JoeCanuck

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Red and white once again! We've restored the classic look of JoeCanuck.

Author Topic: Star Trek movie wave 2 figures cancelled..what really happened?  (Read 3369 times)

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile

This has been bugging me for a while. Not that I'm an admirer of the wave 1 Star trek movie figures, but wave 2 seemed more promising because of its alien offerings and more action look. At first, it was cancelled as a regular store release, and I'm sure that the obviously poor sales performance of the first wave had something to do with it, and then there was news that it was going to be an Entertainment Earth exclusive only...

However Entertainment Earth removed the wave from their listings after only a few days of announcing they would be exclusives. But I never knew why, I mean I know Entertainment Earth explained that the items were pulled from their listing due to the items not beeing available by the manufacturer anymore. Does anyone have inside info why exactly it got cancelled? By that I mean official Playmates announcements.

Thanks if you can help!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
2 + 2 = 22

dodge822

• phpBB Shiver Wannabe
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek movie wave 2 figures cancelled..what really happened?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »

i actually like the star trek figures, i just wish i had of bought them.
General Hawk: Technically, G.I. Joe does not exist, but if it did, it\'d be comprised of the top men and women from the top military units in the world, the alpha dog\'s. When all else fails, we don\'t.

BHMike

• Administrator
  • Pimp Daddy Destro
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bountyhuntertoys.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 07:43:06 PM »

According to the Playtrek.com mailing list I'm on, it was purely due to a lack of sales, and no movie tie-in to promote it.

EE must of jumped the gun and offered the wave up, only to realize it's wasn't coming.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:30:24 AM »

Quote from: "dodge822"
i actually like the star trek figures, i just wish i had of bought them.

This is a risk that us collectors are usually willing to take when we pass on a line when it's offered. We know that it could mean a reward when it comes out on clearance, like it could sign the death to the toyline's future. Exceptionnally in the case of the Star trek movie franchise, Playmates is the only one to be blamed in the toyline's early stop, as they didn't do the Star Trek figures with a quality that could measure with Star Wars and other Sci-Fi based product or even look up to the quality of their predecessor Star Trek toylines, so I'm sorry to say that they should've seen it coming, and that it's really the company's fault if their figures did not appeal to most Star Trek or new fans. I'm a Star Trek fan of the Captain Kirk's crew and its movies), and I loved the new movie, but I was repelled by the look of these figures. I ended up only buying Spock and Urura as souvenirs...But overall those figures and Terminator Salvation figures are simply put inferior when compared to today's toy design quality standards. And wave 2 seemed to promise the best. Unless the prototypes were just looking good on the photos, and would've been nothing near as fancy once released, which would not have surprised me either.
2 + 2 = 22

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:47 AM »

Quote from: "THE Mikeā„¢"
According to the Playtrek.com mailing list I'm on, it was purely due to a lack of sales, and no movie tie-in to promote it.

EE must of jumped the gun and offered the wave up, only to realize it's wasn't coming.

Thanks Mike. That is probably the best inside info I got so far. And it makes perfect sense because EE updated their listing as "Cancelled" only within a few days.

I wonder if early prototypes or actual figures made it past pre mass production and if they have hit Ebay if such is the case...
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »

Didn't Playmates do the Terminator Salvation line as well?  Those figures were terrible, I only bought them when they were reduced to $2 at Walmart...
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:50:26 AM »

Quote from: "bandonov"
Didn't Playmates do the Terminator Salvation line as well?  Those figures were terrible, I only bought them when they were reduced to $2 at Walmart...

Unless you are buying them for customs, these Terminator figures are not even worth paying two dollars for. I'm noticing that this is a typical syndrome that affects most collectors (including myself a few times): why do we keep buying crap even when it's a penny? That penny could be put to much better use!  :lol: Sometimes I think we become some kind of collective borg, you know, the type that answers to Clearance Low Prices that "Resistance is futile"....
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »

Bottom line - those figures were worth $6-7.  At best.  They likely assumed the going price for 3.75 figs was $10 Cdn and went with it.  They bungled the Canadian release further by not including the Bridge and Transporter pack-in pieces.

I did buy the crew in uniform - only paid full price for Kirk and Spock.  Too bad we'll never see McCoy in blue or Checkov in yellow.  If I could find it, the transporter is worth $10.

There's always the sequel.
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »

Quote from: "pdaat"
Bottom line - those figures were worth $6-7.  At best.  They likely assumed the going price for 3.75 figs was $10 Cdn and went with it.  They bungled the Canadian release further by not including the Bridge and Transporter pack-in pieces.

I did buy the crew in uniform - only paid full price for Kirk and Spock.  Too bad we'll never see McCoy in blue or Checkov in yellow.  If I could find it, the transporter is worth $10.

There's always the sequel.

True, with a sequel should come new toys. But let's not forget that Wrath of Kahn didn't get any due to the Motion Pictures' and Mego poor sales against successful Kenner. But will the license stay with Playmates for the trek toys. That's a good question.
2 + 2 = 22

bandonov

• Black Ice Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 11:02:55 AM »

Quote from: "latinjoe22"
True, with a sequel should come new toys. But let's not forget that Wrath of Kahn didn't get any due to the Motion Pictures' and Mego poor sales against successful Kenner. But will the license stay with Playmates for the trek toys. That's a good question.

I hope Playmates does not have the license anymore, I can't stand there poorly made figures!
Lurking

latinjoe22

• Global Moderator
  • Mudslinger Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:14 AM »

Playmates toys didn't always suck...

Their people did a great job with Start Trek TNG (and the later TV show franchises) and TMNT, and even Flash Gordon to some extent, a few years ago.

But I think the Star Trek movie toy license should go to an actually experienced company such as Hasbro or even Mattel.
2 + 2 = 22

pdaat

• phpBB Chacal Noir Wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »

Playmates hasn't really done much in the realm of high articulation 3.75.  Mattel needs to do some work too.

Here's hoping Bandai doesn't screw up the Thundercats!
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.