit is black).  But the coat adds some beef to the figure.  What's truly amazing is the head.  Very nicely sculpted and movie-accurate, the head and breathing apparatus are all sculpted into one very-nice looking piece.  But the real highlight? The doctor's hair is actually just a wig.  Remove it and there's sculpted and painted scarring all over Rexie's head. 

Which brings me to my only complaint.  The wig does not stay on very well, and I can see it going the way of Heavy Metal & Lift Ticket's mikes down the road as the most commonly lost ROC piece.  I tipped the figure a little too far moving him from the counter to my desk and I had to spend 5 minutes looking for that accursed wig. 

Overall I feel that Dr. Rex is a very strong figure and his accessories are pretty neat.  I'm not a big fan of those bullpup rifles, but even I have to admit that the one Rex comes with is a pretty nice one.  I also really like the canisters & briefcase.  I like this figure so much that I may just have to find a black-coated one after all.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
Charbroil
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »

Charbroil was one of my first ARAH figures.  Looking back, his color scheme wasn't the prettiest.  In fact that brown was downright ugly in my opinion.  That's all changed with the new Charbroil.

Charbroil's body is a repaint of Resolute Duke's.  His chestpiece, flamethrower, & backpack are repaints of 25th Blowtorch's.  The head is hidden underneath a repainted helmet from Resolute 5-pack Duke.  So how can this mishmash of two completely different figures combine to give me one of the best I've seen?

At his core Charbroil is nothing new, but this figure is a great testament to Hasbro's skill with paint apps.  The paint apps on this Charbroil make him look flat incredible and show how some simple paint can completely change a figure.  He's a very nice deep red color, with gray, black, silver, and bright yellow highlights.  There are a ton of little details, too.  The tanks on the backpack are painted gray against the red backpack, which not only looks very nice it keeps the backpack from looking kind of ridiculous like Blowtorch's does.  The chestpiece has paint apps that resemble scorch marks.  The helmet is given a bright yellow stripe running front to back across the top.  The gray and black boots offset nicely against the red pants.

The only thing that I see as both a positive and a negative on this figure is the head underneath that repainted Duke helmet.  Under the helmet is a plain head with a vac-metal chrome plating.  This looks very nice combined with the helmet because the chrome makes it appear that Charbroil's helmet has a reflective visor.  The positive is that it looks awesome.  The negative is that an ARAH character that had a removable helmet now doesn't, and customizers are out another potentially nice-looking head sculpt to work some magic with.

Bottom line on Charbroil?  He's a very, very nice looking figure that is going to become the main flamethrower in my Joeverse.  I much prefer his outfit to Blowtorch's neat-looking but ridiculous bright yellow.  Blowtorch's color scheme always seemed to me to say, "Hey Cobra troops, I'm carrying one of the most fearsome weapons available, and I also happen to have a tank of extremely volatile material strapped to my back!  For your convenience, I've dressed in the absolute brightest thing I could find, so I'll be easier to pick out and snipe.  Enjoy!"  While Charbroil still has kind of a bright color scheme, it's much more subdued and easier on the eyes than Blowtorch's. 

Charbroil was the only wave 4 figure that I was really interested in besides Night Adder (who was already sold out when I ordered CB & Rex).  Kamakura & the others haven't really attracted me so we'll see if Charbroil and Night Adder end up being the stars of Wave 4 like I think they will.
OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!

Raptor

• Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Review of Dr. Rex & Charbroil
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 10:19:49 PM »

PICS!

:chicken:
\"\'Must-look-akward-ya-hoo!\"

B

• phpBB Timbit Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 06:37:30 AM »

yeah I agree with Raptor, I need pics. I like your reviews but I need the pictures to go with it. Keep up the good work.

morgardee

• Pimp Daddy Destro
  • SNAKE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »

You know, I was about to say this was a good review but just needed one more thing, Pics! Looks like Raps beat me too it.

Keep up the reviews.
Night Force, the exact opposite of everything chrome.

olyeller01

• phpBB Newsletter Staff
  • phpBB HATE Mechanic
  • Paint-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

OlYeller01
Paint/Mustang Man
Reviewer at Large!